You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-28 21:51:27

Nathan

PXE boot fails after getting ip address from server: "PXE-E32"

I'm trying to set up a PXE boot like it says in the readme, using the new media. I mounted the iso at /run/archiso/bootmnt and ran, like it says in the readme:

# dnsmasq --port=0 \
          --enable-tftp \
          --tftp-root=/run/archiso/bootmnt \
          --dhcp-range=192.168.0.2,192.168.0.254,86400 \
          --dhcp-boot=/arch/boot/syslinux/gpxelinux.0 \
          --dhcp-option-force=209,boot/syslinux/archiso.cfg \
          --dhcp-option-force=210,/arch/

I get an IP from the server but then tftp fails to get a the file it requests.

PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout

I found this on another website:

The "PXE-E32" error indicates that the PXE did not get a reply from the TFTP server when sending a request to download its boot file. Possible causes for this problem are:

1. There is no TFTP server
2. The TFTP server is not running
3. TFTP and DHCP/BOOTP services are running on different machines, but the next-server (066) option was not specified

I'm pretty sure that dnsmasq isn't running the TFTP server, or it's not working for whatever reason. I have no idea where to go from here though.

#2 2012-07-28 22:10:21

ewaller
Administrator

Re: PXE boot fails after getting ip address from server: "PXE-E32"

Have you tried a tftp client on another computer on the network to see if the servers TFTP server is running correctly.  It is much easier to diagnose from a full environment rather than a preboot environment.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2012-07-29 22:05:50

nomorewindows

Re: PXE boot fails after getting ip address from server: "PXE-E32"

You probably don't have TFTPD running, and the next-server entry in /etc/dhcpd.conf has to be pointing to it. 
Any syslinux files that you want to use have to be located in the tftpd directory. 
If you are running a permanent server (which I recommend), you need dhcpd, tftpd, and nfs-server.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer