You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-10 09:21:20

Gazpacho

[SOLVED] Kde - NetworkManager applet does not show any interface

Hi!

Since last update (1 week ago, aprox) the KDE's NetworkManager applet says "There are no interfaces" and "NetworkManager is not running", but it is running (I've restarted and checked the service with systemctl) and I've internet connection.

I guess this is a permissions issue, but I do not know where to look, any advice?

thanks!

Last edited by Gazpacho (2012-07-23 17:49:34)

#2 2012-07-10 14:36:06

mann138

Re: [SOLVED] Kde - NetworkManager applet does not show any interface

Hello, I have not come with a solution but with a problem too, I'm currently facing this USB recognition problem and also I have NetworkManager problem... I may thing it's related to permission issues with polkit but this is a fresh install and my first time with KDE I have no idea where to start looking...

any ideas would be really appretiated...

cheers

#3 2012-07-12 11:24:35

Gazpacho

mann138 wrote:

also I have NetworkManager problem...

Do you have the same problem?

Since I update to systemd I've a lot of problems in one of my computers. The eternal brightness problem with the i915 intel graphics, the system suspends when I plug any USB device, after resume NetworkManager ask for the root password to stablish connection.... I fear I will leave Linux after 11 years to use a Mac, I'm tired of this small issues that make me lost a lot of time.

#4 2012-07-13 12:41:17

mann138

I have the exact same issue with networkmanager kde applet but only on this computer, not in other one neither in my laptop... I don't know if it's kde but I think I'll leave kde for xfce now...

#5 2012-07-20 00:53:04

MartinZ

It's a known bug, as described here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=421577

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to fix this.

@Gazpacho: if you don't want to find such a problem, maybe you just shouldn't use a bleeding edge distro as Arch. You may give a try to LinuxMint, Fedora or Debian. It would be a big loss to Linux community if a long time user goes away to Mac.

All your base are belong to us

#6 2012-07-22 17:17:59

Gazpacho

MartinZ wrote:

It's a known bug, as described here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=421577

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to fix this.

Thanks MartinZ, I will read it carefully to know if I can contribute.

MartinZ wrote:

@Gazpacho: if you don't want to find such a problem, maybe you just shouldn't use a bleeding edge distro as Arch. You may give a try to LinuxMint, Fedora or Debian. It would be a big loss to Linux community if a long time user goes away to Mac.

RedHat, Mandrake, Suse (When it was Suse, not OpenSuse), Debian (for a long time, almost my ideal distro), Ubuntu , and Arch (probably I forget one or two more). I've never found a distro that fits to my simple requirements: Keep update some daily-use application (web browser, editors, IDEs, etc...) and a general update once a year (kernel, desktop environment, libraries...).

Yesterday I downloaded Fedora to try it, but an enormous laziness stopped me: install KDE and others, fix minor issues for Ati graphic card, test all hardware... and all this every 6-8 months to keep my kernel update.

Maybe I'm getting old, maybe I'm getting lazy, maybe both :-)

#7 2012-07-23 10:53:09

doomguard88

Does your user belong to the network and networkmanager groups?

That may be the cause of your problems.

#8 2012-07-23 17:49:07

Gazpacho

doomguard88 wrote:

Does your user belong to the network and networkmanager groups?

That may be the cause of your problems.

My user belongs to these groups:

lp wheel games video audio optical storage scanner power users ecryptfs

NM has worked perfectly until 1 month ago, more or less, indeed I've Internet connection. Yesterday, I changed /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.conf and allowed to NM in all entries. After reboot, works fine. Today, I've updated all packages. Now it's working.

I'm not sure if allowing everything it's the solution because in my other computer it's not allowed.

#9 2012-07-23 22:23:53

doomguard88

I found that adding the add to the network and networkmanager groups takes care of the permissions needed.

#10 2012-07-26 01:48:57

MartinZ

I'm already in both groups, so I don't think that's the problem.

Gazpacho wrote:

I changed /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.conf and allowed to NM in all entries. After reboot, works fine. Today, I've updated all packages. Now it's working.

Could you please elaborate a little more? I don't understand which changes you did to the file.

#11 2012-08-17 13:05:09

MartinZ

I've found a weird situation. If I start the networkmanager through systemd and login into KDE (through KDM), I see the described issue. No matter if I restart networkmanager nor the applet, it persists. However, if I do exactly this steps, the applet works fine:
- Logout from X
- Login in a shell
- Restart networkmanager in the shelll
- Login again in X

This must be done in this exact order for the "fix" to work.
I would really appreciate some help with this, I'm sure that someone with more knowledge may understand what the problem is.

#12 2012-08-20 22:38:13

MartinZ

I finally fixed this annoyance thanks to C Anthony. The problem was in old pam files. I just replaced /etc/pam.d/kde, kde-np, login and passwd with the corresponding .pacnew ones and now everything is running as it should.

Board footer