You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-20 02:18:49

Bysshe

Stuck, again, locked out of my desktop

Oh, how did I do it this time...good question.

I followed the guide for changing the inittab file to get xdm to start.  Well, when it starts, I log in my user and everything seems happy until it gives me the choice of defualt/safemode, so I think, that's my only choice, click that, and nothing but grey hashmark screen.  If I ctrl-alt-backspace, it just restarts xdm. 

Question is, since I'm unable to get the linux cd to boot it from the install disk, and I've tried some nooby-concocted tricks on a Knoppix CD met with failure, what is there left to do?  Is there anything I can do?  Shouldn't I be able to somehow stop the boot process before it executes xdm?  Please help.

:cry:

#2 2005-09-20 02:42:50

Nautivus

Re: Stuck, again, locked out of my desktop

Well I don't have any idea why you're only options are safemode or the other, but you can press CTRL + ALT + F2, to change to arch default login method. Then enter you're username, password, fix inittab, until you find out why you are not booting into you're installed desktop environment.

I say this because I don't know if you're using a desktop environment and what kind of environment you have set up. But this would be a temporary fix.

#3 2005-09-20 02:57:38

Bysshe

exactly what I'm after.  Thanks a ton.   big_smile

#4 2005-09-20 03:51:02

Bysshe

Bysshe wrote:

exactly what I'm after.  Thanks a ton.   big_smile

...it appears there is something outside of the /ect/inittab and xinitrc files that is broken.  Probably something I've done...or didn't do....we'll see...very mysterious dr. watson...

And, no, I didn't really mean to post a reply, I was trying to edit the above post.   :x   LOL.

#5 2005-09-20 06:07:37

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

What do you have in your ~/.xsession file? It should contain a line to load your DE/WM. Example: for KDE:
exec /opt/kde/bin/startkde
for xfce4:
exec /opt/xfce4/bin/startxfce4

Board footer