You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-10 22:05:45

CFlandre

(SOLVED)Xorg not functioning correctly.

So, I've set up Arch systems before, but I am at wit's end with this problem.

I've installed all the xorg packages as recommended by the installation guide, but unfortunately, every time I enter "startx" in the command line, I'm met with an black X environment, which makes my screen "blink" everytime I try to switch the tty. I'm able to see a mouse icon, but it changes from an "X" to an "arrow". When I AM able to get to another tty command line, I kill X, and look at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and this is what I find:

http://pastebin.ca/2169475

The "EQ Overflow" bit is a bit worrying.

Video Card Information:

Sapphire Radeon HD 6790 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support.

If one could help, it would be much appreciated.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am using the open source radeon driver, "xf86-video-ati". Thanks again!

UPDATE 07/11/12: OK, so after much deliberation and suffering, I switched over to the catalyst driver. It worked, initially. It defaulted to the twm clock and terminals, as expected. HOWEVER. When I try to open my openbox session with tint2 with startx, the screen goes dark, and comes up to a frozen picture of the Arch Linux boot screen. I am, as of yet, unable to comprehend as to why Xorg is doing this. I'm going to look into my Xorg log file to see what went wrong. If any of you know anything, please tell me! Thanks.

Last edited by CFlandre (2012-07-24 01:35:49)

#2 2012-07-14 22:41:08

lekaf974

Re: (SOLVED)Xorg not functioning correctly.

Hi,

if you read and test this step by step it should be OK

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … _Interface

Linux way of life

#3 2012-07-24 01:35:05

CFlandre

Re: (SOLVED)Xorg not functioning correctly.

Thank you for that. I was able to resolve everything by installing the catalyst driver. Thanks for your help.

Board footer