You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-25 16:09:25

celebrimbor

[Solved]No /home or /boot partition after base install and reboot

I just downloaded new Arch and installed the base system. While creating the partition, I had assumed that like older methods, I just need to create / partition and others will be generated by itself. But when I rebooted, I found the contrary. Moreover, as there is no /etc partition after reboot, I can't find the pppoe-setup or located (as per the wiki) /etc/sbin (because I now receive command not found when I run

pppoe-setup

)...And hence I can't connect to internet as well. Is there any workaround ? Or should I reinstall it? smile

Last edited by celebrimbor (2012-07-26 15:35:24)

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#2 2012-07-25 17:10:58

DSpider

Re: [Solved]No /home or /boot partition after base install and reboot

I don't use a separate /home or /boot partition. While they have their uses (in case you reinstall or switch distros often), they are not necessarily a requirement. You can use something like GParted Live or Parted Magic to create the partitions beforehand.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-07-25 17:41:14

aias

I have not tried the new Arch install media but I can't imagine that it doesn't create the LSB defined directories like /etc/,/lib.   what do you see exactly when you boot up? did it shove all the files into one directory?  I am still not sure _how_ it booted.  does it just drop you into single user mode?

#4 2012-07-25 17:57:47

DSpider

I don't have enough patience right now to plough through the Beginner's Guide, but I think the Installation Guide is pretty clear on this:

We now must mount the root partition on /mnt. You should also create directories for and mount any other partitions (/mnt/boot, /mnt/home, ...) if you want them to be detected by genfstab.

Directories such as /etc, /lib, /sys, etc., are deployed after you use pacstrap to install the base and base-devel package groups.

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#5 2012-07-25 18:56:01

Terminator

Your post is not very clear. Do you mean that you don't have a /etc directory? In that case, you quiet clearly failed to install arch smile.

1) If you didn't make sure there are seperate /boot and /home partitions, everything will be on the same partition. As DSpider said, that's not really a problem.
2) I have neither pppoe-setup or /etc/sbin (I don't even think the last one exists). Normally, you can get online with dhcpcd and (for wireless) wpa_supplicant, which are both in the base group.

The beginners guide
Beginners guide: network setup
Offline installation (in case you need other packages to setup your network).

#6 2012-07-25 18:58:48

celebrimbor

@aias

ls

returned nothing after reboot...Anyways, @DSpider I created and mounted /boot and /home and now I have kernel panic on reboot!
Trying again for one more time!
@Terminator: I guess you were right and hence I'd formatted. And I don't have any other choice apart from pppoe. In old install method I could simply select the package for pppoe and it'd appear after reboot, which is not the case this time.

Last edited by celebrimbor (2012-07-25 19:02:27)

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#7 2012-07-26 00:33:53

cfr

What does

ls -a /

give you?

Did you have to login when you rebooted?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#8 2012-07-26 07:48:54

celebrimbor

@cfr

ls -a /

did show all the directories but nothing from

ls

And yes I could login as root when rebooted.

― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#9 2012-07-26 10:55:34

DSpider

Simply running...

$ ls

...means that it will list the files in the current directory that you are "cd" in. If you don't know where you're in, you can "pwd" (print working directory):

$ pwd

You were probably in the "/root" folder (the "home" dir of the root user).

This is basic UNIX stuff, man... But don't worry, I picked it up as I went along too. tongue Get some video tutorials or something. It may help you in the long run.

#10 2012-07-26 15:34:35

celebrimbor

@Dspider: Indeed! I was in /root and had to

cd..

twice to get into "a directory" that contains /home, /boot, /etc etc.. Thanks for empathizing! big_smile

― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

Board footer