You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-24 18:45:30

mich04

New installation media ; operating system not found.

I had my usb die, I bought a new one tried to use an older version on netinstall. It did not work. realized that grub legacy was no longer supported. Downloaded new installation CD. Went through process without any errors. booted up machine and it says no operating system can be found. I use super grub cd to detect any grub.cfg files it finds it, but will not boot into Arch. I have tried the install several times. I have tried to install grub-bios before chrooting and after. I am not sure where to proceed. I have been going through the other wiki's the only thing I have not tried yet is

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … stallation

I love computers, networking and Arch Linux. Sometimes I might ask a stupid question, but please have grace with me like I would with you.

#2 2012-07-24 19:27:17

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Re: New installation media ; operating system not found.

You got absolutely no errors during any of the installs?

Can you mount the boot partition with a live CD/USB and show us the grub.cfg file?

#3 2012-07-24 19:53:11

DSpider

So, let me get this straight, you installed Arch (to the HDD, not USB stick), and now it doesn't find any operating system?

More info would be nice. Such as the partitioning layout, which commands you used to install GRUB2, the output of "fdisk -l", etc.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-07-24 20:03:08

alphaniner

'Operating system not found' is a BIOS error message.  IOW, the problem is with BIOS boot order or grub bootcode, not the config files.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#5 2012-07-24 21:59:13

drobole

Do you have more than one hard drive?
The only time I had this problem was when I had 2 hard disks and grub was installed to the one that BIOS did not jump to.
I fixed it by swapping the order of the hard disks in BIOS, so the current master1 became slave1 and the current slave1 became master1. Something like that.

Another reason of course could be that you have installed grub to a partition like /dev/sda1 instead of the MBR at /dev/sda

#6 2012-07-28 00:54:39

cmlr

Did you perhaps run into the problem described on this page?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … ning_tools

It says:
Note: The first partition created by cfdisk starts at sector 63, instead of the usual 2048. This will cause problems with grub2. grub-legacy and syslinux should work fine.

Board footer