You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-28 06:24:51

Xi0N
Website

jnlp files with jre-openjdk

I cannot open any file with jre-openjdk.... which is the procedure to run such apps?
Its a web application that runs perfectly both one windows and on OSX.....

Can anyone help?

#2 2012-04-03 05:37:36

Xi0N
Website

Re: jnlp files with jre-openjdk

Up.... no idea?

#3 2012-04-03 05:49:35

Gcool

Your description is fairly vague. What happens exactly when you try to open a java application? Preferably try to open it via cli (for some debug output).

Burninate!

#4 2012-04-03 20:41:26

magicalChicken
Website

You need icedtea java web stuff, not just the jre.

#5 2012-04-04 06:45:14

Xi0N
Website

And once installed, how to run them? Because the behaviour is still the same as before when i attempt to open those files......

Thank you smile

#6 2012-04-04 12:51:49

magicalChicken
Website

Just opening the jnlp file with icedtea should be enough to get it running, but you will need to be online as jnlp just downloads a jar and executes it.

#7 2012-04-12 23:11:52

fcassia

Xi0N wrote:

I cannot open any file with jre-openjdk.... which is the procedure to run such apps?
Its a web application that runs perfectly both one windows and on OSX.....

Can anyone help?

Certainly. You make a very valid question.

In the Windows world, Java Web Starts app run "automagically". That is, if you install Java, that' s all there is to it. The Sun/Oracle JRE install takes care of installing the Java runtime, the Java plug-in (for all browsers on the system), and also the required bits to run Java Web Start, so when you click on a .jnlp link on a web page, tha app just starts, you se the Java splash screen, and seconds later, the app pops up. (if it is the first time you run an app from such vendor, a security dialog comes up asking if you know and want to trust that crypto signature from that dev going forward, just authorize it this time, or cancel -not run it-).

In the Linux world, Java (as the open source project) is called "OpenJDK". But if you install OpenJDK alone, you don' t get the "Plug-in" (the component needed to run applets inside a web browser AND Java Web Start apps). You need "IcedTea" which is the name given to the Java Plug-in that goes along with OpenJDK.
Why they choose to confuse the user with two different package names is beyond me (actually, I know why, it has to do with the project history, but that' s of no interest to end users). If you ask me, Icedtea should be renamed to "OpenJDK-plugin". But that is besides the point.

Having said that, -please have patience- here' s your solution.

You need to install "Icedtea".
OK, so you installed Icedtea, clicked on a Java Wesbtart app launcher link (.jnlp) and got an odd dialog from the browser asking what do you want to do with the .jnlp file?. Don' t despair. That happens because while you have:.

1. A functioning JRE installed (OpenJDK)
2. A functioning Java plug-in (IcedTea) installed,

The Icedtea installation has NOT configured Icedtea as a browser "helper app" to appropiately launch JNLP files.

So how do you fix it?!??!?! Simple: ;-)

1. Select "Open With" and instead of the default app (ie Fedora wants to open .jnlp links with gEdit), click on the app name to "choose another"
2. Then navigate to /bin and select "javaws'
3. Select "Do this automatically for files like this from now on"
4. Click "OK"

...the Java app will launch.

And from that point on, all Java Web Start apps will run when you click on the launcher link. (again, the first time you run any given app you' ll have to authorize it, but not from that point onwards if the crypto signature is maintained).

Does this need to be so irritatingly complex? of course not.

The problem is that the Icedtea developers think about things like developers, not end users. :-(

I hope I have been of help.  And to the rest of the people who replied... try to be more understanding of end users' needs, please. :-)
*I say this with a grin on my face, please nobody get offended*

FC

#8 2012-07-23 21:43:46

Jindur

$ sudo pacman -S icedtea-web-java-whatever-version

(for me it was "icedtea-web-java7-1.2-1-i686")
open a terminal where your jnlp file is and

$ javaws yourfile.jnlp

To find out the available icedtea-web-java version for the first command in the above instructions, do

$ pacman -Ss icedtea-web

In case you don't have icedtea-web-java but only icedtea-web, that should work too.

Last edited by Jindur (2012-07-23 21:57:38)

#9 2012-07-24 07:43:18

Xi0N
Website

Thanks for the tip!
I finally got it almost running, i get prompted about security and trust of the app, I accept all but get this error:

Caused by: net.sourceforge.jnlp.LaunchException: Fatal: Application Error: Cannot grant permissions to unsigned jars. Application requested security permissions, but jars are not signed.

I guess from here on, its the app's problem and can't be solved tweaking some configs n my side, am I right?

#10 2012-07-24 09:11:36

Jindur

I googled that for you and it seems there is sometimes a problem with icedtea+openjdk that can cause this, and with oracle (formerly sun) java it actually works.
Also see http://www.bt747.org/node/390
So if you're desperate you could try removing icedtea and openjdk, and then install oracle java (which comes with javaws so no need for icedtea stuff), and see if it works.

Board footer