You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-06 12:55:07

DSpider

I've been thinking why Archers get "Unable to find root device 10 sec"

It's because around here, ext2 is the generally accepted filesystem for the boot partition and since ext2 isn't a journalled filesystem, if something were to happen during a system update where the linux package is also updated, then the proverbial shit would hit the mushroom coloured fan and then people start to turn to the forums and IRC channel and get the false impression that Arch isn't "stable".

The solution is easy; regenerate the initramfs: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … nger_boot.

But it probably wouldn't happen anymore (or at least not as often) if ext2 was no longer suggested.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-08-06 13:01:14)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#2 2012-08-06 13:02:25

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: I've been thinking why Archers get "Unable to find root device 10 sec"

The initramfs is regenerated automatically when the kernel package is updated.

#3 2012-08-06 13:05:31

kokoko3k

I think DSpider was referring to an already f****d system

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#4 2012-08-06 14:13:06

DSpider

tomk wrote:

The initramfs is regenerated automatically when the kernel package is updated.

Yes, if anything happens during that time (power outage, system freeze, random reboot, etc), the journal doesn't have any record of the last thing that was written, so nothing is restored at boot and the user is left with a broken initramfs. I think this is probably the most common, um, issue with Arch - at least ever since I joined this forum - and I think it's because of ext2 (which, by the way, was released in 1993, according to Wikipedia O.o).

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

Board footer