You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-14 08:37:30

doblerone

problems with the resize

As the title says I tried to redimension first my SSD on windows 7 but I can´t do it and I don´t know why. If I try to do it from the old installer of Arch, I get the same problem, I can´t change the partitions size of my SSD (without formating the partition). Apart from that, the installer tries to install Arch in my second HDD.

The device that load the boot loader must be the same in which the OS´s are installed, isn´t it? I´m a little confused about that. I ask this in the case that let windows in the SSD and I would install Arch in the other disk.

Thanks.

#2 2012-08-14 10:00:56

tr!x0r
Website

Re: problems with the resize

Hi Doblerone,

On you second question: "The device that load the boot loader must be the same in which the OS´s are installed."
No, you can install Linux on /dev/sda, and install the bootloader on /dev/sdb. Just make sure that you have the right device as as bootable disk in your BIOS/EUFI configuration.

As for your primary problem, can you give us some more information on any errors?

Cheer!

Remember, when using Linux, you're the one in control
http://www.linux-answered.com

#3 2012-08-14 10:09:18

doblerone

tr!x0r wrote:

Hi Doblerone,

On you second question: "The device that load the boot loader must be the same in which the OS´s are installed."
No, you can install Linux on /dev/sda, and install the bootloader on /dev/sdb. Just make sure that you have the right device as as bootable disk in your BIOS/EUFI configuration.

But if I do that, I will not be able to choose which OS start, without enter in the BIOS right?

tr!x0r wrote:

As for your primary problem, can you give us some more information on any errors?

Cheer!

When I try to redimension the partition in windows, I get this error:
The service is impossible to start, because it is disabled or there aren´t any available devices associated to him (sorry for the translation, but my windows is in Spanish).

Thanks!

#4 2012-08-14 10:38:04

tr!x0r
Website

doblerone wrote:

But if I do that, I will not be able to choose which OS start, without enter in the BIOS right?

No, you will be able to select both operating systems. As a matter of fact, I have the same setup. This is the entry that I created on 40_custom

[root@willie ~]$ cat /etc/grub.d/40_custom
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menuentry "Windows 7" {
        set root=(hd1,1)
        chainloader (hd1,1)+1

}

Instead of  set root=(hd0,1) , I wrote set root=(hd1,1). This works

doblerone wrote:

When I try to redimension the partition in windows, I get this error:
The service is impossible to start, because it is disabled or there aren´t any available devices associated to him (sorry for the translation, but my windows is in Spanish).

Thanks!

Can you give me the Spanish error aswell? My girlfriend speaks Spanish :-)

What you might try, liveboot Ubuntu/Fedora, install gparted and try to re-size the partition with the GUI.

Cheers

Remember, when using Linux, you're the one in control
http://www.linux-answered.com

#5 2012-08-14 10:44:38

tomk
Forum Fellow

Ehmm... if you need help with WIndows, you're in the wrong place.

If you want help resizing in Arch, give us more details - what did you try, what did you expect, what was the result, etc.

#6 2012-08-14 10:51:45

doblerone

tr!x0r wrote:

No, you will be able to select both operating systems. As a matter of fact, I have the same setup. This is the entry that I created on 40_custom

[root@willie ~]$ cat /etc/grub.d/40_custom
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menuentry "Windows 7" {
        set root=(hd1,1)
        chainloader (hd1,1)+1

}

Instead of  set root=(hd0,1) , I wrote set root=(hd1,1). This works

Thanks, I will try

tr!x0r wrote:

Can you give me the Spanish error aswell? My girlfriend speaks Spanish :-)

The error in Spanish: No se puede iniciar el servicio, porque está deshabilitado o porque no tiene dispositivos habilitados asociados a él.

tr!x0r wrote:

What you might try, liveboot Ubuntu/Fedora, install gparted and try to re-size the partition with the GUI.

Cheers

Ok, that´s what I will try to do right now!

Thank your

Board footer