You are not logged in.

#951 2012-08-12 13:53:30

Army

Re: dwb - a webkit web browser

I have to correct my statement, I should have tested with more than just one video. It works perfectly smile

@Onyros, what does dwb do if you click on a link at the bottom of this html5 video? It should be played by webkit's video player, only not embedded in the youtube site, so video playback then doesn't depend on this userscript. If it still doesn't work this way, there's something wrong with your configuration of gstreamer (at least that's what I suspect)

#952 2012-08-13 00:26:40

Onyros

I must definitely be missing something on my end, it's not related to dwb at all. I didn't even have gecko-mediaplayer installed, but even after installing it's still not working. Which gstreamer plugins should one need?

I have

extra/gstreamer0.10 0.10.36-1 [installed]
extra/gstreamer0.10-base 0.10.36-1 [installed]
extra/gstreamer0.10-base-plugins 0.10.36-1 (gstreamer0.10-plugins) [installed]
extra/gstreamer0.10-good 0.10.31-1 [installed]

Just installed gecko-mediaplayer, too and still no cigar. Also, portix, I do not have mozplugger installed. I've tried all browser video plugins with and none works.

Last edited by Onyros (2012-08-13 00:58:47)

#953 2012-08-13 07:04:09

Army

Ok, those gstreamer plugins aren't enough. You could try to install the missing one one after the other and then see which one was missing. Or just install all of them to be absolutely sure. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but it might be good to delete the ~/.gstreamer directory before you start dwb after the installation, so the plugins get initialized correctly.

#954 2012-08-13 09:30:14

Onyros

Thanks for your help, Army, I definitely have a systemwide problem - which I didn't know of before, didn't seem to have anything missing up until now -, as I have installed the entire gstreamer group (deleted the folder, tried mplayer locally and played anything I threw at it, including youtube files downloaded with youtube-dl) and it's still not working. I tried all browser video plugins, including VLC's and it still doesn't play video on the browser.

So, once again, thank you for your help, Army and Portix, I'll have to look at it elsewhere, don't want to hijack the thread wink

edit: mysteriously enough, just tried it and it *is* working - cleared cookies, as I was trying to play videos I had played before -, so I suppose it was gstreamer plugins missing. Surprisingly, though, CPU usage is higher with the browser video plugin than with Flash, can you confirm that? It is quite a noticeable difference for me, though still playable at 720p or 1080p.

Last edited by Onyros (2012-08-13 10:05:12)

#955 2012-08-13 16:53:23

Army

Onyros wrote:

Surprisingly, though, CPU usage is higher with the browser video plugin than with Flash, can you confirm that? It is quite a noticeable difference for me, though still playable at 720p or 1080p.

Yes, this definitely sucks! CPU usage here is higher as well. I don't have enough knowledge to understand why this is. I tried to set the video output driver to xv, just like in mplayer, but the performance is still very low. But the fact of getting more and more rid of flash is enough arguments for me to stick with it anyways.

#956 2012-08-13 17:59:18

kismet010

Thanks for your work, I really love it smile

# Feature request:
- Could you add an option/shortcut to toggle the user stylesheet? Sometimes I want it, sometimes I don't (to be honest, sometimes it just doesn't work, for example Google's sites are hard to code all its CSS elements). With pentadactyl/vimperator I used this: map -ex ,c :set! browser.display.use_document_colors! to change between original page style or my defined CSS.
- This could be difficult, I don't know, but always wanted to be able to set an urgent tag for notifications, throught Firefox to DWM but found nothing. For example, some pages has an option to alert us with a sound (instant messengers, Twitter, etc) and it would be great if this activate the window manager urgent tag, I mean, something like DWM when it changes color of the tag number whenever a terminal run a bell. Is this possible someway?

#957 2012-08-13 19:53:22

portix

I don't think that i will implement a shortcut that changes user-stylesheet-uri, if you are using dwb-hg you can achieve it with a userscript:

#!javascript

var shortcut = "tss"; 
var stylesheeturi = "file://" + data.configDir + "/stylesheet.css";

bind(shortcut, function () {
  if (tabs.current.settings.userStylesheetUri != stylesheeturi) 
    tabs.current.settings.userStylesheetUri = stylesheeturi;
  else 
    tabs.current.settings.userStylesheetUri = "";
});

The default installation now contains also a perdomainsettings extension that allows to change settings on a domain-basis automatically.

I don't know if this your second request could be implemented easily, or if it is generally possible for every site.

#958 2012-08-13 20:05:37

nomadicME

I'm having a subtle issue whenever selecting a flash video whose content is blocked by adblocker in dwb.  I'm using adobe-flash with dwb-hg rev. 1451+ and adblocker.  When I play a normal flash video (without advertisements) I don't have this problem, but when I play a video with advertisements, for instance:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=826528 … id=2378529  (or pretty much any video on espn since they all have advertisements)

As soon as I push the play button after clicking on "click to enable flash" the mouse cursor disappears while within the body of any page within any tab in dwb.  The cursor reappears over the tabs at the top of the browser or over specific content on certain pages like the flash video window.  The video never plays since it's content is blocked.  This is my first question:  How do I enable content from specific websites like espn?  I could paste my filter list if needed, but I didn't want to bloat this intial post any more than it already is. 

My primary and more pressing question is how do I keep from losing my mouse cursor in this case?  The only way I have found to get it back is to restart dwb.  Thanks.

#959 2012-08-14 16:31:59

portix

nomadicME wrote:

I'm having a subtle issue whenever selecting a flash video whose content is blocked by adblocker in dwb.  I'm using adobe-flash with dwb-hg rev. 1451+ and adblocker.  When I play a normal flash video (without advertisements) I don't have this problem, but when I play a video with advertisements, for instance:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=826528 … id=2378529  (or pretty much any video on espn since they all have advertisements)

As soon as I push the play button after clicking on "click to enable flash" the mouse cursor disappears while within the body of any page within any tab in dwb.  The cursor reappears over the tabs at the top of the browser or over specific content on certain pages like the flash video window.  The video never plays since it's content is blocked.  This is my first question:  How do I enable content from specific websites like espn?  I could paste my filter list if needed, but I didn't want to bloat this intial post any more than it already is. 

My primary and more pressing question is how do I keep from losing my mouse cursor in this case?  The only way I have found to get it back is to restart dwb.  Thanks.

I cannot reproduce it since the video doesn't show up here at all, and i don't know why the cursor disappears when you click on a flash video, flash is a big black box for me, it is not possible to control flash using the webkit-api, it is only possible to block request initialized from flash.

Onyros wrote:

Surprisingly, though, CPU usage is higher with the browser video plugin than with Flash, can you confirm that? It is quite a noticeable difference for me, though still playable at 720p or 1080p.

That's not suprising, cpu-usage in webkitgtk is in general higher for html5-videos compared to flash videos. I also uploaded the script now as an extension, the new version grabs the video-url asynchronously so it doesn't block the browser.

Last edited by portix (2012-08-14 16:57:09)

#960 2012-08-14 17:01:16

Onyros

I'm all for it. I've been wanting to ditch Flash for some time now, anyway. Thank you, once again! smile

#961 2012-08-14 19:29:18

Army

Got one problem with the youtube_html5 extension. I use your dwb_extensions collection. Here's the file to load the extension

#!javascript
extensions.load("youtube_html5", {
autoplay: false
});

This one works, but if I want to add a second option, like

#!javascript
autoplay: false,
defaultQuality: 480p
});

it doesn't work anymore, the extension doesn't get loaded anymore.

#962 2012-08-14 19:36:20

portix

It doesn't work because defaultQuality has to be a quoted string

#!javascript
  defaultQuality: "480p"
});

I should fix the default value in the comment. You also need a recent version of dwb (>1453).

#963 2012-08-14 19:51:29

D.

Just a quick post to show my appreciation. I've been looking for a browser to switch to from Firefox+Vimperator. This is the third I tried, after uzbl and luakit and, after rebinding the keys to my liking it's my favourite so far. Development also seems to be very active, which is always nice. Thanks for the great project!

