You are not logged in.

#2576 2012-08-03 23:37:57

W4RH4WK

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everyone. I have been using gnu/linux distributions for a few years and mainly use minimal debian setups to deal with all my stuff, but i plan to replace most of them with arch linux. This might be because of the rolling release principle and the "friendlier" community as well as the nicer design of everything ^^.

Right now i study computer science at university of innsbruck (the university where Gordon Freeman studied if you are familiar with half life tongue)

I'm used to writing code, but i mainly spend more time thinking about software design than actual code. Currently i'm creating my own (of course opensource) Content Management Script (written mainly in PHP) if you'd like to have a look go ahead https://github.com/W4RH4WK/AS-CMS

See you guys here at the forum or at IRC.

#2577 2012-08-05 09:50:21

enricotognoni

Ciao! im very happy, finally i have a little archbang on my hard disk i know archbang is not arch, but is a way to start ^^ is soooo fast and i like openbox+lxde packages like pcmanfm my experience is in debian world, until now, but i hope to learn something about arch. the first impact was not the best because of the symbolic link problem /lib... but the result is worthy ^^

ciao!

#2578 2012-08-06 16:54:22

Silencement

Hello everyone !

This is my first post here, even if I have been reading this forum for a while now. I have been using ArchLinux for a few months now, but never felt the need to join this forum, until today.
At first I was a little afraid to post here because I'm not a native English-speaker (I'm French) but I hope everyone will understand what I'm trying to say tongue .

See you guys on other threads smile

Derpy Hooves is best pony.

#2579 2012-08-07 23:03:12

br.r

Hello!

I've just tested ArchLinux after years on Debian and Ubuntu, and I'm very impressed. This distro seems to be exactly what I've been looking for and it motivate me to learn more and getting involved. I hope I'll be able to contribute and help soon smile

See you ^^

#2580 2012-08-08 12:40:55

x-rix

Hi everyone;

I have used Arch for a year and a half; the forums and the wiki have helped me solve every problem I've had so far, and so I thought I could try and help some people in turn, just to make things even.

About me: I'm nearly 20 and I'm about to go to university to study CS. My current WM is i3, and I'm about to move from Thunderbird to mutt and slrn. That's about it, I think.

-rix

Life's not fair, but the root password helps.
- The BOFH

#2581 2012-08-09 03:34:46

silversilver

I converted to Arch in May, and it has been the best computing experience I've ever had. I use zsh, urxvt, xmonad w/ dzen, and vim for most of my work. I've been lurking on the forums and decided to start participating. I love the AUR and the Community Contributions board.

Last edited by silversilver (2012-08-09 03:35:09)

#2582 2012-08-10 09:49:17

Roach2010

Newbie Arch user here, I converted from Windows to Linux last year and just got a new box so wanted to try something a bit different than the usual OOBE.  Arch is a perfect match for my minimalistic needs.

Last edited by Roach2010 (2012-08-10 09:50:08)

#2583 2012-08-10 10:01:39

nilox

Hello everyone!

I have been using both Windows and Mac for a while, as well as dabbling in Linux. But seeing that I am a student of informatics, and could benefit from learning more about unix/linux, I converted to Arch. It was a natural choice since I'm quite fond of minimalism and keeping it simple.

Hoping to learn a lot from the experience, as well as having a lot of fun with it!

#2584 2012-08-10 11:09:27

kraileth

Hi everyone!

I'm another Arch newbie to hit the forums. After a short period of dual-booting with Windows XP I'm using Linux as my only OS for a few years now.

My "initial contact" was around the year 2000 with SuSE Linux. I liked the bash but hated KDE 1. Being an ignorant Windows user at that time, I knew that there was GNOME, too, but I didn't bother to install it. If KDE was the standard desktop, "that other one ought to be even worse", right? Fatal thinking, but oh well...

Windows was getting more and more annoying, and I was looking for an alternative. Everybody was talking about Ubuntu these days and since there were live-CDs, I gave it a try. After a while I felt confortable with the Linux world and took a look at other distros. Currently I'm using Xubuntu,  Trisquel-mini (basically a Lubuntu derivate only using completely free packages, like the Linux-libre kernel) and Gentoo. Recently I've also taken a look at Alpine Linux, a tiny distribution based on busybox and µclibc and I've really taken it to my heart.

Currently I'm doing some desktop tests for a blog. I was planning to do it with Gentoo, but a friend asked me why I was not using Arch. And well... What should I say? He was right, building everything from source just takes too long. I already like what I saw in matters of Arch during the last week or so. Especially the AUR is a very handy thing. So far I have Arch in a virtual machine, but I already consider to install it on real hardware as soon as time permits it. Guess I have to learn a lot of things in a new way but I think that it should be worth the time. Oh, and how could one not like a distribution that has pacman? I mean that name alone is hilarious!

#2585 2012-08-10 19:05:27

mrbaur

Hello!! i just installed Arch the other day and am loving it!! I used Ubuntu for 4 years, then recently i was trying to remove some applications that i didn't need and things started to break. Then i discovered Arch, i love how it only does exactly what i tell it to. Sure its more work but its definitely worth it. First i installed arch in a vm just to see how the install would go, and it worked first try! so the next day i started to install it as my main OS, and again easy install. I ran into a few bumps with lvm and software raid, but it was nothing that wasn't well documented in the Arch Wiki. At this point in time i don't think i'm going back to Ubuntu or any other Distro. I love the rolling release,  Pacman, and the Wiki.

#2586 2012-08-12 22:04:38

mr337

Hi all,

Installed Arch two days ago and been extremely happy since. Have been a Ubuntu/Fedora users for several years now but was tired, for once, of everything working automatically. I prefer to learn what really makes a linux desktop tick. I learned so much in the Beginner Installation Guide that I knew we was a perfect fit.

Hope to learn even more!

#2587 2012-08-13 18:14:55

BlindGeek

Hello,

My name is Greg, and I'm from Burien, Washington. As my name up there at the top of this post hints at, I'm visually impaired, yet on the geeky/nerdy side (and proud of it). I've just started using Arch a few days ago after listening to other visually impaired friends talk about using Arch on their systems. I even went so far as to do the initial install while acting as a presenter for a weekly tech podcast my friends and I do together. After a brief changeover from 32-bit Arch to 64-bit Arch, I'm learning how Arch does things, and actually enjoying it.

I've used various "newbie" distros before, and hated having to rip out the "crapware" they seem to love to ram down my throat (a personal opinion)... For me, Arch is a breath of fresh air, as for the first time, I have full control of how my system behaves. I could go on and on, but I'd bore you to death, so I'll end by saying thanks to the Arch team and the community for all their efforts.

~Greg aka BlindGeek

#2588 2012-08-14 13:35:32

ximun

Greetings,

My name is Simon and I'm a Linguistics major at the UdeM. In my spare time I work as a semantic data annotator for a speech recognition company, do competitive ballroom dancing and attempt (unsuccessfully) to write a novel.

I'm learning C and Java, as well as a couple natural languages like Russian and German.

After using WinXP for years and growing tired of Microsoft, I recently wiped my hdd and turned to Linux. Gnome, KDE, etc. strike me as too much eye-candy, so Arch Linux feels like the perfect distribution for me. I'm hoping to install 64-bit Arch sometime this week and have a full-fledged system by the time I go back to school on Aug. 27. I'll probably need help from this great community and I look forward to meeting you all!

"The problem is, after a week of intense googling, we’ve started to burn out on knowing the answer to everything. God must feel that way all the time. I think people in the year 2020 are going to be nostalgic for the sensation of feeling clueless." Douglas Coupland - jPod

#2589 2012-08-14 18:03:57

ezven

Hi Everyone,

I've been using linux since 2008. I started with Ubuntu, but since then I tried various other distributions, but I only feel at home using Arch, because of how small the base system is, and how much control I have over it. Until now, I have not participated very much in the community, but I hope to change that now!

I'm also learning how to program. I'm learning Scheme and C, but also know a little Python.

- Michael

#2590 2012-08-14 18:44:31

x33a
Forum Fellow

BlindGeek wrote:

Hello,

My name is Greg, and I'm from Burien, Washington. As my name up there at the top of this post hints at, I'm visually impaired, yet on the geeky/nerdy side (and proud of it). I've just started using Arch a few days ago after listening to other visually impaired friends talk about using Arch on their systems. I even went so far as to do the initial install while acting as a presenter for a weekly tech podcast my friends and I do together. After a brief changeover from 32-bit Arch to 64-bit Arch, I'm learning how Arch does things, and actually enjoying it.

I've used various "newbie" distros before, and hated having to rip out the "crapware" they seem to love to ram down my throat (a personal opinion)... For me, Arch is a breath of fresh air, as for the first time, I have full control of how my system behaves. I could go on and on, but I'd bore you to death, so I'll end by saying thanks to the Arch team and the community for all their efforts.

~Greg aka BlindGeek

Welcome to the forums. I would suggest you take a look at these links to ease future installations, assuming you haven't already.

http://the-brannons.com/tarchblog/

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … _the_blind

#2591 2012-08-17 11:57:34

svid

Hello everyone smile

First of all English is not my native language and that is why you will have to excuse me for my poor English.
About Arch? After year and a half (I still consider myself a newbie) of using it I have to say that it is my favorite linux distro (I've been quite a distro hopper before I found Arch). Love the philosophy of it and the simplicity behind it and love the community(most of my problems were already solved somewhere in the past and I just had to google it), so...
Good job, guys!

