You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-24 06:45:36

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

TURs revisited

Ok, I'm still hearing stuff all the time about this.  I guess I'll mention this on the forum to hear what you people have to complain about.

The individual TURs are staying, but they are going to be a place for trusted users to store whatever packages they want to (ones they never expect to be put into extra).

A new repo will be added called 'staging'.  The packages from incoming will be downloaded, checked, and then uploaded to staging by the trusted users.  Once a package is in staging, it will be removed from incoming.  From there the trusted user will keep the package as up to date as possible.

Developers will then be able to take packages from staging, check them again, and add them to extra.  This should reduce load on the developers and keep people happy who want to run stuff easily that's been put in incoming.

There will also be a link placed on the front page to the TURs and more explaination about them in a news article and on the pages themselves.

There, everyone happy now?

I hereby give everyone until January 2nd to bitch and complain.  After that, it's going into effect, being relied on, and there's little you can do about it.  So you'd better get those words out now...

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#2 2003-12-24 11:59:35

farphel
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: TURs revisited

This is perfect!

Thanks, Xentac, for bending over backwards to try and make everyone happy!  I can't see where anyone would have room to complain about this "best-of-both-worlds" solution.

You are  8)

Follow the link below, sign up, and accept one promotional offer.  If I can get five suckers (err... friends) to do this, I'll get a free iPod.  Then you too can try to get a free iPod. Thanks! http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=11363142

#3 2003-12-25 10:24:20

Mork II

I really like this solution. Now packages will be tested three times (once by the submitter, once by a trusted user and once by a developer). Good thinking!

#4 2003-12-25 20:58:38

shadowhunter

It is like that in Debian (sort of) so why can't it be in arch.

It is just the repo where you get your packages of that does it. Important packages (those in release) should be checked three times for stability.

Board footer