You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-09 12:10:48

Caspian

Nexus 7 MTP problems

First of all I would like to say that I've read most of the topics regarding MTP on this forum and outside it. I've installed libmtp (tried the one from repository and AUR), added udev rule for my Nexus 7, installed mtpfs and mounted the device successfully. But when I try to open the folder in nautilus it just openes up another nautilus window with the root of the device. If I try do copy some files to the device from console I get an error and cannot access the device anymore. I'm using adb push for now but it's very slow and I would like to use MTP. Any suggestions?

#2 2012-08-09 14:13:43

mangus

Re: Nexus 7 MTP problems

I read somewhere that mtpfs is bugged as hell, and mtp on linux is a PITA anyway..
I use jmtpfs  http://research.jacquette.com/jmtpfs-ex … and-linux/  for my galaxy nexus , it's fine but don't
expect awsome speeds ..it's in AUR.

#3 2012-08-10 10:28:28

Caspian

mangus wrote:

I read somewhere that mtpfs is bugged as hell, and mtp on linux is a PITA anyway..
I use jmtpfs  http://research.jacquette.com/jmtpfs-ex … and-linux/  for my galaxy nexus , it's fine but don't
expect awsome speeds ..it's in AUR.

Thanks for your suggestion mangus. I've just tried jmtpfs it works, but it is very slow (as you already said) and unreliable. But it seems that this is the only solution (or adb push)...

EDIT:
It seems like the writing process is much faster and more reliable if you do it from console. Maybe there's some nautilus issue connected with MTP devices as well...

Last edited by Caspian (2012-08-10 10:45:51)

#4 2012-08-10 11:45:34

tomk
Forum Fellow

Not familiar with the Nexus 7 itself, but are you sure you don't still have UMS support? My galaxy s2 runs android 4.0.3 and I can still mount it as UMS. The option is hidden away under the Settings menu, but once you find it, it works as intended. I was very relieved to find it, given all the bad news about MTP. smile

#5 2012-08-10 12:14:43

Caspian

Unfortunately there isn't an option for UMS on Nexus 7 (as far as I can see and read on web)...

#6 2012-08-10 14:12:14

slamhound

I have/had the same problem. After seeing these posts, I tried again today. I have libmtp-git installed (just reinstalled today to make sure it was latest version). Uncommented the "use_allow_other" line in /etc/fuse.conf (as described here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mtp) and created a udev rule for the nexus. Then, I mount it with "sudo mtpfs -o allow_other /media/Nexus7". If I use nautilus, I get the same problem as you--clicking on internal storage just opens another nautilus window and I can't actually open the internal storage directory or add files.

However, if I use thunar (and navigate to /media/Nexus7), then I can open it and see the directory structure within internal storage. However, once I do that, there are still problems. I can navigate through the folders and within some folders I can see my files. For instance, I can see pdf files that I've downloaded. However, if I go to my "Movies" directory, where I know there is a movie located, thunar doesn't see it. In addition, I tried copying an mp3 file from my computer to the nexus (into the "Music" directory) and it didn't work. So getting access to some folders and files through Thunar is progress, but there is still something not quite working correctly.

#7 2012-08-10 14:33:51

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

tomk wrote:

Not familiar with the Nexus 7 itself, but are you sure you don't still have UMS support? My galaxy s2 runs android 4.0.3 and I can still mount it as UMS. The option is hidden away under the Settings menu, but once you find it, it works as intended. I was very relieved to find it, given all the bad news about MTP. smile

My Galaxy Nexus runs 4.0.4 (CM9) and only has MTP, no UMS. It probably depends on the device, not on the software.

Jmtpfs works fine btw. A few niggles, but it works.

Last edited by .:B:. (2012-08-10 14:34:59)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#8 2012-09-06 23:08:46

xircon

Found this post in Google, running Debian, exactly the same problems sad  But I have been using AirDroid and gMTP (Jmtpfs not in our repos).

Airdroid is good and free, runs well in chromium but doesn't work in opera-next.

#9 2012-11-01 01:37:32

brando56894

I'm having problems with my Nexus 7 also. It connects just fine, but I can't write anything to the device. KDE just tells me that it can't make a folder and from the console it just says that the file doesn't exist when I'm trying to copy a directory.

[bran@ra ~/downloads/files]$ sudo mtpfs -o allow_other /media/nexus7
Error: Unable to open ~/.mtpz-data for reading.
Listing raw device(s)
Device 0 (VID=18d1 and PID=4e41) is a Google Inc (for Asus) Nexus 7 (MTP).
   Found 1 device(s):
   Google Inc (for Asus): Nexus 7 (MTP) (18d1:4e41) @ bus 1, dev 19
Attempting to connect device
Android device detected, assigning default bug flags
Listing File Information on Device with name: (NULL)
 [bran@ra ~/downloads/files]$ sudo cp -R /home/bran/TWRP /media/nexus7/
cp: cannot create directory ‘/media/nexus7/TWRP/BACKUPS’: No such file or directory

[bran@ra ~/downloads/files]$ sudo cp -R /home/bran/TWRP/ /media/nexus7/
cp: cannot create directory ‘/media/nexus7/TWRP/BACKUPS’: File exists

[bran@ra ~/downloads/files]$ ls /media/nexus7/Internal\ storage/
Alarms  Android  DCIM  Download  Movies  Music  Notifications  Pictures  Podcasts  Ringtones

I've tried this using both mtpfs and jmtpfs.

#10 2012-12-30 16:30:02

jancici

is there any solution how to connect Nexus 7 to PC with Arch {or generaly linux } and copy files from Nexus 7 to PC or oposite?
I did install libmtp and did create udev rules so I have write access to /dev/usb/.../... device
I can mount with this command

mtpfs  Nexus/

then I can go into "internal storage" directory {on console} but when coping file to nexus 7 connection did break ...
thanks

#11 2013-01-04 18:58:09

delcypher

I recently got myself a Nexus 4 and found mtpfs to be very buggy (directories would be listed but files were not and it was not possible to write to the filesystem).

I found a blog post here here that uses "simple-mtpfs" rather than "mtpfs" and that did the trick for me. You won't need to muck around with udev rules as the nexus 7 is already in /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/69-libmtp.rules

To save others work I've added an AUR package here and I've updated the mtp wiki page

The Nexus 4 obviously isn't that same devices as the Nexus 7 but they both run Android Jellybean so it might be worth a try if you're still having problems.

#12 2013-01-05 09:04:30

jancici

I also find that go-mtpfs is wokring too

here is thread with my message
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=155090

#13 2013-01-10 12:46:41

Zucca

What I have read about Linux + MTP... it might be too unstable... So it might be better to set up some kind of usb network between the devices. then with ftp/fish/sftp transfer the files...
This is how I did with my N900 even it had UMS/MSD support. USB networking let me access all the files in filesystem without unmounting the "storage" partition from N900 for my PC.

K.i.s.s. <3

#14 2013-03-10 15:11:19

manouchk

as xircon does, I also use airdroid. In fact it is much better than MTP. Airdroid does not need connect USB!

I've been struggling  quite a lot here with MTP on a samsung tab 10.1. Seems that mtp lib is to old from a gentoo discussion. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-92 … rt-25.html

I will look later at mtp related stuff but I think that mtp lib 1.5 maybe too old and should be updated.

http://airdroid.com/ . The funny thing is that this bad MTP problem leads me to a better solution to the one I was seeking!!

For now this is my solution. I will try aur/libmtp-git later.

#15 2013-08-10 00:48:40

shugoshin

I found simple-mtpfs as the fastest and easiest tool to connect my android phone to my Arch Linux system. I do have an issue with automounting though:
I wrote this script:

$HOME/bin/phone.sh

#!/bin/bash
MNTPT=path_to_mount_point
LOG=path_to_log_file
DISPLAY=:0 notify-send $(whoami)
simple-mtpfs $MNTPT 2>$LOG

and included below line in my udev.rules file such that phone.sh is invoked as my username:

RUN+="/usr/bin/su -l username -c /home/username/bin/phone.sh"

When I connect my phone I can see the notification of my username, however, my phone does not get mounted and the logfile says:

Device 0 (VID=04e8 and PID=6860) is a Samsung Galaxy models (MTP).
libusb_open() failed!: Permission denied
LIBMTP PANIC: Unable to initialize device

If I run the phone.sh script on a terminal, however, my phone gets mounted correctly.

Could anyone tell me what I am missing here and provide a solution for automounting?

Thanks!

#16 2013-08-10 08:45:23

geekinthesticks
Website

I use one of the ftp servers available on the Play Store. Not the fastest, but ftp is very robust and stuff does get copied OK.

#17 2013-08-10 10:33:25

shugoshin

Thanks for your reply. I am using an ftp server and I am quite happy with that solution too. My problem here is a little different. I am not sure but I guess the problem here is related to userspace/kernelspace relation. I would like to understand why udev fails to execute the mount process using my script and username while I can do it myself. If i pass the simple-mtpfs command directly from RUN+= in udev.rules, then it mounts my phone, however even as root I cannot access the folder.

ls

returns

ls: cannot access nexus: Transport endpoint is not connected

Board footer