You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-21 20:34:10

Cyb3rGeek

Fresh Install gdm problem : Failed to acquire org.gnome.DisplayManager

Hello i just installed archlinux and i did a full system update via 'pacman -Syu'. now i would like to install gnome 3
I installed x server as descriped on the wiki then i installed Bumblebee using the Guide on the wiki, then i tryed 'startx' and i get a screen where there is some windows and a mouse (at this point it seem that the drivers works fine  and the x-server is ok). then i installed Gnome and gnome-extra and gdm (also i added dbus to deamons array and changed the run level to 5 as descriped on the wiki...).
but gdm don't work ! i don't get the login screen ( i get only a mouse and a black background). in another console i tried to run gdm manually but running (as root) : 'rc.d start gdm' and i get this error :
=========================================================
** (gdm-binary:743): WARNING **: Failed to acquire org.gnome.DisplayManager

** (gdm-binary:743): WARNING **: Could not acquire name; bailing out
=========================================================

please help

Last edited by Cyb3rGeek (2012-07-21 20:38:26)

#2 2012-07-22 10:45:40

Cyb3rGeek

Re: Fresh Install gdm problem : Failed to acquire org.gnome.DisplayManager

up

#3 2012-07-24 21:52:54

jzhu

Have same problem here: with new installation of archlinux of kernel 3.4.6-1.  Old archlinux broke when updating due to /lib to /usr/lib migration problem.  Basically, gdm starts at boot but it can't recognize my own password while I can login in tty with same password.  Any help?

Thanks

#4 2012-07-24 22:27:19

jzhu

problem solved for me: examined /etc/dbus-l/system.d/gdm.conf; it has policy only on root and gdm and I am running startx from an user account.  several ways to remedy: simple way is to add gdm to user group.

Board footer