You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-16 22:50:10

yochaigal

[SOLVED] ASUS A53T Suspend/Resume issues

hello all -

Firstly, let me say that I have spent the last 28 hours or so searching Google, the Arch Linux Forums,, Ubuntu Forums, Linux Mint, Fedora, Debian.... pretty much every major distro's forum for the answer to my question.  I've also read the wiki page on pm-utils, suspend, the ASUS A53T and hibernation like 50 times. This is probably my 30th Arch Install, and certainly my most difficult! 

Now on to it:

The issue I'm having is that when I suspend my laptop, and then later resume it the screen stays completely dark but the machine does properly resume; I know this because I can type "sudo reboot" and the machine will reboot accordingly (this is running pm-suspend from terminal). 

Please note, I've previously installed Ubuntu 12.04 64bit on this machine, and it exhibited an identical issue, however I was able to fix it with the custom-ehci script linked below.  The script (or any variation thereof) does NOT work in Arch.

My logs show NOTHING out of the ordinary (kernel.log & pm-suspend.log).

I've even arbitarily disabled different modules (wifi, usb, etc) before sleep to see if it would make a difference.

Running Arch Linux 64bit on an ASUS A53TA-EH61 .
ATI Radeon 6720G2 (I was using FOSS/radeon drivers but switched to fglrx to see if it made a difference).
OS configs: 

xorg.conf (created by aticonfig --initial)

GRUB

rc.conf

mkinitcpio.conf

Hardware info:

lspci

lshw

What I've found/tried:

custom ehci script

disabling modules before suspend

removing "autodetect" hook from initramfs

played around with pm-quirks

a blog about this issue

ArchWiki on Power Management for another ASUS

another custom-ehci script

Additional info

ATI Bug Report

EDIT: FIXED!  See comment #22.

Last edited by yochaigal (2012-07-21 13:56:50)

#2 2012-07-17 20:47:32

jwele

Re: [SOLVED] ASUS A53T Suspend/Resume issues

I have an asus U53E I believe there is a fix that talks about ACPI (the power regulation whatnot) settings. I have fixed it multiple times, you can google for it or I'll give you specifics on how I do it tonight. ~10 PM-PST

edit: looks like you tried it but ill try to figure it out

Last edited by jwele (2012-07-17 20:50:05)

#3 2012-07-18 12:37:17

yochaigal

Did you have any luck finding the ACPI solution you used in the past?

#4 2012-07-18 17:31:08

jwele

This was the definitve site for the problem I used

HERE

sorry I had a problem with my wifi driver and was unable to debug the error last night but that is the link I use everytime I install a distro.

#5 2012-07-18 17:38:24

yochaigal

I've tried that one sad - it's actually one of the links in my original post

I'll give it another shot, though.

#6 2012-07-18 17:42:54

jwele

Edit: previous link unrelated to problems, still searching.

Last edited by jwele (2012-07-18 17:43:51)

#7 2012-07-18 17:44:53

yochaigal

That's specifically for hibernation - not suspend. It's an article describing how to properly configure grub/swap to resume.
What's weird is, the script you mentioned (there are many such versions of it on the web, including ones I've edited for my hardware specifically) WORKS in Ubuntu, but not in Arch (multiple installs). 

What is different?

#8 2012-07-18 17:48:22

yochaigal

I've also tried adding hpet=disable to the kernel line in grub, no dice.

as seen here.

#9 2012-07-18 17:52:22

yochaigal

I've also tried what they suggest here (post #6) but replaced the XXXXX in their script with the (I think) appropriate hardware for my machine.

#10 2012-07-18 22:32:12

yochaigal

jwele wrote:

I have an asus U53E I believe there is a fix that talks about ACPI (the power regulation whatnot) settings. I have fixed it multiple times, you can google for it or I'll give you specifics on how I do it tonight. ~10 PM-PST

edit: looks like you tried it but ill try to figure it out

I should mention, in the script you (and I) found that disables ehci/xhci, it shows:
DRIVERS="ehci xhci" # ehci_hcd, xhci_hcd

Well, my modules are:

ehci_hcd
ohci_hcd             
xhci_hcd               

I've tried replacing the drivers in that line with these; no dice.

#11 2012-07-19 01:25:12

jwele

It sounds like a video driver or something similar is not activating on boot. That script used to help my machine unbind devices so I could suspend ur problem is everything comes back up but not the video. I would check other logs it's another problem.

#12 2012-07-19 01:26:47

jwele

#13 2012-07-19 01:33:28

yochaigal

I saw this earlier today, but was unable to get anything they've done there to work.  (Setting vga=0 for example).

I tried installing the non-FOSS driver (fglrx) to see if that made any difference, but I can't get X to start - see https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1132441.

#14 2012-07-20 18:51:36

jwele

Wow, this is THE arch solution to your resume issue. You might want to go back to your working video driver and try THIS fix. GL

#15 2012-07-20 18:57:53

yochaigal

Yeah, I tried that already (along with this).  With radeon rather than FGLRX, in fact!
I'll try again, who knows.  I still don't have X working.

