You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-25 13:38:52

Moo-Crumpus

Major installation trouble, can't login etc

Hi, I am a nerd.

I went through installation trouble with scsi, formating of discs and partitions, and now that I have done it and do a first reboot, I feel ashamed that I can't log in.

I was so lucky to have the partitions and the aother stuff done, that I have forgotten to create a user ore change root password. Therefore, I can't login with whatever.

Please don't tell me all the work was done for nothing, and give me a hint how I can login, and what are the superusers defaults. And, btw, very merry christmas, and thanks.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#2 2003-12-25 14:20:47

dp
Website

Re: Major installation trouble, can't login etc

the first boot, you should be able to login as "root" without any password needed (just press return)

merry xmas you too :-)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2003-12-25 17:05:03

Moo-Crumpus

No, it won't accept me. It asks again and again, and will not know root:

---------------
Arch Linux 0.6 (Widget) ((none)) (VC/1)

(none) login:_
---------------

I wonder why the system thinks its name is (none), allthough it is named lemone. Sigh. Maybe my installation cd is somehow felted. Most things that should go strait ahead while installing went somewhere else, like formating partitions (went to "Abort Installation? Yes? No?" loop), automatic set of fstab (almost empty file, therefore I wrote my own), grub installation (grub menu.lst intends to seek root in wrong partition, where no one is at all). Maybe this is ... just ... another ... failure ... next to an outdatet installation howto, that made me seek for an arch-05-scsi.iso (that is not distributed) and so on.

If this is what is supposed to happen to new archers, then I'll switch back to debian. But first, I'll fetch and burn and test another arch iso file. This desaster lasts several days, one more ore less won't count.

Frumpus addict

#4 2003-12-25 19:17:20

Blaasvis

well i'd like to help you out but this is a bit too less.. info try also our irc channel on the fly help is much easier wink

Freedom is what i love

#5 2003-12-25 19:17:59

dp
Website

Pink Chick wrote:

No, it won't accept me. It asks again and again, and will not know root:

---------------
Arch Linux 0.6 (Widget) ((none)) (VC/1)

(none) login:_
---------------

I wonder why the system thinks its name is (none), allthough it is named lemone. Sigh. Maybe my installation cd is somehow felted. Most things that should go strait ahead while installing went somewhere else, like formating partitions (went to "Abort Installation? Yes? No?" loop), automatic set of fstab (almost empty file, therefore I wrote my own), grub installation (grub menu.lst intends to seek root in wrong partition, where no one is at all). Maybe this is ... just ... another ... failure ... next to an outdatet installation howto, that made me seek for an arch-05-scsi.iso (that is not distributed) and so on.

If this is what is supposed to happen to new archers, then I'll switch back to debian. But first, I'll fetch and burn and test another arch iso file. This desaster lasts several days, one more ore less won't count.

you are using arch 0.6 iso? is it already out? i never tried this, sorry, maybe it has errors in installer ... try the 0.5 and then update the system from internet (pacman -Suy) ... the 0.5-iso works, that i know

maybe some of the deveolpers or people that tried 0.6-iso can help?

#6 2003-12-25 19:30:31

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

My guess is that your rc.conf (and maybe pam.conf) files aren't being read right.  That's why the hostname is none instead of lemone.  Boot off the install cd, mount the filesystem, and check to make sure all those files exist and have the right stuff in them.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#7 2003-12-25 21:22:18

Moo-Crumpus

Well, thanks for helping me. But it was a missbehaving cd-rom, i guess. I refetched me an iso, burned it again, and (nearly) everything worked very easy and straight - beneath the fact that I have earned an empty pacman.conf. I wonder if this is a bug ore a victory of free minds? Let me see if I find one.

Btw, no, the old cd was no arch-06-iso, I was very surprised about it, too. Maybe i fetched it frome some hackers dirty servers, who knows?

OK, thanks for reeding and supporting, I guess we read again.

Happy Xmas again!

Frumpus addict

#8 2003-12-25 21:36:50

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

If you did an ftp install it would say 0.6.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#9 2003-12-25 21:37:42

Moo-Crumpus

Well, I have not found any pacman.conf file as a master piece, so I have no idea obout the syntax of it. Maybe one could give me a hint, send his pacman.conf to mailto:dont.spam@web.de ore write one line as an example inside an follow up. While one of this could happen, I keep on searching for one example.

Frumpus addict

#10 2003-12-25 21:39:40

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I don't understand how you don't have a pacman.conf.  Download the pacman.pkg.tar.gz (or you might have one in /var/cache/pacman/pkg) and pacman -U it.  That will give you a pacman.conf file.  You should also be able to find the syntax in the pacman man page.

- Blaise Pascal

#11 2003-12-25 22:28:39

Blaasvis

well i starting to get the idea the your arch-0.5 iso is corrupt

use the md5 and md5sum to check if your iso isn't corrupt

Freedom is what i love

#12 2003-12-26 11:35:50

Moo-Crumpus

ok, once again a new cd burned, and things are fine. Now I work on getting rid of "host unknown" while starting x with nvidia mod.

Frumpus addict

#13 2003-12-26 22:11:34

Moo-Crumpus

Ah, nonono ... I am sorry to tell I lost the battle against arch. I wonder who wants to have a linux distro without any ... mystik aid. Who would install gpm and won't have it to be configured for start at boot time? So the entries in rc.conf could be made, fe. Ore who wants to install X, and xf86cfg blows his monitor at first start, as is installed using an unbelievable poor setting. I don't believe there is a need to have it all made by hand. I think this is a service I need a distro for. Btw pacman is quite slow in finding dependencies and so on, compared to apt-get. And apt-get is *not* i686 compiled.So, if arch means linux from scratch with paket manager, this is not mine. I hoped it would be more debian like, but with newer packages and i686 compiled.

But I am not here to flame this distro. I wish you keep having fun with archlinux, and I want to thank you all for your aid over my xmas archlinux days.

Frumpus addict

#14 2003-12-26 23:45:02

dp
Website

Pink Chick wrote:

Ah, nonono ... I am sorry to tell I lost the battle against arch. I wonder who wants to have a linux distro without any ... mystik aid. Who would install gpm and won't have it to be configured for start at boot time? So the entries in rc.conf could be made, fe. Ore who wants to install X, and xf86cfg blows his monitor at first start, as is installed using an unbelievable poor setting. I don't believe there is a need to have it all made by hand. I think this is a service I need a distro for. Btw pacman is quite slow in finding dependencies and so on, compared to apt-get. And apt-get is *not* i686 compiled.So, if arch means linux from scratch with paket manager, this is not mine. I hoped it would be more debian like, but with newer packages and i686 compiled.

But I am not here to flame this distro. I wish you keep having fun with archlinux, and I want to thank you all for your aid over my xmas archlinux days.

i'm sorry you gave up ...

gpm:
in /etc/rc.conf you have to use:

GPM_ARGS="-m /dev/misc/psaux -t ps2 -S "" "

to give gpm the device where to find your mouse .. then you just include in DAEMONS=() "gpm", and voilà, you have gpm working

X:
fast/simple way: if you already have a config file from an other distro you use(d) before, you can use this
simple way: use hwd ( http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=580&start=30 )
to generate a template, then edit, if you want (but it should work also directly ... just rename the generated file)
classical ways: the ways you mentioned
-> i agree: for linux beginners, there should be a "nice tool"

now: the only thing i agree fully with you:
pacman dependency-check is slow, but in opensource things, this is actually only a matter of time (spare time of the main developer) to enhance it wink

hostname:

HOSTNAME="Asteraceae"

in /etc/rc.conf and

127.0.0.1               Asteraceae

in /etc/hosts should solve the problem

#15 2003-12-27 09:57:04

Moo-Crumpus

I tried all that.

I made my usbmouse work, even in gpm.
I could not start X, allthough I gave arch my debian XF86Config file, that was made on exactly the same machine with the same Xfree-Version. It kept crashing all the time.

After several days low level arch experience, I installed debian sarge. Some hours later, my machine is running new xfree, gnome 2.4, and a lot of other stuff. OK, not i686 compiled, but in the end a running system is faster than a crashing one smile.

Thanx for aid again, have a nice time.

Frumpus addict

#16 2003-12-27 10:33:23

dp
Website

have a nice time you too ... and maybe when you have enough played with debian ( wink ) , you maybe switch to a linux you can control (slackware is a good one, because similar to arch, if you dont want to try arch again ... but maybe there will be a solid release soon, that suits you)

Board footer