You are not logged in.

#51 2012-07-14 17:12:19

srgrn
Member
Registered: 2012-07-14
Posts: 1

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

I had the same problem however in my case after running
as suggested in previous replay i had found an extra directory (modules) in the lib directory removing it and than upgrading solved it
Thanks

Offline

#52 2012-07-14 17:36:17

jancici
Member
From: Kalinovo,SK
Registered: 2011-12-04
Posts: 119

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

hi
I did mange to update witout error but I am not able to boot now, please, can someone write to answers to my new thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 6#p1129426
thank you

Offline

#53 2012-07-14 18:03:27

colbert
Member
Registered: 2007-12-16
Posts: 809

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

felixonmars wrote:

Then I did the following steps to bring my machine back to live, hope this helps someone else tongue

1. reboot, edit the line starting with linux(or kernel) in grub, add:

init=/usr/lib/ld-2.16.so /bin/sh

2. remount the disk rw:

/usr/lib/ld-2.16.so /bin/mount -o remount,rw /

3. remove the EMPTY(yes, the error above will leave it empty) /lib folder:

/usr/lib/ld-2.16.so /bin/rmdir /lib

4. ln /usr/lib to /lib:

/usr/lib/ld-2.16.so /bin/ln -s usr/lib /lib

5. press ctrl-alt-del to reboot the machine, and re-install glibc using pacman.

Then everything is back to normal, without using a rescue cd tongue

I am stuck after an accidental --force update with a kernel panic, so I tried the above, and after step 1 and booting in, I get a shell but I cannot type. Every keystroke entered flashes numlock. This is the same thing when I try the other solution here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 1#p1127251

Appreciate any help.

Offline

#54 2012-07-14 18:26:35

andreas_baumann
Member
Registered: 2011-05-04
Posts: 14

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

Maybe the pacman binary should be linked statically to glibc or there should be a /usr/bin/pacman.static, so one can correct the
problem also in a running system. The same applies for all the other shared libraries.. Just a thought.

Offline

#55 2012-07-14 18:39:51

jancici
Member
From: Kalinovo,SK
Registered: 2011-12-04
Posts: 119

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

okay, I did solve my trouble with booting.
a) I did boot "install CD"
b) mount ROOT and BOOT partition
c) follow others mounts from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chroot
d) chroot .....
e) pacman -S linux
f) exit & umount & reboot
g) booting fixed system and writing this message :-)

Offline

#56 2012-07-14 19:11:05

andreas_baumann
Member
Registered: 2011-05-04
Posts: 14

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

The trick of 'colbert' works, but I'm not sure if the linking of /lib to /usr/lib is a good idea. The 'pacman -S glibc' stores the
C library into /usr/lib (which work as long as the symlink /lib is kept). Issues may arise later if the /lib symlink is kept permanently.

Offline

#57 2012-07-14 19:15:11

donniezazen
Member
From: Salt Lake City
Registered: 2011-06-24
Posts: 671
Website

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

This is no longer a testing repo problem. I have it in stable repo. I haven't upgraded yet.

Offline

#58 2012-07-14 19:18:14

Mihai238
Member
Registered: 2012-05-17
Posts: 6

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

donniezazen wrote:

This is no longer a testing repo problem. I have it in stable repo. I haven't upgraded yet.

The same problem here.

Offline

#59 2012-07-14 19:58:16

danilo741
Member
From: Cuenca - Ecuador
Registered: 2012-02-13
Posts: 2

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

guys , i've done the felixonmars steps , but the  "3. remove the EMPTY(yes, the error above will leave it empty) /lib folder:

/usr/lib/ld-2.16.so /bin/rmdir /lib"  have remove /lib/modules whit it! , now i cant use eth0, wlan0 , mouse, keyboard (X's) , etc, etc :'(  ..some idea to fix it?

Offline

#60 2012-07-14 20:08:40

padster
Member
Registered: 2012-03-14
Posts: 24
Website

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

So I booted into another distro, moved my /lib folder to /usr/lib, and created the symlink. Now the OS boots, but the update gives me:

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
glibc: /lib exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/ld-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libBrokenLocale-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libBrokenLocale.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libSegFault.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libanl-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libanl.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libc-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcidn-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcidn.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcrypt-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libdl-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libdl.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libm-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libm.so.6 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libmemusage.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnsl-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_compat-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_compat.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_db-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_db.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_dns-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_dns.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_files-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_files.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_hesiod-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_hesiod.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nis-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nis.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nisplus-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nisplus.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libpcprofile.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libpthread-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libresolv-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libresolv.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/librt-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/librt.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libthread_db-1.0.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libthread_db.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libutil-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libutil.so.1 exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Offline

#61 2012-07-14 20:22:09

falconindy
Developer
From: New York, USA
Registered: 2009-10-22
Posts: 4,092
Website

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

padster wrote:

So I booted into another distro, moved my /lib folder to /usr/lib, and created the symlink. Now the OS boots, but the update gives me:

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
glibc: /lib exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/ld-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libBrokenLocale-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libBrokenLocale.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libSegFault.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libanl-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libanl.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libc-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcidn-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcidn.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcrypt-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libdl-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libdl.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libm-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libm.so.6 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libmemusage.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnsl-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_compat-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_compat.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_db-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_db.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_dns-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_dns.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_files-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_files.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_hesiod-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_hesiod.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nis-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nis.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nisplus-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nisplus.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libpcprofile.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libpthread-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libresolv-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libresolv.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/librt-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/librt.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libthread_db-1.0.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libthread_db.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libutil-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libutil.so.1 exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Sure. You deserve that. Go back and read the news post again.

Offline

#62 2012-07-14 20:25:55

rezzo
Member
From: Santiago, Chile
Registered: 2006-04-08
Posts: 22
Website

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

donniezazen wrote:

This is no longer a testing repo problem. I have it in stable repo. I haven't upgraded yet.

Same problem here in a fresh install of Arch stable. Bad day.

Offline

#63 2012-07-14 20:47:24

fatboy
Member
From: India
Registered: 2012-03-17
Posts: 73

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

donniezazen wrote:

This is no longer a testing repo problem. I have it in stable repo. I haven't upgraded yet.

rezzo wrote:

Same problem here in a fresh install of Arch stable. Bad day.

You could try http://allanmcrae.com/2012/07/updating- … e-install/

Offline

#64 2012-07-14 21:27:19

c0dege3k
Member
Registered: 2011-05-10
Posts: 27

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

Roken wrote:
c0dege3k wrote:
Roken wrote:

Boot a live distribution, chroot into Arch and set about fixing things. (Go back and read through this thread for what you will need to do).

I've booted into a Ubuntu Live CD, and am trying the chroot. I've followed every command here and I get this error message when running "chroot . /bin/bash": chroot: failed to run command `bash': No such file or directory.

This is exactly what was happening to me when I was actually in my Arch system and, based on answers in this thread, I feel like it's something screwed up with the symbolic links. Am I right?

OK - see this post - https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 9#p1126729 - (I did suggest that the two threads be merged). that post should help you, but maybe read through that thread as well. Hopefully, it will help get you back on track.

That worked! I'll be sure to never use the force again....

Offline

#65 2012-07-14 21:41:53

watman
Member
Registered: 2012-07-14
Posts: 1

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

I followed these directions and it worked for me. I just had to remove /lib/modules

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … iki:usrlib

Offline

#66 2012-07-14 22:21:43

HaaTa
Member
From: San Jose, CA
Registered: 2009-02-11
Posts: 8
Website

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

HAL seemed to cause me issues (only had it installed due to VMWare Player).
Removed it, and glibc would install nicely...finally.

Offline

#67 2012-07-15 00:54:27

padster
Member
Registered: 2012-03-14
Posts: 24
Website

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

falconindy wrote:
padster wrote:

So I booted into another distro, moved my /lib folder to /usr/lib, and created the symlink. Now the OS boots, but the update gives me:

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
glibc: /lib exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/ld-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libBrokenLocale-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libBrokenLocale.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libSegFault.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libanl-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libanl.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libc-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcidn-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcidn.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcrypt-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libdl-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libdl.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libm-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libm.so.6 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libmemusage.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnsl-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_compat-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_compat.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_db-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_db.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_dns-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_dns.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_files-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_files.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_hesiod-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_hesiod.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nis-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nis.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nisplus-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nisplus.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libpcprofile.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libpthread-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libresolv-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libresolv.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/librt-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/librt.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libthread_db-1.0.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libthread_db.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libutil-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libutil.so.1 exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Sure. You deserve that. Go back and read the news post again.

I read the news post, everything was already up-to-date other than glibc, and it was giving me errors. I read through this thread and wiki page referenced in the news post. The only package that owned anything in /lib was glibc, though some packages were owned by nobody, and some it could not determine the owner.

Offline

#68 2012-07-15 02:10:30

wilberfan
Member
From: So. Cal
Registered: 2010-12-18
Posts: 235

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

padster wrote:
falconindy wrote:
padster wrote:

So I booted into another distro, moved my /lib folder to /usr/lib, and created the symlink. Now the OS boots, but the update gives me:

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
glibc: /lib exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/ld-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libBrokenLocale-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libBrokenLocale.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libSegFault.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libanl-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libanl.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libc-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcidn-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcidn.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcrypt-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libdl-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libdl.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libm-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libm.so.6 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libmemusage.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnsl-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_compat-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_compat.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_db-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_db.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_dns-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_dns.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_files-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_files.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_hesiod-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_hesiod.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nis-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nis.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nisplus-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nisplus.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libpcprofile.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libpthread-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libresolv-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libresolv.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/librt-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/librt.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libthread_db-1.0.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libthread_db.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libutil-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libutil.so.1 exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Sure. You deserve that. Go back and read the news post again.

I read the news post, everything was already up-to-date other than glibc, and it was giving me errors. I read through this thread and wiki page referenced in the news post. The only package that owned anything in /lib was glibc, though some packages were owned by nobody, and some it could not determine the owner.

If it's any consolation, this newb did the same thing, and is in the same situation as yourself...  Will manually deleting all of those files from /usr/lib/ fix it--or just make things worse?

[edit] Forgot to mention this is a 64bit system...  wondering if that will complicate things?

Last edited by wilberfan (2012-07-15 15:16:47)


Hey, be nice...I'm new at this!

Offline

#69 2012-07-15 03:22:21

marco_silva85
Member
Registered: 2012-06-13
Posts: 5

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

wilberfan wrote:
padster wrote:
falconindy wrote:

Sure. You deserve that. Go back and read the news post again.

I read the news post, everything was already up-to-date other than glibc, and it was giving me errors. I read through this thread and wiki page referenced in the news post. The only package that owned anything in /lib was glibc, though some packages were owned by nobody, and some it could not determine the owner.

If it's any consolation, this newb did the same thing, and is in the same situation as yourself...  Will manually deleting all of those files from /usr/lib/ fix it--or just make things worse?

exactly the same thing here..

Offline

#70 2012-07-15 06:04:08

maevius
Member
From: Greece
Registered: 2009-09-10
Posts: 132
Website

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

marco_silva85 wrote:
wilberfan wrote:
padster wrote:

I read the news post, everything was already up-to-date other than glibc, and it was giving me errors. I read through this thread and wiki page referenced in the news post. The only package that owned anything in /lib was glibc, though some packages were owned by nobody, and some it could not determine the owner.

If it's any consolation, this newb did the same thing, and is in the same situation as yourself...  Will manually deleting all of those files from /usr/lib/ fix it--or just make things worse?

exactly the same thing here..


Maybe what I did will help you.

Last edited by maevius (2012-07-15 06:04:37)

Offline

#71 2012-07-15 09:20:29

girzel
Member
Registered: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

maevius wrote:

Maybe what I did will help you.

Nope: the last step (pacman -Su) doesn't update anything. If I specifically say "pacman -S glibc", I get all the "file exists" errors.

Right now, I'm booting with the install disk, mounting "root", and then chrooting into the root mountpoint. My options there seem to be:

1. Delete all the conflicting files, which leaves the system crippled and unable to run "ls", let alone "pacman -S glibc", or

2. Un-tarring the glibc package from my pacman cache, which allows me to then boot normally, but obviously not to update glibc or anything else after that (I get the file exists errors).

Sort of a catch-22: either the files are in the system (boot okay, pacman barfs), or they're not (pacman would work, except it needs the deleted files to do so).

Where do I go from here?

(At least I can get my work done...)

Thanks,
Eric

Offline

#72 2012-07-15 13:58:25

bbhl
Member
Registered: 2011-07-31
Posts: 3

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

For all those who did --force... smile Yeah - I did, a dumb, I know... big_smile But, I have an emergency ARCH partition to boot in case of such an issue. wink Ubuntu live disk will work here as well ( I know... smile ).

Steps done to resolve:

0) cd to the original ARCH / volume.
1) mv lib lib<whatever>
2) ln -s lib and lib64 to usr/lib
3) reboot to the original ARCH. It won't run any GUI or network blaming on... whatever, but will allow an access to the pacman and we have all packages already in cache.
4) pacman -Su. Reboot.
5) "Dynts aka Boom!" - I'm in... GUI = OK. Network = OK. The rest seems OK as well. dmesg reporst no issues.

