You are not logged in.

#851 2012-08-05 17:47:14

c00kiemon5ter
Website

Re: monsterwm! ~ yet another tiny wm

kalle97 wrote:

put `xterm -geometry 159x25+0+438 -e tmux &` in ~/.xinitrc, monsterwm places the xterm window at wrong position but DWM is normal

This happens in FreeBSD, any ideas?

this doesn't happen here, xterm is tiled and as it's the only window, it fills the entire screen.
it could happen if you set FLOAT as the DEFAULT_MODE in config and xterm's geometry was 0 for the y offset
but even then, the window should get centered..

if you're still having this problem, please post your config and .xinitrc so I can check wink

.:[ git me! ] :.

#852 2012-08-05 18:01:09

c00kiemon5ter
Website

c00kiemon5ter wrote:
prasinoulhs wrote:
Shinryuu wrote:

But.. I also experience the thing that you have to press the button two times when you want to change your layout mode. I'm not sure but I feel there might be an answer for that in this thread. For some reason I feel it's most likely normal to have that behaviour.

Cookie answer this in a previous post. If you have floating clients in a desktop and change the layout then, if the new layout is different from the current (i.e first time) only the stacked clients will change their layout, if it's the same (i.e second time) then all the clients are tilled.

yep, follow this.

floating mode makes all windows floating.
when a floating window exists, and the mode is changed, one would like that window to still be floating with the new layout.
to make a floating window tiled again, one has to reselect the layout he wants.

So, combining those, when on floating mode, all windows are floating.
changing mode preserves the floating state of the windows.
to make the windows tiled, one has to reselect the layout.

I decided to change this to what seems to be more expected.
In the next push changing away from floating mode will tile the non-floating windows instantly.

I will push this after I fix the follow-mouse on monocle bug.

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-08-07 09:25:27)

#853 2012-08-06 00:40:11

ANOKNUSA

@c00kie: I didn't know that was possible.  It was my understanding that Xinerama always extended a single desktop to multiple screens (i.e. all monitors are one long desktop)--hence jfu's  issue with a single terminal spread across both.  I guess I was wrong; if you'll excuse me, I need to do some quick git-fu... tongue  Thanks for all the work.

#854 2012-08-06 07:43:30

kuraku

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

I decided to change this to the more what seems to be more expected.
In the next push changing away from floating mode will tile the non-floating windows instantly.

#epicwin \o/

#855 2012-08-07 08:48:48

bslackr

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it. When I window is marked as float, how do you unmark it? I didn't see any keybinding for it and switching to a tiled layout doesn't do anything to the floating windows, what am I missing?

Edit: It turns out switching layouts does work but I have to resize the floating window before it will work. The window is not (refreshing?), and whenever I try to type anything it doesn't show up. In urxvt, the window size appears to not change whenever I switch to a tiling layout from float, and none of the letters I type show up. If I then resize the window using the mouse+modkey, the text I wrote shows up again. In the GUI programs I tried this (dwb and spacefm), the window size changes and it appears to tile, but the same text issue happens. In spacefm, if I type in the location bar, the text won't show up but spacefm will suggest a directory name as you type.

All this happens when I simply use the modkey and mouse to move a window, and put it in float, but don't resize it.

Last edited by bslackr (2012-08-07 09:00:56)

#856 2012-08-07 09:26:43

c00kiemon5ter
Website

bslackr wrote:

When I window is marked as float, how do you unmark it? I didn't see any keybinding for it and switching to a tiled layout doesn't do anything to the floating windows, what am I missing?

you need to reselect the tile mode in which you're in.
For example, if you're in bstack mode, and have a floating window,
reselecting bstack mode (Alt-Shift-B) will tile that window.

bslackr wrote:

Edit: It turns out switching layouts does work but I have to resize the floating window before it will work. The window is not (refreshing?), and whenever I try to type anything it doesn't show up. In urxvt, the window size appears to not change whenever I switch to a tiling layout from float, and none of the letters I type show up. If I then resize the window using the mouse+modkey, the text I wrote shows up again. In the GUI programs I tried this (dwb and spacefm), the window size changes and it appears to tile, but the same text issue happens. In spacefm, if I type in the location bar, the text won't show up but spacefm will suggest a directory name as you type.

