You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-19 05:51:54

ckl_88

Automounting

Hi,

I have this wierd problem with my cd's not automounting until I go to the desktop->preferences->Removable Drives and Media.

Basically, once I get into gnome, I pop in a Arch Install CD into the cd drive. The drive lights blink for a while, then nothing. I check the gnome desktop and nothing.

Then I go to the desktop->preferences->removable drives and media, and as soon the window pops up, the cd automounts and displays an icon on the desktop.

I tried another test by rebooting, then popping in the cd again when gnome starts. Nothing. I go into the computer icon and double-click on the cd icon. The cd then mounts and displays an icon on the desktop.

I thought that when you stick a cd in, it would automatically mount and display an icon on the desktop without having to do any of the above steps.

in my rc.conf, the daemons line contains (syslog-ng !hotplug hwd dbus hal !pcmcia !netfs @crond portmap fam network alsa @cups)
modules line has nothing

Anybody have any ideas?

#2 2005-09-19 05:54:19

ckl_88

Re: Automounting

Oh, I forgot to add that after exiting removable drives and media, all the cds automount automatically from then on but then stop again when I reboot.

#3 2005-09-20 01:20:07

ckl_88

Re: Automounting

I figured out the problem myself.

When I googled around the internet I happened to browse to this IBM hosted website about some gnome related stuff. Basically, it said that when you go into the Removable Drives and Media, it starts the gnome-volume-manager if it hasn't started already. Then once it's started, all you need to do is logout and select the "save current setup" option so that next time, when you start gnome, it will also start the gvm.

Cheers.

Board footer