You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-18 18:02:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

[SOLVED] systemd: autologin to tty1 problems

I just switched to systemd and have hit one hitch I can't figure out.

I followed the wiki instructions here but did not get nearly the results I expected.

I do have x start from my .bashrc.  With sysVinit and inittab I would be automatically logged into tty1 only, tty2-tty6 would have the login program running and would have the username prompt.  The autologon to tty1 would trigger x to start which would then run on tty7.

With systemd, tty1 logs on automatically, then x starts on tty2, and tty3-tty6 are also automatically logged into.

How can I get the behavior I had with inittab from systemd?

edit: I undid everything, started again, walked through the same steps and part of the problem is solved: only tty1 is automatically logged in, but X is still starting on tty2 instead of 7.

edit: I (temporarily) took xinit out of my .bashrc and everything works as expected.  It seems the problem is systemd is not starting the other ttys until after a delay.  In fact one time I was auto logged into tty1 (without xinit in bashrc), I checked that other tty2 and 3 were waiting for a login, I went back to tty1, ran `xinit` and apparently X started on tty5.

Why is systemd taking so long to start up each tty?  I have to wait SEVERAL seconds before running xinit in order to have 6 ttys initialized so x starts on tty7.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-07-18 19:45:48)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#2 2012-07-18 19:36:59

nierro

Re: [SOLVED] systemd: autologin to tty1 problems

As far as i know (i've been using systemd for a while now) , only one getty is launched by default, then the others are launched on-demand, when user tries to access them.

archwiki wrote:

note: As of systemd 30, only 1 getty will be launched by default. If you switch to another tty, a getty will be launched there (socket-activation style). You can still force additional agetty processes to start using the above methods.

Don't know if this is what you were looking for...

Last edited by nierro (2012-07-18 19:37:17)

#3 2012-07-18 19:45:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Oops, I guess I should have read all the way to the bottom of the wiki page.

That was exactly what I needed to know.  I added more getty service files and x is running on tty7 as expected.

Thats two in row you solved for me Nierro.  If I'm ever in Italy I'll have to buy you a beer.

Just as a curiosity though - do most systemd users end up running X on tty2?  Or is there a way to get X to still run on tty7 other than creating getty service files for tty2-6?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2012-07-18 20:03:20

nierro

I have it running on tty2...but i can't answer your question because i've never looked for a solution (i did never noticed it big_smile ).
Hope someone could answer!
Yes, i'll wait for your beer then! wink

Board footer