You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-06 05:46:34

tedbell

[SOLVED]Can't install grub 2.

I destroyed my previous installation and tried to reinstall the 08-04 version. After not being able to connect with dhcpcd i finally got it installing by connecting with ifconfig. Anyway, I installed it exactly as I installed my previous installation according to the wiki including installing grub-bios. When I rebooted into grub I got an error:

file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found

I thought this had to do with the fact that I forgot to set the rott partition as bootable in cfdisk but that wasn't the case. I tried the recovery console methods in wiki but those didn't work because some modules didn't install. Thinking it had something to do with the new version I reverted back to the old version, made sure the partition was bootable (primary) and installed. Installed exactly as I did the first time which worked. Now it is not installing grub at all. My BIOS gives me the OS is missing error. Running from the USB I checked the boot directory and all but those missing files before were installed.

Is there something the matter with grub 2. I noticed the front page says this is the first time grub 2 is included. I am sure I installed grub2 the first time and not the legacy version. Can anyone point me to a way to install the legacy version in case this doesn't work again. I can install the w3m browser to access it and install it is it is a pacman compatible package. 

Thanks

Last edited by tedbell (2012-08-06 09:46:27)

#2 2012-08-06 06:07:00

DSpider

Re: [SOLVED]Can't install grub 2.

# mount /dev/sdxY /mnt
# mount /dev/sdxZ /mnt/boot              #If you have a separate boot partition.
# arch-chroot /mnt
# grub-install /dev/sdx                  #Don't use sdx1 here; you want to install to the MBR.
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Done.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-08-06 09:46:12

tedbell

Re: [SOLVED]Can't install grub 2.

thanks it worked also with the help of ebals tutorial

Board footer