Good luck! smile

Offline

#73 2012-07-15 14:01:51

Antunes
Member
Registered: 2012-07-15
Posts: 20

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

I have the same problem as girzel. Don't tell me to read the news post, I did that.
After also borking my system for a while, I managed to get it back. Now I upgraded everything except for glibc and it persists to refuse. Here is my output:

% find /lib -exec pacman -Qo -- {} +                                                        ~
error: No package owns /lib

and if I try to upgrade glibc:

Targets (1): glibc-2.16.0-2

Total Installed Size:   37.58 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0.00 MiB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(1/1) checking package integrity                             [################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                  [################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                            [################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
glibc: /lib exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/ld-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libBrokenLocale-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libBrokenLocale.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libSegFault.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libanl-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libanl.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libc-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcidn-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcidn.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcrypt-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libdl-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libdl.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libm-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libm.so.6 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libmemusage.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnsl-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_compat-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_compat.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_db-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_db.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_dns-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_dns.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_files-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_files.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_hesiod-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_hesiod.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nis-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nis.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nisplus-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libnss_nisplus.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libpcprofile.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libpthread-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libresolv-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libresolv.so.2 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/librt-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/librt.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libthread_db-1.0.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libthread_db.so.1 exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libutil-2.16.so exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/lib/libutil.so.1 exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Last edited by Antunes (2012-07-15 14:41:31)

Offline

#74 2012-07-15 16:34:39

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 12,259

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

Antunes wrote:

Don't tell me to read the news post, I did that.

Okay, don't read this
Edit: or this

Last edited by ewaller (2012-07-15 16:37:23)


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Like you, I have no idea what you are doing, but I am pretty sure it is wrong...Jasonwryan
----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Online

#75 2012-07-15 17:41:15

Antunes
Member
Registered: 2012-07-15
Posts: 20

Re: /lib exists in filesystem when installing testing/glibc 2.16.0-2

Well, if I do as in the other thread https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=144616 or the bug report https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/30588 then I get

19:36 % pacman -Qo /lib/* >libstuff.txt                                                           ~
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/accountsservice'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/alsa-lib'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/ao'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/aspell-0.60'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/atkmm-1.6'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/audit'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/avahi'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/awk'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/binfmt.d'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/bonobo'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/brasero3'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/cairo'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/cairomm-1.0'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/chromium'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/cmake'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/colord'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/colord-sensors'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/ConsoleKit'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/coreutils'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/cups'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/dbus-1.0'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/dconf'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/depmod.d'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/device-mapper'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/dhcpcd'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/dri'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/egl'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/enca'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/enchant'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/engines'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/evince'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/evolution-data-server'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/ex'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/file-roller'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/firefox'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/firmware'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gcc'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/GConf'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gconv'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gcr'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gdbus-2.0'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gdkmm-2.4'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gdm'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/geany'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/geany-plugins'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/geoclue'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/getconf'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gettext'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/ghostscript'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gio'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/giomm-2.4'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/girepository-1.0'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/glib-2.0'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/glibmm-2.4'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/glib-networking'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gnome-applets'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gnome-keyring'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gnome-online-accounts'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gnome-panel'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gnome-screensaver'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gnome-session'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gnome-settings-daemon'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gnome-settings-daemon-3.0'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gnupg'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gobject-introspection'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/groff'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/grub'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gstreamer-0.10'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gtk-2.0'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gtk-3.0'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gtkmm-2.4'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/gvfs'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/icon-naming-utils'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/icu'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/imlib2'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/initcpio'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/jack'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/kde4'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/krb5'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/ladspa'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/ldscripts'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/LessTif'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/libcanberra-0.28'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/libfakeroot'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/libffi-3.0.11'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/libgphoto2'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/libgphoto2_port'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/libgpod'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/libnl'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/libpeas-1.0'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/libproxy'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/libreoffice'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/libv4l'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/libxslt-plugins'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/locale'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/man-db'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/modules-load.d'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/mono'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/mozilla'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/mpg123'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/mutter'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/nautilus'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/network'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/notification-daemon-1.0'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/openbox'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/opera'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/orbit-2.0'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/p7zip'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/pango'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/pangomm-1.4'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/peas-demo'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/perl5'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/pkcs11'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/pkgconfig'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/pm-utils'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/polkit-1'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/polkit-gnome'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/pppd'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/pulse'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/pulse-2.0'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/pulseaudio'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/pygtk'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/python2.7'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/python3.2'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/qt'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/rhythmbox'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/rsync'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/sane'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/sasl2'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/security'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/sigc++-2.0'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/sox'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/sysctl.d'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/syslog-ng'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/systemd'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/tar'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/tc'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/tcl8'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/tcl8.5'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/Thunar'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/thunarx-2'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/thunderbird'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/tk8.5'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/tmpfiles.d'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/tracker-0.14'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/tumbler-1'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/udev'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/udisks'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/udisks2'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/upower'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/vala-0.16'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/vdpau'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/vlc'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/vte'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/wicd'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/X11'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/xfce4'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/xmms'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/xorg'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/zsh'

I cannot for the life of me delete all those folders. That would brick me again. Sorry, but something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB