You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-14 16:49:52

naelstrof

How to handle dependency updates as pkgbuild maintainer?

I'm a little new to the AUR and how it works; I handle a bunch of mingw-w64 packages that all depend on and build against mingw-w64-crt and mingw-w64-gcc.

Recently mingw-w64-crt and mingw-w64-gcc were updated, causing all my packages to be built against the wrong version.
Is it my job as the package manager to change the pkgrel version on all the packages so they'll be rebuilt for all users when they -Syua? Or is it the user's job to realize this and rebuild the packages themselves?

#2 2012-08-15 12:30:04

Lone_Wolf

Re: How to handle dependency updates as pkgbuild maintainer?

I've had a similar case with oolite that i maintained for a long time in AUR) that needed rebuilding sometimes after GNUstep or gcc toolchain had an update.
Although the PKGBUILD itself rarely needed changes, i increased the pkgrel version and posted a comment to alert users of the need to rebuild the package.

I think the general rule is :
if it breaks after an update, a pkgrel increase is needed.
Imo it's part of the maintainers job to take care of such things,

Note : many aur users don't use an aurhelper like yaourt, when you increase the pkgrel also post an aur comment so every user who has notify set for those packages gets alerted.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2012-08-17 18:48:41

naelstrof

Re: How to handle dependency updates as pkgbuild maintainer?

Alright thanks, I can handle that.

Board footer