You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-22 16:24:59

clpc
Website

no operating system [SOLVED]

Hi...

I am trying to do an install and everything appears to go fine but when I reboot I get the result "no operating system"

I am following the https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … ll_Scripts wiki.

I have been using Arch since 2006 and could be considered a reasonably experienced user excepting that since I had a stroke my memory has suffered and I have trouble remembering things. But I write everything down nowadays.

I have tried the install twice and got the same result both times.

I have a separate /boot partition sda1 and it is bootable.

I am using syslinux for the boot loader and there is one thing in the wiki I do not understand....

For syslinux edit the /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg to point to the right /boot partition.

There is nothing that I can find in the syslinux.cfg to point it to a particular partition.
The /usr/sbin/syslinux-install_update -iam command works fine a reports success.

It is a netbook I am installing and I am doing that from a SD card but there is nothing unusual about any of that, no difference to using a CD really.

It just seems to me like sda1 is not bootable but cfdisk says it is.
Any suggestions anyone..... please.

Clive

Last edited by clpc (2012-07-22 18:57:22)

Clive,
"Today's great idea is tomorrow's mess to clean up."

#2 2012-07-22 17:17:06

clpc
Website

Re: no operating system [SOLVED]

A sure thing something is really strange is when you start answering your own forum questions.

I do NOT have an answer to the problem except to say that having done an install again using the OLD install disk everything works fine and the HDD boots fine.

I suggest there is something awry or missing in the new https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … ll_Scripts wiki. I do understand the wiki is a work in progress.

So I am still looking for an answer because I only did the install to learn about the new method so I would still like to find a solution to the problem.

Thanks

Clive

Clive,

#3 2012-07-22 17:19:18

boast

I have no idea about syslinux, or how those install scripts work, but the cfg file had nothing like whats shown here? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … nux_Config

Asus M4A785TD-V ;; Phenom II X4 @ 3.9GHz ;; Ripjaws 12GB DDR3-1600 ;; 128GB Samsung 830 ;; MSI GTX460 v2 w/ blob ;; Arch Linux + KDE 4.x

#4 2012-07-22 17:27:16

clpc
Website

My syslinux.cfg contents is fine. The problem I am getting is long before it gets to even dealing with syslinux.

The HDD will not boot at all using the new install method but boots fine using the old install disk.

I have used syslinux before and have no problem with it.

Clive

Clive,

#5 2012-07-22 18:56:50

clpc
Website

I suppose this could be considered as solved.

By writing the new iso to a HDD and booting to that to do the install everything works fine.

Why it will not work when installed from the SD card I have no idea, in fact it doesn't make a lot of sense.

So if you get the same problem and find an answer I would still like to know why.

Other than that I will mark this as solved.

Clive

Clive,

Board footer