All this happens when I simply use the modkey and mouse to move a window, and put it in float, but don't resize it.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Can you explain step by step what you're doing,
and also mention which branch you're using and any changes to config.h ?

bslackr wrote:

the window size appears to not change whenever I switch to a tiling layout from float

this sounds related to this:

c00kiemon5ter wrote:
prasinoulhs wrote:
Shinryuu wrote:

But.. I also experience the thing that you have to press the button two times when you want to change your layout mode. I'm not sure but I feel there might be an answer for that in this thread. For some reason I feel it's most likely normal to have that behaviour.

Cookie answer this in a previous post. If you have floating clients in a desktop and change the layout then, if the new layout is different from the current (i.e first time) only the stacked clients will change their layout, if it's the same (i.e second time) then all the clients are tilled.

yep, follow this.

floating mode makes all windows floating.
when a floating window exists, and the mode is changed, one would like that window to still be floating with the new layout.
to make a floating window tiled again, one has to reselect the layout he wants.

So, combining those, when on floating mode, all windows are floating.
changing mode preserves the floating state of the windows.
to make the windows tiled, one has to reselect the layout.

which has now changed:

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

I decided to change this to what seems to be more expected.

I've pushed this change, but I still need to fix the follow-mouse/monocle bug

#857 2012-08-07 10:50:00

bslackr

I'm using the master branch with initlayouts, centerwindow, and fibonacci. The only changes to config.h is changing most of the hotkeys to mod4. The resize has been fixed with this latest commit it seems, but the text problem is still there. Heres what happens (this only happens when there is only one window on the workspace):

I hit modkey + Button1 and drag the window. The window is now floating. When I try typing, nothing shows up on the screen and the border designating the active window is nowhere to be seen. I can swith to one of the tiled layouts and the window will now take up the entire desktop except for the panel (there is only one window on the workspace, remember). Again, if I type anything, it does not show up. But if I resize the window with modkey + Button 1, the active border now surrounds the window and the text that I typed before now shows up in the window. For example, if I have urxvt alone on a workspace and move it into floating mode, and type in ls and then hit enter, it will not show that I typed ls, and it will not show the results in urxvt. Once I resize the window, urxvt now displays me having typed ls, and the output of ls is shown.  Hopefully this makes sense.

#858 2012-08-08 12:17:56

c00kiemon5ter
Website

bslackr wrote:

Hopefully this makes sense.

yes, and no big_smile

I understand what you're describing, but nothing like that should ever happen.
I also cannot reproduce it here on any branch or combination of those you mentioned.
I tested with different layouts and no such (or any other) problem seem to occur.
The way you describe it sounds like your terminal/urxvt is not redrawing correctly,
but then again you said it occurs on other apps (file manager etc) too.
I cant think of anything that could be causing that atm.
Does the same thing happen when you use just the master branch ?
Does the same thing happen if you use the rectangle brach ?

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-08-08 12:18:37)

#859 2012-08-08 14:04:36

bslackr

This happens both with plain master and with the rectangle branch. Tried with vanilla config.h as well. And you are correct, it is not just urxvt, it has happened in dwb, spacefm, and pavucontrol. It's not just the keyboard either, when I click the windows also are not redrawn until I resize them first.

#860 2012-08-09 09:07:36

c00kiemon5ter
Website

are you in any way setting WM_NAME property ?
try installing 'wmname' from [community] repo
and add to your .xinitrc before starting monsterwm

wmname LG3D 
exec monsterwm # or some script

or if you already have that, try removing it, even if it's not set to LG3D

# wmname LG3D
exec monsterwm # or some script

I cannot think of any reason why that might be happening.
If I come up with something I'll let you know.

#861 2012-08-09 14:30:41

Shinryuu

bslackr wrote:

This happens both with plain master and with the rectangle branch. Tried with vanilla config.h as well. And you are correct, it is not just urxvt, it has happened in dwb, spacefm, and pavucontrol. It's not just the keyboard either, when I click the windows also are not redrawn until I resize them first.

Are you running compositors such as xcompmgr or compton etc.? That kind of behaviour happens when you have something silly like that enabled.

#862 2012-08-09 15:00:45

bslackr

Are you running compositors such as xcompmgr or compton etc.? That kind of behaviour happens when you have something silly like that enabled.

Good call, forgot I had xcompmgr in my xinitrc. That did it.

#863 2012-08-09 15:28:22

Shinryuu

Nice!

#864 2012-08-11 14:20:10

simon.swe
Website

Im using the xcb variant and it works really good except, click to focus does not work so good. because when I click a window it gets focused. But I cant cut and paste text in my terminals and cannot use xombrero to click links. thats it smile but sloppy focus works very well.
have a nice day!

#865 2012-08-11 17:13:06

c00kiemon5ter
Website

@Shinryuu and @bslackr great you figured it out wink
@simon xcb is behind, but I will update it once I'm done with my exams (22nd August is the last)

parallel with the xcb version I will probably create a "new" repo/wm, unrolling
some code and getting some things easier to read, understand and tweak,
while not being constrained by the code size (which admitedly is not the finest quality measure).

#866 2012-08-15 07:19:53

vbim0nk

Does monsterwm have any multihead support? I'm most likely going to be getting a second monitor for my desktop in the future, so was just curious. I'd like to keep monsterwm on both my laptop and desktop, but if there is no multihead support then I might have to change the desktop to something like awesome(which apparently has really good multihead support). All I really need is to be able to switch monitors with a hotkey and then everything else work normally. Didn't see anything about it in the wiki, so I figured I'd ask here.

#867 2012-08-15 08:45:06

c00kiemon5ter
Website

Yep, instead of master, build the Xinerama branches
xinerama-core just like core  but with multi-monitor support,
xinerama-master just like master with multi-monitor support,
xinerama-init just like master but with extra rules to pre-configure each monitor's and desktop's properties

also check the readme

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-08-15 08:45:52)

#868 2012-08-15 12:48:08

vbim0nk

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

Yep, instead of master, build the Xinerama branches
xinerama-core just like core  but with multi-monitor support,
xinerama-master just like master with multi-monitor support,
xinerama-init just like master but with extra rules to pre-configure each monitor's and desktop's properties

also check the readme

Excellent! This just made me very happy. Thanks for working on such an awesome wm.

#869 2012-08-20 15:22:19

kalle97

I'm trying to compile it  on Slackware64 13.37. It complains about "stdlib.h".

I took a picture of the error mesdage:

http://ompldr.org/vZjY1MA/2012-08-20%2017.12.08.jpg

I've only configured the panel space to be set to "False" and changed the PREFIX to "/usr".

Thanks.

#870 2012-08-20 15:40:11

c00kiemon5ter
Website

uhm, that's very weird, do they ship standard C headers in non-default package ?
what does

$ sudo updatedb && locate stdlib.h 

say ?

There should be a path to "/usr/include/stdlib.h" or similar.
That path should be on line13/INCS var on the Makefile

INCS = -I. -I/usr/include ${X11INC}  # <-- notice /usr/include there 

so if the path returned by locate is different, set that path (notice not to include the 'stdlib.h' part)

if no path is returned by locale, then those headers should either be on some package,
or you (I guess) deleted them by mistake.

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-08-20 15:40:23)

#871 2012-08-22 03:31:04

hellomynameisphil
Website

Grace (cm-grace-bin in AUR) crashes monsterwm.

#872 2012-08-22 16:34:12

c00kiemon5ter
Website

hello phil, thanks for the report

I kindof figured it out smile
I will push a fix once I get some free time to look more closely wink
If anyone is interested in hunting the bug, it's on grabbuttons() func

#873 2012-08-22 17:12:50

firecat53
Website

Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out this xinerama dual screen thingy....never played with it before. I've got the xinerama-init branch working fine on one screen with this config.h.

