You are not logged in.

#51 2012-07-20 10:04:33

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: [SOLVED] Is Arch Linux ISO's no longer updated ?

blackout23 wrote:

I agree. What I'd like to see is the official install isos becoming netinstall with some of the extra features that ArchBoot offers like easy SSD support through gdisk and UEFI.
Never managed to get things running with the offical iso on my ssd even with the wiki. With Archboot i simply chose GPT over MBR and it did everything for me even installed
syslinux without having to dd it into the first sector of my ssd.

parted is on archiso and works just fine. It will even align for you automagically.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#52 2012-07-20 10:54:45

blackout23

Mr.Elendig wrote:
blackout23 wrote:

I agree. What I'd like to see is the official install isos becoming netinstall with some of the extra features that ArchBoot offers like easy SSD support through gdisk and UEFI.
Never managed to get things running with the offical iso on my ssd even with the wiki. With Archboot i simply chose GPT over MBR and it did everything for me even installed
syslinux without having to dd it into the first sector of my ssd.

parted is on archiso and works just fine. It will even align for you automagically.

One should not have to abort the official installation at one point just to get the bootloader going, only because you're using GPT.
If you're making a step by step installer at least make it consistent.

Archboot is superior and therefore should be official in my opinion.

Last edited by blackout23 (2012-07-20 10:56:55)

#53 2012-07-20 11:10:55

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

The new yet to be released images doesn't have aif, so there would be nothing to abort. And with the older ones you can simply run parted before you start aif anyway. Same as if you were doing a fancy lvm2 setup or similar.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#54 2012-07-20 12:56:13

Awebb

I think I prefer the new installer. The aif had some problems, like if you screwed up at some point, you often had to repeat the whole process, or things like the automatic partitioner does not allow a setup without swap. Now, with the new installer, most of the annoying hackery is done by the arch-install-scripts (like all the extra mounts for the chroot), there is even a script to create the fstab. The only ugly thing is the symlink for the time zone, but I guess this way, I will never forget how THAT works again. I also prefer pacstrap over the package list in the aif. It is easier to import a list of packages this way, selecting and clicking single packages from a huge list takes some time.

#55 2012-07-22 11:02:50

work

Mr.Elendig wrote:

The system you get after a install from core is useless untill you get network up, or can copy in packages trough some other means anyway.....

If you really want you can download the sync db + the packages you want, copy the packages to the cache, and syncdb to the pacman db, and install everything that way.

Please, can you tell me how to do it?
Thank you

#56 2012-07-22 15:31:54

fsckd
Forum Fellow

work wrote:
Mr.Elendig wrote:

The system you get after a install from core is useless untill you get network up, or can copy in packages trough some other means anyway.....

If you really want you can download the sync db + the packages you want, copy the packages to the cache, and syncdb to the pacman db, and install everything that way.

Thank you

He told you. If you're still having trouble understanding, please open a support thread. This thread is for discussion of Arch Linux ISOs. Thanks.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#57 2012-07-22 15:44:06

work

fsckd wrote:
work wrote:
Mr.Elendig wrote:

Thank you

He told you. If you're still having trouble understanding, please open a support thread. This thread is for discussion of Arch Linux ISOs. Thanks.

I apologize, I will follow your advice.
I replied here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=145602

Last edited by work (2012-07-22 16:04:57)

Board footer