You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-09 08:36:12

poseidon

[SOLVED] CUPS-printers gone since last upgrade

Last weekend I upgraded my system and everything went smoothly. A day or two later I noticed, that printers on remote machines are no more available, not even visible. They work fine on the machines they are connected to but are not even visible from my machine.

One printer is an old HP LaserJet 5L at an old sidux distro, where cups is of version 1.4. It worked for ages and hasn't been touched in any way since sidux has gone.

The other printer is a HP LaserJet P2055d at an archlinux server installation, which is up to date as my (client) machine is. So. latest cups (ver. 1.6).

Until last weekend the connection to those printers was easy, I even had not to go through the Add Printer wizard of cups (using Firefox). The printer always were visible and IIRC coul be added with a click on an oK button. Until now to go through the Add-Printer wizard was only necessary for SAMBA printers: Other network printer, choose Windows Printer via SAMBA  etc.

SAMBA printers work, however.

So I thought I go through that wizard for my remote cUPS printers too. But no success: Printer not available, wrong URI and the like.

Sorry for my lengthy post, but I don't know were to look first and what to check. The cups config files don't seem to habe been changed, so I'm a bit lost and need some pointers.

poseidon

Last edited by poseidon (2012-08-09 19:16:38)

#2 2012-08-09 08:47:10

skunktrader

Re: [SOLVED] CUPS-printers gone since last upgrade

#3 2012-08-09 08:51:30

poseidon

I went through that and coulbn't find anything that applies to my situation (well, at least I think so). Even "Remote access to web interface" doesn#t seem to apply because the remote machines weren't touched. And, I have access to them.

poseidon

#4 2012-08-09 09:24:51

swordfish

poseidon wrote:

I went through that and coulbn't find anything that applies to my situation (well, at least I think so). Even "Remote access to web interface" doesn#t seem to apply because the remote machines weren't touched. And, I have access to them.

poseidon

Hi there,

with Cups 1.6 the avahi-daemon has to be up and running before cupsd is started. Is this the case with your configuration?

Arch_x64 on Thinkpad Edge E520 (Intel Core i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD) + ITX-Desktop (Asrock H77M-ITX, Intel Core i3-2120T, 8GB RAM, 64 GB Samsung 830 SSD)

#5 2012-08-09 09:58:34

poseidon

swordfish wrote:
poseidon wrote:

poseidon

Hi there,

with Cups 1.6 the avahi-daemon has to be up and running before cupsd is started. Is this the case with your configuration?

No, so I have corrected the rc.conf of the server machine, stopped cupsd, restarted avahi-daemon, started cupsd. No success. Did this on server and client machine. Shouldn't my client machine be able to find that printer when I press Find New printer?

Okay, Plan B: I've always had difficulties to see which protocol to use and how the URI should look like if I use the Add Printer wizard. Any pointers besides the cups documentation (which is rahter hard to understand)?

poseidon

#6 2012-08-09 10:52:21

poseidon

What's wrong with ipp://10.0.0.188:631/HP_LaserJet_P2055d ? It says "The printer URI is incorrect or no longer exists." What am I supposed to enter here? That's the server's address and the printer's name, so waht else?

If I try the same with lpd it says "The printer is in use".

How do you guys add your printers? Are you using printers only locally? I guess, not.

poseidon

P.S.: Is CUPS *the* way to print on Linux? Do I have alternate posibilities?

#7 2012-08-09 12:19:59

skunktrader

Did you try ipp://10.0.0.188:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_P2055d

#8 2012-08-09 19:15:07

poseidon

skunktrader wrote:

Did you try ipp://10.0.0.188:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_P2055d

Man, you made my day. Incredible, I must have been f**g blind. Either I dropped the port number or "printers". Seem to never have tried *that* combination, embarrasing.

Thanks a lot!

poseidon

Board footer