You are not logged in.

#51 2012-07-30 14:24:55

bmanuel

Re: Has rc.conf become unnecessary?

skanky wrote:

Just as an extra, you don't need to be subscribed to it by email, I use the rss feed to keep up with it - that way I only get a post per thread, and can follow up on ones that interest me.

Would you mind to share the rss link? I'm unable to find it.. at least as an unsubscribed user.. o_O

#52 2012-07-31 02:10:43

beroal
Website

kaipee wrote:

This is really just slowly becoming a headache. I have other work to get on with, without having to deal with spending so much time on just getting a PC to work.

Everything changes. You will face those changes sooner or later. You only can choose between dealing with changes one at a time (rolling release distro) or delaying changes until installing a new release (release distro). Some people feel that dealing with changes one at a time increases amount of work to "get a PC to work". I think this is just a perception. Nevertheless, they prefer release distros, so I recommend you moving to one.

we are not condemned to write ugly code

#53 2012-07-31 02:14:49

Jristz

Take me 7 days but I take the change corrctly
problem
change past 2 day and post this 3 days the anounces is in page an ALL pages in wikia stil relly in ONe (not 5 like now) rc. config files
maybe a gradual (remove one think per release can prevent this thipe of receptions and threads...and listen at time the changes

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#54 2012-08-01 11:03:32

Unia
Website

So yesterday I came back from holiday and fully updated my system. Today I got around to merging all the changes with rc.conf and setting up the new config files - all working as it should. There are some leftover entries from my old rc.conf though, for which I did not find a new config file:

DAEMON_LOCALE="yes"
USECOLOR="yes"

USEBTRFS="no"
broadcast=
NETWORK_PERSIST="no"

What about these? Are they dropped, or should I keep them in rc.conf? I don't use the last three and all five of them are the default, but I'd still like to know.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#55 2012-08-01 11:46:39

tomegun
Developer

Unia wrote:

So yesterday I came back from holiday and fully updated my system. Today I got around to merging all the changes with rc.conf and setting up the new config files - all working as it should. There are some leftover entries from my old rc.conf though, for which I did not find a new config file:

DAEMON_LOCALE="yes"
USECOLOR="yes"

USEBTRFS="no"
broadcast=
NETWORK_PERSIST="no"

What about these? Are they dropped, or should I keep them in rc.conf? I don't use the last three and all five of them are the default, but I'd still like to know.

Should be explained in the man page. You can delete then all.

#56 2012-08-01 11:52:20

Unia
Website

^ What manpage? archlinux nor rc.conf has it, as far as I can see tongue

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll delete them!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#57 2012-08-01 12:18:49

beroal
Website

I keep

USECOLOR="no"

Not sure where should it come to.

we are not condemned to write ugly code

#58 2012-08-01 13:34:54

tomegun
Developer

Unia wrote:

^ What manpage? archlinux nor rc.conf has it, as far as I can see tongue

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll delete them!

Hm, oops. In that case I will have to add that :-S

#59 2012-08-02 15:50:28

Texas

What a mess!  Now I need to create a new file for every module in /etc/modules-load.d!?!?!
Also many, many wiki pages need to be updated as they still say to add modules to rc.conf.
I hope this makes it better, because it is not easier.

#60 2012-08-02 15:57:22

tomegun
Developer

Texas wrote:

What a mess!  Now I need to create a new file for every module in /etc/modules-load.d!?!?!
Also many, many wiki pages need to be updated as they still say to add modules to rc.conf.
I hope this makes it better, because it is not easier.

Only one file is needed, you can list one module per line.

Feel free to update the wiki. I did a bit, but obviously not all. The old syntax still works, do if someone uses that it is not under end of the world.

#61 2012-08-02 15:59:12

ataraxia

Texas wrote:

You can put a bunch of modules in one file in /etc/modules-load.d if you want. Put each one on a separate line.

#62 2012-08-02 16:19:47

Texas

Ok, that is better.  The man page says name the file after the module.  So the name of the .conf file does not matter?  So I can create modules.conf and list them each on a separate line?  I can live with that.

#63 2012-08-02 16:30:26

ataraxia

Texas wrote:

Ok, that is better.  The man page says name the file after the module.  So the name of the .conf file does not matter?  So I can create modules.conf and list them each on a separate line?  I can live with that.

Yes, that's right. As long as it ends in .conf it will be read.

#64 2012-08-02 17:12:27

Awebb

Texas wrote:

Well...

$ echo "bluetooth" | sudo tee /etc/modules-load.d/10-bluetooth.conf

I think this is much better than this:

$sudo nano /etc/rc.conf
↓,↓,↓,↓,↓,↓,↓,↓,↓,↓,↓,↓,↓,↓,↓,↓,↓,↓,↓,↓
→,→,→,→,→,→,→,→,→,→,→,→,→,→,→,→,→,→,→,→
bluetooth
^O
^W

It is also much easier to write a little helper (like an rc.d that can activate and deactivate daemons).

#65 2012-08-02 18:43:39

alphaniner

That seems more like an argument in favor of vim than in favor of separate module files.  Besides:

$ sudo sed -i '/MODULES=/s/)/ bluetooth&/' rc.conf

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#66 2012-08-03 01:58:55

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Awebb wrote:

$sudo nano /etc/rc.conf

Houston, we found the problem!

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer