You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-22 16:20:20

MartinZ

wxMusik, madman or rhytmbox?

Which one shall i use? I know very little about each one:

wxMusik: uses mysql database (cool!), but it crashes a lot during startup

madman: good interface, nice integration with xmms

rhythmbox: seems to work well, but has too much dependencies for not-gnome users. It also takes forever to scan the files. I guess the arch package doesn't bring the .desktop files?
Is it able to enable musicbrainz through gstreamer plugin??

I use Xfce, and what i want from a music organizer is to be fast, lightweight, simple, with good tagging features and with the posibility to build playlist for my mp3 player based on criteria like genre and playlist size. It also would be nice the support of musicbrainz and an eye-candy frontend.

All your base are belong to us

#2 2005-09-22 16:33:27

Vince

Re: wxMusik, madman or rhytmbox?

Well I'm guessing you're a not-gnome user, so what desktop are you using?

#3 2005-09-22 16:56:09

MartinZ

Sorry, i forgot to say i use Xfce.

#4 2005-09-22 17:18:56

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Right now, I'm using rhythmbox but Idon't really like the feel of it.  Once my music collection will all be setup, I might swith to quodlibet from [community] or another player that I can't remember right now.

EDIT: the other player is muine.  I tried it but didn't like it for reasons I don't remember.

#5 2005-09-22 17:50:19

MartinZ

I'm testing Quod Libet and realy liked what i've seen 'till now.
The name rocks!

#6 2005-09-22 18:10:36

Vince

I just organize the music myself, then use xfmedia to play it.

#7 2005-09-22 23:18:55

smoon
Website

I prefer Rhythmbox because it just works for me, is really simple and I can use it as an alarm clock (`sleep ... && rhythmbox --play-pause'). And the development version looks really nice: http://www.sat.uni-bremen.de/~olemke/rhythmbox-dev.png.

I've installed Quod Libet as well and it looks quite nice, but since it's written in Python and I ever have the feeling that these pygtk apps (Nicotine for example) are very ressource hungry I fear to use it.

Oh, Eclair is really nice, too.

#8 2005-09-23 04:16:31

Jedi Stannis

Quod Libet is where its at.... best gtk music player out there by far right now... most potential too

#9 2005-09-23 05:08:49

shadowhand
Website

I like MPD combined with gMPC myself.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#10 2005-09-23 05:18:15

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

smoon wrote:

I prefer Rhythmbox because it just works for me, is really simple and I can use it as an alarm clock (`sleep ... && rhythmbox --play-pause'). And the development version looks really nice: http://www.sat.uni-bremen.de/~olemke/rhythmbox-dev.png.

I've installed Quod Libet as well and it looks quite nice, but since it's written in Python and I ever have the feeling that these pygtk apps (Nicotine for example) are very ressource hungry I fear to use it.

Oh, Eclair is really nice, too.

It looks like Rhythmbox is more resource intensive than Quod Libet. tongue   With top, I see that starting rhythmbox lauche 5 instances (why?) each taking 14.8 MB of RAM plus some gnome stuff. Quod Libet takes 20.9 MB.

#11 2005-09-23 05:26:45

MartinZ

Quod Libet rocks, but smoon has right on that it uses lots of resources (i mean just for a music player)

On the other hand, i learned more about madman and it has lots of cool features. I specially love it's integration with xmms. It's fast and stable. I don't like the taggind feature very much, but i read on their page that next versions will include support for musicbrainz!! The interface doesn't look pretty good, but is functional.
So, a good solution would be to use xmms just as i used to (with it's good integration with xfce) and manage my files with madman.

Any suggestion?

#12 2005-09-23 05:44:05

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I like xmms myself but it can't play flac file with id3 tags in them sad . Other suggestions (in AUR): musiccontrol (in java) and musicmanager.  I haven't tried these, yet.

#13 2005-09-23 20:11:29

keevn7
Website

I use MPD and control it with a mixture of Glurp and the mpdcontroller desklet.

#14 2005-09-23 20:55:07

Gullible Jones

I use MPD and a music collection hierarchically organized by artist and album.

#15 2005-09-24 07:23:00

cmp

I use wxMusik: it has the same features as rhythmbox, but it isn't that resource hungry. it runs on my machine in a decent speed, something I can't say about rhythmbox or quodlibet.
also the built in tag editor is quite cool, with rhythmbox I had to use easytag to get the functionality, but wxMusik's built in editor is able to tag multiple files at a time and changes the file and its database entry at the same time.

#16 2005-09-27 22:30:43

Cotton

Definitely madman.  Powerful, flexible and very quick.  (0.94beta is stable.)

Quodlibet is painfully slow with lots of files, and also crashed for me due to incorrectly formed name tags.  Agree it looks promising though.

