You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-17 09:41:53

CollieJim

Another failed install

I have just downloaded the current CD ISO image, and am having a miserable time with it.

First try:  CD only followed by trying to update.  /lib problem stopped me.  Why is the ISO still being supplied with that problem?
Second try:  Enabled network sources.  Selected package groups.  Spent several hours going through very long list of packages, only to press the wrong key and exit the selection process.  NO option to resume.
Third try:  Repeat second try with more care.  Install failed with some error before downloads started with no option to change something and try again.
Fourth try:  I got as far as downloading files.  The download hung on Oxygen-icons.  Not just the download - the computer.  A timeout message was displayed every 2 minutes.  No response to keyboard.  No option but to cycle power.

I have a satellite broadband connection which appears to drop packets at times.  The download process needs to be more tolerant.
It is unlikely there will be a fifth try.

Disappointed,
Jim

#2 2012-07-17 09:44:21

Barrucadu
Website

Re: Another failed install

CollieJim wrote:

First try:  CD only followed by trying to update.  /lib problem stopped me.  Why is the ISO still being supplied with that problem?

Did you try using the procedure described in the news post to overcome that?

#3 2012-07-17 10:24:39

CollieJim

The fix I saw said to use "--ignore glibc".
Then the process complained that 3 files in /sbin and /usr/sbin existed.
I renamed them out of the way and something else got in the way.  I can't remember what it was now.

#4 2012-07-17 10:34:02

JackH79
Website

CollieJim wrote:

Search the forum. Plenty of reasons of why.

CollieJim wrote:

Second try:  Enabled network sources.  Selected package groups.  Spent several hours going through very long list of packages, only to press the wrong key and exit the selection process.  NO option to resume.

Who are you blaming here?

CollieJim wrote:

Third try:  Repeat second try with more care.  Install failed with some error before downloads started with no option to change something and try again.

Who/what are you blaming here?

CollieJim wrote:

Fourth try:  I got as far as downloading files.  The download hung on Oxygen-icons.  Not just the download - the computer.  A timeout message was displayed every 2 minutes.  No response to keyboard.  No option but to cycle power.

It's usually best to just do a base install, get it running and then build up from there.

CollieJim wrote:

I have a satellite broadband connection which appears to drop packets at times.  The download process needs to be more tolerant.

Try another mirror.

CollieJim wrote:

It is unlikely there will be a fifth try.

Then why post this?

CollieJim wrote:

Disappointed,
Jim

Again: in what / who?

CollieJim wrote:

The fix I saw said to use "--ignore glibc".
Then the process complained that 3 files in /sbin and /usr/sbin existed.
I renamed them out of the way and something else got in the way.  I can't remember what it was now.

That's really helpful for people trying to help. The news item explains what to do. There's even another link to here which gives even more help.
Have you tried all that?

#5 2012-07-17 11:30:36

Alber

About glibc. First try without --ignore. If you have problems, use what said the post.
Please, read too ancient news when update. Surely there are another issues.

Edit: Yes, it's a mess, if update from new installation, errors glibc + filesystem at same time.

Last edited by Alber (2012-07-17 18:58:16)

Because not all of us are native English speakers, try no to use slang or abbreviations, thank you.

#6 2012-07-18 05:17:01

CollieJim

Sorry my frustration is showing...
Blame is not the issue.  The lack of an option to continue a long process is.
As for trying another mirror, I seriously doubt that would help since the problem I have with interrupted transfers is wide-spread.  I get it several times an hour on many sites.  Retrying the same source would have the same chance of success as any other.  It's my understanding that when a node becomes congested it drops packets rather than queuing them.  I consider it a serious bug when the system locks up waiting for a message that never arrives.
As for why I posted, I wanted people to know my experience.
I usually cool down and try again.  Hopefully with a different approach.

Still beating my head against the wall.

<next morning...>
I tried
grep '^lib/' /var/lib/pacman/local/*/files
and got the following list:

acl attr bzip2 cryptsetup dbus-core device-mapper e2fsprogs filesystem glibc
keyutils libcap libcrypt libgpg-error linux linux-firmware lvm2 mdadm mkinitcpio
ncurses pam pcmciautils pcre popt procps readline shadow sysfsutils syslog-ng
udev util-linux  xfsprogs

Conflicts prevented upgrading all of them.

Fresh try.
Followed DeveloperWiki: usrlib.
It says that /lib is now a link to /usr/lib.  Not on what I've installed.  /lib is not a symlink, and it has a different inode number from /usr/lib.

I tried 'pacman -U http://pkbbuild.com/~allan...
and got messages for 3 conflicting files.  I renamed them and tried again and something finally worked.
pacman -Syu then worked.

Now I'm waiting for over 20 minutes for the pacman keychain master key to be generated.  I know my system is slow (1.66Ghz Atom processor), but I think something is not quite right.

#7 2012-07-18 05:32:52

carukia

Use the netinstall rather than the core image. You won't have any problems with glibc.

#8 2012-07-18 05:46:20

CollieJim

Next time.  I appear to have solved my glibc problem, but gpg is not cooperating.

'ps aux' shows
... S+   /bin/bash /usr/bin/pacman-key --init
... SL+  gpg --homedir /etc/pacman.d/gnupg --no-permission-warning --gen
where
.   S - interruptable sleep (waiting for an event to complete) - Any clues as to what that might be?
.   L - pages locked in memory
.   + - foreground process process group

So gpg is waiting for something that is not happening.  It's using no cpu time.

#9 2012-07-18 06:28:27

Barrucadu
Website

You probably don't have enough entropy. Do something with the computer. Bash the keyboard, browse the Internet, play music, etc.

#10 2012-07-18 07:27:39

JackH79
Website

CollieJim wrote:

Sorry my frustration is showing...

Quite understandable. Haven't we all been there wink

CollieJim wrote:

As for trying another mirror, I seriously doubt that would help since the problem I have with interrupted transfers is wide-spread.

Unless the problem is with your connection and/or your router, trying different mirrors will definitely help. Try maybe rankmirrors as outlined in this section.

Barrucadu wrote:

You probably don't have enough entropy. Do something with the computer. Bash the keyboard, browse the Internet, play music, etc.

Or simply use one of the entropy generators as suggested here.

#11 2012-07-18 10:01:40

kornerr
Website

I can verify that 2011.08.19 Arch ISO can't cope with the latest breaking updates of Arch, those include filesystem, glibc and libarchive or something.
I tried to update it, because I first updated Arch with --force flag when I faced /lib conflict. So I had to install new Arch. And this ISO simply can't be updated.
I would like to see an ISO that has fixed /lib problem.

#12 2012-07-18 10:16:31

kornerr
Website

CollieJim, I've got Arch to install and get updated (so far in VM) after installing Arch snapshot ISO, although it requires some manual setup handling, no user friendly dialogs to select mounts points, etc..

#13 2012-07-18 10:51:02

chamber

Just use the netinstall.

meh

#14 2012-07-18 13:30:59

CollieJim

Thanks for the help.
I think I've got things under control now (surely an illusion!).
I don't know what stirred gpg, but I started a second VT and got its PID.  When I tried to 'kill -CONT', the process was no longer there and gpg finished normally.

My connection is particularly bad this evening and every package downloaded was preceded by a 'connection timeout' message, immediately followed by the download.  The 10-second timeout is much too short.  I've switched to wget.  Much more reliable on my satellite connection.

I did try a netinstall, but the unreliable connection and short timeouts stopped it.

I used to have a satellite connection that gave me an average of 60KB/s on an average day, but the modem failed and it was going to cost $600 for a replacement.  The Australian government is rolling out its National Broadband Network (NBN) and I was offered a plan on it that is 10 times faster with free hardware and installation.  The NBN is not fully implemented yet and the service I'm using is an interim measure.  The old was slow but reliable and the new is fast but very flaky at times.

Edit:  Not out of the woods yet...
I'm trying to install kde.  boost-libs, avogadro, kdeedu-kig, kdeedu-rocs, akonadi, and lirc-utils could not be found on the mirror I was using.
'pacman -Syu' asked if I wanted to upgrade the whole system.  I said yes.
/lib reared is ugly head again.  Tomorrow I will try a netinstall again perhaps...

Last edited by CollieJim (2012-07-18 14:43:54)

#15 2012-07-19 00:18:09

cfr

You don't need to keep reinstalling every time you hit a problem. That is going to just increase your frustration - especially given a dodgy connection.

Changing mirror may well help - I see those time outs from some mirrors and there is nothing wrong with my connection. (Not at home - work is a different issue.)

Are you following the Beginner's Guide? You should be updating the system *before* trying to install additional stuff.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#16 2012-07-19 09:43:16

w909

Hello,

I trie to install Arch on my new computer and have the same difficulties.

The iso netinstall is wrong, cause bloc my computer on the boot, i can't begin the install

So i trie the core, and the update is difficult. I need to follow this step :
- install
- mv /var/run /var/run1 && pacman -Sf filesystem
- mv /etc/profile.d/locale.sh /etc/profile.d/locale.shold && pacman -Syu --ignore glibc (answer no for update pacman first)
- pacman -U http://pkbbuild.com/~allan/glibc-2.16.0 … pkg.tar.xz
- pacman -Syu (answer yes for update pacman first)
- pacman -Syu --ignore glibc
- pacman -Syu

After that, the install is update. I do the necessary for .pacnew and mkinitcpio.conf for the /usr before reboot.

But, in my case, the computer bloc as weel as the netinstall and i don't find the module which cause that.
Arch bloc on the boot (waiting for UDev uevents to be processed) and i can't do anything else that turn off
the computer. So i have no trace in log (or i don't know where to find, because i am beginner in arch)
i have blacklist ite-cir, but same thing

#17 2012-07-19 14:12:50

CollieJim

I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I just managed to get my system working today with a network install.  I don't know if it's the "netinstall".
I used the ISO to boot and get things started.
Then I disabled core-local and selected core-remote.  It took several hours but I got everything this time, and no problems with glibc and /lib.

HTH
Jim

#18 2012-07-20 05:55:04

kornerr
Website

Core remote... Smart. Haven't thought about it. Thanks for the info. Next time Arch breaks seriously I know an easier way to update smile

Last edited by kornerr (2012-07-20 05:55:22)

#19 2012-07-20 08:15:46

DSpider

w909 wrote:

After that, the install is update. I do the necessary for .pacnew and mkinitcpio.conf for the /usr before reboot.

You need to re-generate your initramfs after you edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. Here's how you can do that: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … nger_boot.

(you can skip reinstalling udev and mkinitcpio. Unless you want to, of course.)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#20 2012-07-20 17:07:21

MoonSwan

In the off chance you need it, I found that ArchBoot is far more tolerating of fails and allows you to start over more often than not.  I have fumble-fingered more than a few installs and ArchBoot has let me finish the install with a minimum of hassle.  You can also do an ftp/net-install from it but I usually just use an up-to-date version and rely on the packages from the install-base.

Board footer