When I connect a second screen by hooking up the external monitor (VGA, 1280x1024) to my laptop and putting this in ~/.xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh

#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
#
[[ -f ~/.Xresources ]] && xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources
setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
xmodmap -e 'clear Lock' #ensures you're not stuck in CAPS on mode
xmodmap -e 'keycode 0x42=Escape' #remaps the keyboard so CAPS LOCK=ESC
syndaemon -t -k -i 2 -d &
xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr &
xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/local &
urxvtd -f -q -o &
~/.local/bin/wallpaper.sh &
dropbox start &
export AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit
mpd ~/.config/mpd/mpd.conf &
xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto --primary --output VGA1 --auto --above LVDS1
~/.local/bin/startwm.sh > /dev/null 2>&1

1. The bar only appears on the external monitor instead of the laptop screen like I thought I had set in config.h. When I select the monitor, I can toggle the bar with Mod4-b.
2. There is a space for the bar on my laptop screen, but no bar. I can toggle the empty space for the bar with Mod4-b.
3. The monitor numbers are being read correctly, because Alt-F1 and Alt-F2 work correctly to move between the two monitors.
4. I looked at the code and tried to adjust my startwm.sh script to compensate for the 2 monitors (in the dzen display), but I don't think I did it right. It works like normal when I'm just using the laptop with no extra screen, but it starts getting some weird results when I have the extra monitor connected. The gist examples don't have one for xinerama smile
5. Am I starting monsterwm correctly with the xrandr command in .xinitrc? Is there a way to dynamically switch without restarting the window manager (like if I plug in my TV via HDMI to watch a movie?

Sorry for the newb questions...for some reason this is kicking my butt!

Thanks!
Scott

#874 2012-08-22 17:40:59

c00kiemon5ter
Website

firecat53 wrote:

Hey all,
1. The bar only appears on the external monitor instead of the laptop screen like I thought I had set in config.h. When I select the monitor, I can toggle the bar with Mod4-b.

2. There is a space for the bar on my laptop screen, but no bar. I can toggle the empty space for the bar with Mod4-b.

yeah, that's because you've set the monitors to be one above the other,
so it's like having one very tall screen.
the bar is set to be on the top of the screen, and so it's on the top of tall screen.
I cannot do anything to make the bar appear in both monitors.
However, if the bar itself is xinerama aware, it can itself be configured to be displayed on both monitors.

You can remove that gap by setting showbar to False on the init[] array for that monitor

firecat53 wrote:

4. I looked at the code and tried to adjust my startwm.sh script to compensate for the 2 monitors (in the dzen display), but I don't think I did it right. It works like normal when I'm just using the laptop with no extra screen, but it starts getting some weird results when I have the extra monitor connected. The gist examples don't have one for xinerama smile

I use this

"(([[:digit:]]+:)+[[:digit:]]+ ?)+"

so, you may wanna try changing line 26 to

if [[ $wmout =~ ^(([[:digit:]]+:)+[[:digit:]]+ ?)+$ ]]; then

and test

firecat53 wrote:

5. Am I starting monsterwm correctly with the xrandr command in .xinitrc? Is there a way to dynamically switch without restarting the window manager (like if I plug in my TV via HDMI to watch a movie?

maybe I should add that smile
you currently can do:

xrandr --output <the-new-output> --auto --<right/left/above/below> <other-output>

and it will be enabled but you can't do anything with it .. you can drag windows there though tongue
because monsterwm doesnt know a new monitor is there ..yet
I think that's not too hard to do if what I have in mind works.

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-08-22 17:57:26)

#875 2012-08-22 18:29:00

firecat53
Website

Ahhh, I see! Ok, I'll play with that a bit. Also, am I correct that I can't configure a different number of desktops for each screen?

Thanks!
Scott

Edit: Feature request -- uselessgaps patch for xinerama?

Last edited by firecat53 (2012-08-22 18:33:21)

Board footer