#17 2005-09-30 20:43:53

aquila_deus
Website

MartinZ wrote:

Which one shall i use? I know very little about each one:

wxMusik: uses mysql database (cool!), but it crashes a lot during startup

Don't use ALSA driver with it.

#18 2005-10-01 13:35:13

murkus

I'm a big fan of amarok.
amarok 1.2.4 in extra
amarok 1.3.2 in testing

.murkus

#19 2005-10-02 01:56:11

MartinZ

Yeah, it rocks.

What i hate about it is:
- highweight
- much dependencies (at least for non-kde users)
- resources hungry
- crashes

But it has lots of features, it is a very good application. I would love something like amarok, but gtk-based (or efl-based!!)

#20 2005-10-04 07:03:44

Lowe

Hmm.. it's a touchy subject i've always thought Linux audio players were awful and yea most of them are compared to foobar2k. I've been using Quodlibet since it was first released and I always thought it had the best interface out of all linux audio players, however it is also one of the heaviest although you wouldn't think so because of it's slim look, it's also slow at adding files to the database I don't have much music maybe 1,600 flacs and it takes about 5mins. (amd 64 3200 and 1GB ram)

MPD on the other hand has always been the best performance wise but there has never been a frontend for it yet that I actually enjoy using, but I do enjoy some of the features like gapless playback and what not. I'm always looking for new audio players hoping something like foobar2k will pop up one day, but no such luck yet, i'm sure they'll all steadily improve though. I've also noticed python audio players are quite slow compared to the others, but maybe that's just me.

#21 2005-10-04 16:54:30

smoon
Website

Lowe wrote:

Hmm.. it's a touchy subject i've always thought Linux audio players were awful and yea most of them are compared to foobar2k. I've been using Quodlibet since it was first released and I always thought it had the best interface out of all linux audio players, however it is also one of the heaviest although you wouldn't think so because of it's slim look, it's also slow at adding files to the database I don't have much music maybe 1,600 flacs and it takes about 5mins. (amd 64 3200 and 1GB ram)

MPD on the other hand has always been the best performance wise but there has never been a frontend for it yet that I actually enjoy using, but I do enjoy some of the features like gapless playback and what not. I'm always looking for new audio players hoping something like foobar2k will pop up one day, but no such luck yet, i'm sure they'll all steadily improve though. I've also noticed python audio players are quite slow compared to the others, but maybe that's just me.

What exactly is it about foobar2000? I just downloaded and installed it using wine because I've read many posts on different forums from users saying that foobar2k is there favorite music player and they were searching for something like that for Linux. Now that I tried it out (works pretty fine with wine btw.) I still don't understand why everybody says it's the best player around. There's nothing special other players don't have. Maybe anyone can shed some light on that?

#22 2005-10-04 17:26:09

Lowe

smoon wrote:

What exactly is it about foobar2000? I just downloaded and installed it using wine because I've read many posts on different forums from users saying that foobar2k is there favorite music player and they were searching for something like that for Linux. Now that I tried it out (works pretty fine with wine btw.) I still don't understand why everybody says it's the best player around. There's nothing special other players don't have. Maybe anyone can shed some light on that?

Well it's the things you can do with it, It can play almost any format, mass tagger, encode/decode almost any format. It's also highly customizable, you can completely change the look and buttons with coloumns UI. The reason I like it is for the amazing sound quality and it uses hardly any resources at all and I think it's important that audio players try to remain as light as possible, as i've noticed heavier ones often skipping when you move files and do other heavy things like compiling. When I first used foobar i never really liked it either, but the more I used it the more I noticed how great an audio player it really is. Oh and the new beta also has a cd ripper in it, all these amazing features and yet it's so light.

#23 2005-10-04 19:19:26

Gullible Jones

Good point about the tagging. It would be nice if Linux audio players more often included tagging fuctionality.

(Then again, use MPD and you won't need tagging. 8) )

#24 2005-10-05 08:31:05

pressh
Developer/TU

Yesterday I gave bmpx (complete rewrite of bmp) a try, which can be a nice player in the future btw. However the graphical interface does not play nice with fvwm, just like bmp did, so as always I switched back to MPD big_smile
MPD is definitely the best around for me

#25 2005-10-06 08:03:32

Lowe

Wow quodlibet is getting slower and slower every day, what's with that? I added about 200 more flacs today and it added like 10 secs to the start up. Oh and it talks about audio players choking on a mere 10k files? While it chokes on a mere 1800 flacs and I consider my collection small and i'm sure most people would agree that isn't a lot of music.

If anyone finds something that just loads quickly, plays flac and i can browse my music by album please let me know. Thanks! Oh I tried gmusicbrowser damn it's fast but it doesn't have utf8 support which makes it useless to me, oh well!

Board footer