#2592 2012-08-18 01:37:01

nim0

Hello peeps, I come from Ubuntu, now moved to Arch / i3. I realise now that I can't go back and am trapped here for a long time - might as well say hello to everybody!

UK user.

ThinkPad SL510 | 3.4.9-1-ARCH | i3 4.2

#2593 2012-08-18 07:43:02

vlatko27

I felt both irritated and cool while trying to register to the forums just now. Irritated because of the linux only approach, only because I'm at my girlfirend's house now, who's on Windows, and cool because I had my Android phone with me. tongue

So hello everyone. smile

Last edited by vlatko27 (2012-08-18 07:44:05)

#2594 2012-08-19 11:14:38

nsmathew

Hi Everyone, Did some minor fiddling around with Linux back when I was in college and had moved away to a Windows only enviornment. Now I am back to Linux after a few years and its been good so far. This flavour seems to be ideal for me as at the end of everything I get a system that is not bloated but does everything that I need. Appreciate the effort put in by the people for the amazing wiki. Looking forward to inetracting with the community.
Regards
Nitin Mathew

Is man one of God's blunders? Or is God one of man's blunders?
Friedrich Nietzsche

#2595 2012-08-20 07:42:21

duncan12

Last edited by duncan12 (2014-10-03 05:27:59)

#2596 2012-08-20 23:46:32

John44

Hi
I've been using Ubuntu for about five years. Installed 12.04 recently, and my annoyances with it have prompted me finally to explore a distro over which I can have more control, albeit by climbing a steep learning curve. Managed today to do a base install of Arch alongside Ubuntu 10.04 (to which I had reverted). All went well, with a few stumbles, until I came to boot the new system, whereupon

'Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS:  Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)'

Not much direct help on the few forum entries I read, but managed to diagnose the problem:

I installed Arch alongside Ubuntu 10.04, and chose not to install grub in Arch but relied on update-grub within Ubuntu to pick up Arch with os-prober. It did so, but incompletely since os-prober didn't recognise initramfs, but only initrd. Solution - disable os-prober and add manual entry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom. Here may not be the best place to mention this but ..... its late.

Am now very much looking forward to continuing to build the system (and learn lots).

Toshiba A100-756, Intel® CoreTM Duo Processor T2400, 2 GiB RAM, 120 GiB HD
Network Connections : Intel Corporation PRO/100 VE  |  PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan]
Arch Linux under construction alongside Ubuntu 10.04
                                     I think I am, therefore I am, I think.

#2597 2012-08-21 02:30:05

Pacopag

Hi there John44.  My story is the same as yours (and many others I'm sure).  Used Ubuntu for a while, got fed up, and found Arch.  I've never dual-booted it with another linux distro, but it installed fine for me at least a half-dozen times.

I'm definitely no expert, but the wiki is really excellent.  Give arch a good honest shot, and chances are you'll never look back.  I tried over 30 distros (seriously), and I don't even think about it any more.  Arch all the way.

Keep at 'her, and hopefully someone with more valuable comments than mine will reply to you.

Maybe start a new thread in the Installation forum.  Arch has a great community.

#2598 2012-08-21 02:37:13

wusarhu

Hi everyone! I've been using Arch for about a month but have just created an account. I came to Arch from Debian, and needless to say, I prefer vanilla packages over Debian's "patched" packages.

Arch Linux x86-64 | i3wm, XFCE
FreeBSD 9.1 | dwm
Toshiba Satellite A215-S7413 | AMD 64 Athlon X2 | ATI Radeon X1200 | 120 GB HDD | Realtek RT8187B Wireless b/g

#2599 2012-08-21 14:04:40

horafaust
Website

I think I'm gonna stay with arch for a loooooooonnnng time. wink

$ head  -1 /var/log/pacman.log
[2012-06-09 10:18] installed filesystem (2011.08-1)

#2600 2012-08-21 22:46:14

EN1RA

Well hello,

I've been using Arch for a while now, but just created this account on the forums in order to have some user-name consistency on the web. I'm an American undergraduate currently studying computer science with a particular interest in p2p distributed computing, artificial intelligence, and functional programming. Arch has gone from something that I experimented with in the vm to my primary OS that I do everything on. Really like the Arch way, documentation, and the community. This distro ignited my passion for computers and significantly helped me rebound after almost dropping out of college. I'm now on my first semester back in school and my little laptop running Arch is the only computer I can rely on. It has yet to give me a problem that was not my fault and even then has been very stable and easy to use. My only problem with Arch is that its not the kind of distro that you recommend to friends. tongue Nonetheless, the Arch community that already exists more than compensates for that. I've never seen so much technical prowess, philosophical passion, and communicative maturity all in one place. Hopefully I can make some serious contributions in the coming months.

Board footer