You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-29 19:35:27

duffydack

Xfce + Compiz = random missing menus

Hi.  I'm a relatively new to arch but not linux as I have been using Ubuntu and Fedora more recently and Red Hat, Suse, Slack in previous years.  I have installed arch fine and got it running pretty much how I want it until it comes to compiz which is 0.8 in the main repo and 0.9 in the AUR, both of which cause problems which aren't seen in Ubuntu.  0.8 installs fine and I setup the plugins as I have them in xubuntu and all works great except when I try to bring up the main menu or right click context menus or even some drop down menus from the panel and even in apps like Chrome for instance.  They just don't appear fully until I move my mouse away and back again or run the cursor over them.  I have seen what I believe to be the bug I am talking about on launchpad which has been fixed apparently but not for me, not in Arch.  I tried 0.9 from AUR and although the issue is fixed, I have another problem of every application starting top left right under my panel, even when I set them to start at X and Y position with the compiz 'places' plugin.  I'd prefer to stick to 0.8 however for stability.  Oh 1 thing worth mentioning is it only happens when I use the catalyst driver for my radeon hd4650.  The free driver is ok but power and fan issues I don't want to put up with.  Any ideas?

THanks

Last edited by duffydack (2012-06-30 12:04:15)

#2 2012-06-30 14:54:38

pogeymanz

Re: Xfce + Compiz = random missing menus

I have this same issue with my intel graphics.

Happens in Compiz .8 and .9 and Kwin. Haven't found any fix...starring

#3 2012-07-15 10:41:11

cloudberry

Same problem. nvidia graphics. Have not had any luck identifying when exactly it happens either. Most of the time the menus are fine, but quite often parts  of a menu are not visible. Menu items which have a different mouse over look become visible after hovering the mouse over them but items such as dividers/separators often remain invisible.

#4 2012-09-11 12:30:18

mashen

Same problem here. Any help would be greatly appretiated sad

#5 2012-10-24 21:47:01

dromar56

Apparently some people solved it by activating the "Workarounds" plugin in ccsm, didn't work for me.
A quick solution is to activate the "Animations" plugin, it gives a shade animation when you open a menu, and you don't have invisible menus anymore. (you only need to keep the 'Open Animation -> Fade for Menus' effect, you can disable the others).

Board footer