You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-29 00:28:04

ahel

[SOLVED]write protect is on: dmesg|grep sdb [sdhc 16gb trascendent]

I'm installing on a netbook that is gonna have[i hope] a 16 gb root on a ssd and a 14gb home and and var [2GB] on a 16GB SDHC.
my first set up of parttions by dev fails after reboot' cause sdb is not found[that was the media installation].
first I use uuid and then label : no different results; trying to mount sdb>crashes->to an emergency shell.
after several attempts and a question on irc  I've reluctantly reinstalled the system  using uuid also in the installation but without the desired result.
after Commenting on the lines of fstab
# / Dev/sdb1 ...
#/ Dev/sdb2
everything goes till to login without errors [I think] but it creates the folders home and var in the root[and that's not fair].
trying to figure out,i've found this

dmesg | grep sdb: # sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is on ...

i've done a google-search on that error [I think it's THE error, but who knows] and then another search on compatible  fswith sdhc, but then I surrender to despair and i've posted here.
thank you for any hints

Last edited by ahel (2011-02-07 16:17:19)

religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around and please don't try to shove it down my childrens' throats.

#2 2010-11-29 18:19:53

ahel

Re: [SOLVED]write protect is on: dmesg|grep sdb [sdhc 16gb trascendent]

but if i say

[root@(none) ~]mount /dev/sdb1 -v : 
/dev/sdb1 on /home type ext4 (rw)

it turns out this!
wtf?
if it can be mounted, why it didn't do it automatically?

i've also tried

e2fsck -b 32864 -c /dev/sdb||sync

because fsck.ext4 says at boot that there are bad superblocks, but i didn't find a solution[yet]

It's fine to have one.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around and please don't try to shove it down my childrens' throats.

#3 2010-11-29 18:33:05

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Don't SDHC cards have a switch similar to floppies: when enabled the storage is read-only?

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2010-11-29 20:22:24

ahel

ty for answering me, but i've already checked
^^

It's fine to have one.

#5 2011-02-07 16:16:45

ahel

ok i've solved using /etc/rc.local
tya

It's fine to have one.

#6 2011-02-07 16:49:57

tomk
Forum Fellow

FYI the /home and /var directories will always be created under / - they can be used as directories within the root filesystem, or they can be used as mount points for other filesystems. You are attempting to do the latter.

The reason you were able to mount it after boot, even though it didn't mount during boot, is probably due to it not being made available in time e.g. the required driver(s) were loaded too late and/or they needed settling time after loading. /etc/rc.local is one option for dealing with this - loading the drivers in your initramfs image could be another one.

#7 2011-02-07 20:07:56

ahel

tomk wrote:

FYI the /home and /var directories will always be created under / - they can be used as directories within the root filesystem, or they can be used as mount points for other filesystems. You are attempting to do the latter.

The reason you were able to mount it after boot, even though it didn't mount during boot, is probably due to it not being made available in time e.g. the required driver(s) were loaded too late and/or they needed settling time after loading. /etc/rc.local is one option for dealing with this - loading the drivers in your initramfs image could be another one.

cool!
thank you!

It's fine to have one.

#8 2012-08-02 20:59:19

passaro

I know this is old, but i have the same issue.
Can you share your line in /etc/rc.local?
thx

Board footer