It's interesting... I don't care for Ubuntu, but knowing that both of these issues I'm having go away in that distro would imply that either I am not understanding something Arch related (a definite possibility) or that something is wrong with Arch's handling of my hardware.

Last edited by yochaigal (2012-07-20 19:15:08)

#16 2012-07-20 19:08:06

jwele

Yea I wish there were some arch gurus around reading this post. Arch forum is crazy quiet. I feel you, I love bleeding edge but sometimes the base stuff should work out the box because this base stuff is a deal breaker on using arch or switching to a linux box that works.  Kinda hard to impress people with startx errors youknowwhattimean?  I had some uevents errors when I installed arch on my laptop and just decided to keep beefy miracle on the laptop and arch on the desktop. It works superbly on my generic  desktop hardware.  When and if we fix this error I hope we can submit it to the bug team or get this fixed upstream (hope I threw that lingo around correctly, I'm an arch noob). 

Will post if I can find anymore info.

#17 2012-07-20 19:13:36

yochaigal

Well, it's understandable. The point of Arch is to give the USER true control of his/her OS - when I used Ubuntu/Fedora I didn't like that I didn't know what it was doing - diagnostics were more difficult, I felt less "in control," etc. 
To me, it doesn't matter how difficult something is. What matters is that eventually everything works, and that we know why.   I don't blame Arch for this problem - I blame myself for not knowing enough.  I'm fairly competent, a sysadmin actually -but there is a lot I don't know! 
But you're right, it'd be nice if more users saw this post - all bugs are shallow and all that.

I think this will come down to that custom ehci script from the ubuntu forums and figuring out what the real differences between the distros are in relation to the modules that hang up the system. Maybe I'll put another HDD in and install Ubuntu, just to see how it names things (like, rather than use a LiveCD). Maybe that'll help.

#18 2012-07-20 19:29:37

jwele

Arch and Fedora is completely configurable to your liking, it just takes and understanding of linux, Fedora is just a larger project and therefore fixes like this are already repaired and sent upstream.  Arch ships with non-free blobs in its kernel which bugs me sometimes, I like the completely configurable mentality and to do so with arch is to use a custom kernel, im no kernel hacker yet. I just bought the Unix and Linux administrators handbook ed 4 and went to work figuring out Fedora. It just always had a special place in my heart.  A better understanding of Linux will provide you with the ability to debug problems but sometimes when other community help just isn't there as is the case of arch so silly errors are harder to understand and productivity is left in the wayside trying to figure them out.  "Whats obvious to some may not be obvious to you" this is why a bigger community has propelled Debian\Fedora so far in my opinion.  Will always love both Arch and Fedora they both suite my overall philosophy on Linux.

Last edited by jwele (2012-07-20 19:30:46)

#19 2012-07-20 19:32:21

yochaigal

I actually really like Fedora... but the great part about Arch is (for me) threefold:

General system config.  Config files, init-style, package management.
Wiki ('nough said)
AUR

I also like that it forces you to understand what is actually going on in your system.

#20 2012-07-20 19:53:54

jwele

I guess I just don't need to be forced through a learning process I inherintley want to learn this stuff and thats why I purchased books on administering it.

Wiki = docs.fedoraproject.org
config = not hard to find them
Fedora has a minimal install where you can cut out all the bloat.

Never had a problem with the vast amount of binaries for fedora. In fact most software distributors make ready made binaries that seem to work loads better than aur repositories that seem to have issues much like the video driver problems you are having.  I had more trouble installing the canon source on my archbox then to install the ready made Fedora install made by the canon developers.  But It really draws down to preference.

Last edited by jwele (2012-07-20 19:54:19)

#21 2012-07-20 20:22:57

jwele

yochaigal wrote:

I think this will come down to that custom ehci script from the ubuntu forums and figuring out what the real differences between the distros are in relation to the modules that hang up the system. Maybe I'll put another HDD in and install Ubuntu, just to see how it names things (like, rather than use a LiveCD). Maybe that'll help.

Do the livecd thing, figure out the loaded video driver. I would install that driver in arch. Use the custom_20 whatever script just in case otherwise it sounds like the error listed in the arch wiki because the custom_20_ehci whatever script fixed my U56E not being able to enter sleep mode it seems your issue is with the vid driver not loading back up or something similar to the archwiki link.

edit: Try Knoppix 7.0 over Ubuntu live cd if you ask me. Knoppix is like the swiss army tool debian equivalent that specifically was made to fix broken linux/windows install's and there is a tremendous amount of documentation surrounding it.  Did you download the vbetool program for arch when you tried the script on the wiki?

Last edited by jwele (2012-07-20 20:29:40)

#22 2012-07-21 13:53:24

yochaigal

FIXED!

OK, so I got suspend to work without the use of ANY scripts or additional info by REMOVING the BusID parameter from xorg.conf - X started, but then had an ugly AMD watermark.  I removed this by running the script listed here.

Suspend & hibernate now work just fine.  I also had to get rid of the loud "pop" when resuming from suspend; I did this by commenting out  "aplay -d 1 /dev/zero" in /etc/pm/sleep.d/90alsa.

Last edited by yochaigal (2012-07-21 13:57:08)

Board footer