You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-10 09:34:33

n0stradamus
Website

The new rc.conf - thoughts

Hi everyone!

I've been using Arch on a daily basis for the last two years on my workstation and on my laptop. Its thorough documentation and helpful community have saved me a lot of time, which I am very thankful for. It even motivated to make my first steps in contributing to a wiki smile

Now to what dampens my enthusiasm a little:  After a change of hardware, I wanted to reinstall Arch. A task that is quickly done if I back up all the old configs and move them over to the new system - or so I thought. But I always needed to switch between my laptop, look at the wiki, go back to the workstation and execute the steps. Simply because of a change to rc.conf! I am by no means a Linux guru who lives on caffeine, but I went with Arch to learn about Linux.

As a user of a rolling-release distro, I am (or should be) used to software being a little unstable. But if distribution-specfic things change, I am always interested in the purpose of the change, especially if it introduces more work on the users part at little or no gain in functionality. I searched the forums a little and could not find much information on the topic.

If someone could give me a little input on this change or point me to an information source, that would be really helpful.
Also, I would propose that a copy of the Beginner's Guide be saved under /root of the live system. That would have helped me immensely during the installation.

#2 2012-08-10 09:38:48

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: The new rc.conf - thoughts

I suggest you look here to find the answer.

#3 2012-08-10 09:41:54

progandy

Hi,
The documentation for rc.conf moved to a manpage for easier maintenance. This page also mentions the new (preferred) configuration files which were introduced to unify configuration between sysvinit and systemd. Just open the manpage "rc.conf" in the second tty and you have the documentation on the same computer.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#4 2012-08-10 09:52:11

n0stradamus
Website

progandy wrote:

Hi,
The documentation for rc.conf moved to a manpage for easier maintenance. This page also mentions the new (preferred) configuration files which were introduced to unify configuration between sysvinit and systemd. Just open the manpage "rc.conf" in the second tty and you have the documentation on the same computer.

Alright, thats way more helpful than Allan smile
The "rc.conf" manpage is also linked to in the new rc.conf, but I felt that I should express my opinion about the change.

#5 2012-08-10 10:04:42

tomk
Forum Fellow

Opinions are great, but we don't need a new thread for each one. There are already quite a few threads about this, pick one and post your comments there.

#6 2012-08-10 10:07:16

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Indeed. Closing.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer