You are not logged in.

#176 2012-07-24 15:41:15

dublindan

Re: goomwwm: Get out of my way, window manager!

aerosuidae wrote:

mod-shift-i/j/k/l now have their own config options, in case people want to bind them separately from the focus keys. See -snapleft and similar.

Perfect, thanks! (ps: you mean swapleft)

aerosuidae wrote:

As a consolation prize, one can now resize in finer increments with mod-shift-pageup/down. I have some other tiling ideas that I'll explore shortly, once 1.0 is stable, and h/v splitting features again there. So it's not gone, just on hiatus for a while until it can be done a little more elegantly smile

Is there a way to map mod-shift-pageup/down to something else? I did not see it in the manpage. Other than that, I find that very useful and I think really helps eliminate the need for other grid sizes. Not a replacement for mod-pageup/down, but a good addition smile

Also, is there any way of remapping mod-up/down/left/right? Again, I did not see anything about it in the manpage. I'm trying to remap everything to the main keyboard so that I never have to go too far from the home row smile Goomwwm, vim and uzbl are working together so that not only do I rarely need to reach for the mouse anymore, but also I rarely need to leave the main keyboard :-P

ma wrote:

Have you tried mapping to the base symbol instead of the final shifted one? So if í is produced by pressing AltGr+i, then mod4-mod5-i should work.

Ahhhh! I was certain that I'd tried that, but I guess not. That works for me. Thank you!!

Another bug report: when scroll through tags, the label for the previous tag does not disappear when the new tag label is displayed (they both have their own timers, I guess?) which causes them to look odd if the new label is smaller than the old one:
http://sidetrakd.com/files/tags.png

One more thing - sometimes (but not always?) doing goomwwm -cli -restart does not restart in place but drops me back to SLiM.

One final question/request/I'm not sure what exactly. I like the "Emulate Yakuake/Tilda" snippet, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it work for me. I would like to use it as is, but at the same time I'd like to be able to open terminals (urxvt in my case) without the rule being applied to them. That is, if I press mod-1 I want the rule applied, but if I open urxvt with mod-x or otherwise, I'd like it to skip the rule. I'm not sure exactly how this would work, but perhaps something you'd be willing to consider for post-1.0. Also, if there were some way to control this externally then I imagine all kinds of weird and wonderful things could be scripted. Again, not sure how it should or would work, but something to perhaps keep in mind for the future?

For the record, goomwwm has advanced to the point where I am now happy to use it as my main (and most likely only) window manager, especially if a way of remapping the keys as mentioned above is added. I'm also pretty excited to see what post-1.0 may have in store for us, but I think this is now a very worthy (ie useful) 1.0. Well done and thanks for the great work and for a cool window manager! smile

Last edited by dublindan (2012-07-24 16:20:12)

#177 2012-07-24 16:58:30

bgc1954

aerosuidae wrote:
@bgc1954, odd problem there. A quick test with gnucash here doesn't show the behaviour, so we'll have to look deeper. Some ideas:

• Does this occur on both your desktop and netbook?

• Does the problem occur if you use gnucash's File > Quit?

• Double check your num/scroll/caps lock keys; to my knowledge these should not affect goomwwm key binding now, but who knows...

• If you close gnucash and Ctrl-Alt-2 out to another tty without killing X, then check the process list: is gnucash process definitely gone?

• How about goomwwm process? Still running? Not using 100% cpu or anything?

1. I just checked on my netbook--I installed it as I don't normally use gnucash there--and all is well.

2. I should have mentioned that that is the way I normally close it.  I was just using modkey+close to see that keys were working before closing gnucash.

3. I checked and found that I still had numlockx commented out.  I uncommented it, logged out and when I started goomwm back up keys were unresponsive before launching gnucash.  I commented it again and keys behave until I start up and then close gnucash.  I uncommented numlockx again and goomwwm keys were fine until I started and closed gnucash again.  It appears that numlock is still wonky here.  I even went into the bios and turned off launching with numlock key--I've always had it that way as I dual boot Winbloze--and that doesn't help anything.

4. Switching to tty2 and running htop shows gnucash not running once closed.

5. Goomwwm seems fine my cpu is running at lowest Mhz and about 1%, ram 9%--according to conky.

Edit: I just found out something with all my fiddling.  If I have a terminal or something else open when I start and stop gnucash, my keys stay functional.  I just have the problem if I launch gnucash by itself first and close it.  Then the keyboard problem appears.  Hmmmmm?

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-07-24 17:07:43)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#178 2012-07-25 00:04:35

aerosuidae

dublindan wrote:

Also, is there any way of remapping mod-up/down/left/right?

See -left/right/up/down. I know; these are a little harder to find in the manual page as they're all spread out. Maybe they should be renamed like -moveleft, etc.

dublindan wrote:

Another bug report: when scroll through tags, the label for the previous tag does not disappear when the new tag label is displayed...

Hehe, yep. That needs a better solution. On the todo list for post-1.0.

dublindan wrote:

One more thing - sometimes (but not always?) doing goomwwm -cli -restart does not restart in place but drops me back to SLiM.

Odd. I havn't noticed this behaviour. How often is sometimes? We need to find out if it is just exiting or crashing. Anything in the X or system logs?

dublindan wrote:

I like the "Emulate Yakuake/Tilda" snippet, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it work for me. I would like to use it as is, but at the same time I'd like to be able to open terminals (urxvt in my case) without the rule being applied to them.

Yes, that is a limitation. For now, personally, I work around it by using a different terminal for the drop-down.

dublindan wrote:

For the record, goomwwm has advanced to the point where I am now happy to use it as my main (and most likely only) window manager, especially if a way of remapping the keys as mentioned above is added. I'm also pretty excited to see what post-1.0 may have in store for us, but I think this is now a very worthy (ie useful) 1.0. Well done and thanks for the great work and for a cool window manager! smile

Excellent, thanks smile I'm glad people find it useful.

#179 2012-07-25 00:14:04

aerosuidae

@dublindan, yes, looks like mod-shift-pageup/down options are missing from the man page; a point I shall rectify.  They are -increase and -decrease.

#180 2012-07-25 02:04:40

aerosuidae

bgc1954 wrote:

Edit: I just found out something with all my fiddling.  If I have a terminal or something else open when I start and stop gnucash, my keys stay functional.  I just have the problem if I launch gnucash by itself first and close it.  Then the keyboard problem appears.  Hmmmmm?

Aha! This allows me to reproduce the bug. A fix has been committed, but do double check that it works for you, please. Thanks for persisting with your debugging smile

In some conditions focus was not reverting to the root window and key presses were going... "somewhere else"... After exiting gnucash with mod-escape and seeing the freeze, I found I could get goomwwm keys to come alive again by clicking (and hence focusing) on a panel.

#181 2012-07-25 09:37:54

dublindan

aerosuidae wrote:

-left/right/up/down, increase, decrease

Brilliant, thanks - that completes my key remapping. smile

aerosuidae wrote:

Odd. I havn't noticed this behaviour. How often is sometimes? We need to find out if it is just exiting or crashing. Anything in the X or system logs?

It only happened yesterday, so if its a goomwwm bug then it was added between yesterday and last Thursday (I think Wednesday last week was the last time I updated goomwwm until yesterday and I never had this happen before). By sometimes I mean maybe once every ten or so times I ran -cli -restart it dropped me back to SLiM. I didn't see anything in the logs but it hasn't done this today. I'll try to remember to check the logs if it happens again.

aerosuidae wrote:

Yes, that is a limitation. For now, personally, I work around it by using a different terminal for the drop-down.

For now, this is what I'll do. It would be great to have a more flexible solution in the long run, but its not all that important.

#182 2012-07-25 13:25:07

aerosuidae

dublindan wrote:

It only happened yesterday, so if its a goomwwm bug then it was added between yesterday and last Thursday (I think Wednesday last week was the last time I updated goomwwm until yesterday and I never had this happen before).

If you're feeling bold start goomwwm in gdb on another tty, then if the crash occurs, collect a back trace.

Alternatively, catch a core file with "ulimit -c unlimited" and I'll be happy to analyse it.

#183 2012-07-25 15:49:11

bgc1954

Happy to report that your fix works for my gnucash problem. smile   Everything running fine on both my netbook and desktop.  I put goomwwm on my old T21 thinkpad yesterday and it is running great there also.  Thx for the compliment on persistant debugging--I've never been called a persistant debugger before--something close, but not quite that. wink

Edit:  I don't suppose all your fixes lately are in goomwwm-1.0--I see the PKGBUILD is still called 1.0-rc1?  Is it best to stick with goomwwm-git for now?

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-07-25 15:53:20)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#184 2012-07-26 04:28:02

aerosuidae

@bgc1954, I'll roll an RC2 shortly. I expect the few full-time goomwwm users out there will just stick with the git version, especially savvy Arch folk. The RC's are mainly about making me stick to some sort of semi-formal release process. It's all too tempting to race off and build new features before older ones have been debugged wink

#185 2012-07-26 09:47:30

dublindan

I've just been using the git version. All it takes to update is: cd goomwwm; git pull; make; ./goomwwm -cli -restart smile

#186 2012-07-26 11:42:46

sime

Just discovered the following:

goomwwm -cli -notice "Hello World!"

That's great! I am wondering would you consider adding an ability to control the time notices are displayed?

I would like to use this with the following irssi plugin:

http://stumpwm.svkt.org/cgi-bin/ratpois … ssi_notify

A bit more time notices are displayed would be nice for this kind of thing.

#187 2012-07-26 13:17:42

aerosuidae

@sime, yes, we could add a time delay for -notice.  I need to tweak the message boxes anyway, to deal with the overlapping that dublindan pointed out.  A -delay option can go in at the same time.

I suppose that would almost make a libnotify notification daemon... I've never looked at how those work. Wonder how hard it would be to hook up?

#188 2012-07-26 13:51:27

sime

Great! Re: libnotify, yeah I never used those either, I'm on OpenBSD and prefer base system plus as little 3rd party software as possible. So I would prefer to have something self-contained as in ratpoison and goomwwm.

Edit: maybe have -delay only function for -cli usage in order to have separate delays for user-invoked popups vs built-in. I only want them long for notifications and short (as they are now) otherwise.

Last edited by sime (2012-07-26 13:58:22)

#189 2012-07-26 14:03:01

aerosuidae

@sime, someone contributed a slightly hacked Makefile to get goomwwm to compile on FreeBSD. Did you have to tweak anything to get it to compile on OpenBSD? If yes, mind emailing me the details? smile

#190 2012-07-26 14:29:57

sime

I just had to slightly change second line in order to compile:

diff --git a/Makefile b/Makefile
index 694ed13..3683549 100644
--- a/Makefile
+++ b/Makefile
@@ -1,5 +1,5 @@
 CFLAGS?=-Wall -O2
-LDADD?=$(shell pkg-config --cflags --libs x11 xinerama x11 xft)
+LDADD!=pkg-config --cflags --libs x11 xinerama x11 xft

I think the one for FreeBSD would also work if the paths were right, e.g. /usr/X11R6/{lib,include} and some other slight modifications...

#191 2012-07-26 14:32:22

aerosuidae

@sime, thanks.

#192 2012-07-26 22:17:34

ThomasAdam

sime wrote:

I just had to slightly change second line in order to compile:

diff --git a/Makefile b/Makefile
index 694ed13..3683549 100644
--- a/Makefile
+++ b/Makefile
@@ -1,5 +1,5 @@
 CFLAGS?=-Wall -O2
-LDADD?=$(shell pkg-config --cflags --libs x11 xinerama x11 xft)
+LDADD!=pkg-config --cflags --libs x11 xinerama x11 xft

I think the one for FreeBSD would also work if the paths were right, e.g. /usr/X11R6/{lib,include} and some other slight modifications...

Works for me... Not using pkg-config on FreeBSD is actually a step-forward.

-- Thomas Adam

#193 2012-07-27 07:22:48

aerosuidae

@sime, I experimented with adding a time delay to -notice and came up with a temporary solution. Usage:

goomwwm -cli -notice hello -duration 5

Duration is in seconds.

This is just a tweak that doesn't fix the wider overlapping message box issue, which needs more fundamental changes that risk breaking other stuff (the window title bars use some of the same code and it's not that well-factored yet in my v1 tree).

Edit: To clarify, the code solution is temporary. The syntax is not.

Last edited by aerosuidae (2012-07-27 07:32:35)

#194 2012-07-27 09:40:03

sime

ThomasAdam wrote:

Works for me... Not using pkg-config on FreeBSD is actually a step-forward.

What I meant to say is: I think the one for FreeBSD would also work on OpenBSD if the...

Agree on pkg-config.

#195 2012-07-27 09:46:19

sime

@aerosuidae: Thanks, -duration works nicely.

There's now a position/sizing bug. I have the following rule for xterm:

rule xterm right,small,maximize_vert

Previously, it would open right at the edge of pixelclock. Now it opens approx 10 pixels or so to the left of pixelclock. If I then use Mod-l it aligns it with pixelclock correctly, which in turn leaves a gap between left window (sized large) and xterm (sized small).

#196 2012-07-27 10:20:06

aerosuidae

@sime, the gaps around xterm are the result of recent fixes to respect window PResizeInc hints. Some terminals, like xterm, ask to always have their window size rounded to the nearest multiple of columns and rows, based on their font size.

It's possible we could have a setting or rule to turn resize hints off again, but I'm not yet sure how I want to handle this. Some apps, like xterm, work fine without checking the hints. Others, like gnome-terminal, get very upset and start sending endless ConfigureRequest events until they get their way (I guess "hint" means "decree" in the crazy moon-language of gnome developers wink ).

My original plan was to see if I could get way with ignoring resize hints. Turns out we can't.

#197 2012-07-27 10:28:26

sime

Ah I see. Used urxvt{d,c} previously, but I switched to xterm because it's in the base smile

Yeah, a rule would be good to have for this so I can have it line up nicely as before.

#198 2012-07-27 10:36:41

sime

Or I'll just get used to it :)

#199 2012-07-27 11:21:09

aerosuidae

sime wrote:

Or I'll just get used to it smile

Excellent, I'll just wait a while then wink

I've actually had a burst of emails since committing those changes, all asking for a way to turn resize hints off. I don't feel like explaining this stuff forever so I expect an off-switch of one sort or another will appear soon.

Edit: And so it has. Latest git version has -resizehints.

Last edited by aerosuidae (2012-07-27 12:05:08)

#200 2012-07-27 17:10:48

sime

Top banana.

Board footer