You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-20 22:01:15

BashfulBruce

Can not boot off Kernel 2.6

Can I just confirm that if I want to use the new 2.6 kernel with a SCSI harddrive I will have to either :-
A) Wait for a SCSI Kernel package to be produced like the 2.4 package (how long?)
B) Compile my own 2.6 Kernel with the QLA1280 driver support myself.

I installed the new 2.6 package and I get a panic because it can not see the disks. If I need to compile the kernel is there Arch 2.6 config file I could use as a starting point and just add the scsi driver support in ?

Thanks

Bruce

#2 2003-12-21 01:29:50

red_over_blue

Re: Can not boot off Kernel 2.6

You are correct that there is no scsi 2.6 kernel available yet.

You best option would be to use ABS to tweak the config, if you are comfortable doing that.

Just edit the PKGBUILD, you'll likely have to remove the md5sum for the config.  There are a couple ways to change the config file:

1.  Edit the config file by hand.

2.  Start makepkg, but simply kill the process once things start building.  This will get all the source and config files where they need to be.  Then, cd to the src/kernel-2.6.0 directory from the directory with the PKGBUILD in it.  Do a "make menuconfig" and change anything you want to.  Copy the new .config file to replace the config file (note no period in the non-hidden one provided by ABS), then go back and run makepkg again.  I usually delete the entire src/ directory before I start a build again, but this is perhaps not necessary.  With any luck, you will finish with a nice custom kernel package that you can install with pacman -A

If you aren't very familiar with ABS, and this sounds a little confusing, I can usually be found on #archlinux on irc.freenode.net, and can help you there.

Don't forget to post your PKGBUILD in your thread when you announce a new package in incoming.
see HERE for details

#3 2003-12-22 17:30:16

BashfulBruce

Re: Can not boot off Kernel 2.6

Cheers for that. I haven't used ABS but I will investigate over Chistmas and will probably come back with more questions.

Thanks

Bruce

Board footer