#964 2012-08-15 05:43:37

Army

portix wrote:

It doesn't work because defaultQuality has to be a quoted string

#!javascript
  defaultQuality: "480p"
});

I should fix the default value in the comment. You also need a recent version of dwb (>1453).

Damn, didn't think of quotes. Thanks!

#965 2012-08-15 13:15:54

jakob

Army wrote:

Damn, didn't think of quotes. Thanks!

Thx Army for these sane defaults smile

Just as a hint for all those who encounter similar problems as I did: having no sound: I needed to have the following dependencies installed until it worked w/o any further configuration w/ my alsa setup:

extra/gstreamer0.10 0.10.36-1
extra/gstreamer0.10-base 0.10.36-1
extra/gstreamer0.10-base-plugins 0.10.36-1 (gstreamer0.10-plugins)
extra/gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg 0.10.13-1 (gstreamer0.10-plugins)
extra/gstreamer0.10-good 0.10.31-1

#966 2012-08-15 13:42:22

Pyromaniac

Onyros wrote:

edit: mysteriously enough, just tried it and it *is* working - cleared cookies, as I was trying to play videos I had played before -, so I suppose it was gstreamer plugins missing. Surprisingly, though, CPU usage is higher with the browser video plugin than with Flash, can you confirm that? It is quite a noticeable difference for me, though still playable at 720p or 1080p.

Hello! I have exact the same issue with some other webkit-based browsers (uzbl, midori). I have the whole group gstreamer0.10-plugins installed and cleared all the caches left by webkit, gstreamer, browsers. However HTML5 videos are still not playing. Can you please recall any other actions you performed to fix the issue? If you recall anything, please send me an e-mail.

P.S. Sorry for posting offtopic here, but you did not left any contacts.

Last edited by Pyromaniac (2012-08-15 13:42:57)

#967 2012-08-15 18:49:48

Army

Ok, ONE last thing about the youtube_html5 userscript: It's a bit ugly that after typing "yp" this yp doesn't vanish from the bottom bar. It doesn't break anything, but it would just be a bit nicer.

Would it also be possible to seek forwards / backwards within videos? With this, no mouse would be needed at all on youtube, what an awesome experience that would be!! smile

Last edited by Army (2012-08-15 19:53:31)

#968 2012-08-15 20:30:11

Onyros

Pyromaniac wrote:
Onyros wrote:

Hello! I have exact the same issue with some other webkit-based browsers (uzbl, midori). I have the whole group gstreamer0.10-plugins installed and cleared all the caches left by webkit, gstreamer, browsers. However HTML5 videos are still not playing. Can you please recall any other actions you performed to fix the issue? If you recall anything, please send me an e-mail.

P.S. Sorry for posting offtopic here, but you did not left any contacts.

What eventually worked for me was the addition of the entire gstreamer group, from what I gathered. I had tried all browser video plugins to no avail, and right now I have none installed, actually: meaning, I don't have the VLC plugin, gecko-mediaplayer, totem-plugin nor mozplugger.

It just started working after I opened a video I hadn't opened before and from then on all videos worked. I'm sorry I can't be of much more help, but even when it started working it was surprising: one minute it didn't work, the next it did.

#969 2012-08-15 20:37:46

portix

Army wrote:

Ok, ONE last thing about the youtube_html5 userscript: It's a bit ugly that after typing "yp" this yp doesn't vanish from the bottom bar. It doesn't break anything, but it would just be a bit nicer.

Would it also be possible to seek forwards / backwards within videos? With this, no mouse would be needed at all on youtube, what an awesome experience that would be!! smile

If fixed the thing with the remaining shortcut in the bottombar, this was a bug in dwb, not in the script, i also added a shortcut "seek" to the youtube_html5 script, the default shortcut is "ys", it can be used in two different ways, pressing "33ys" will seek to 33 percent of the video, entering

:yt_seek 3:44

will seek to position 3:44. It also needs the most recent version of dwb to work. I will also try to add a shortcut for changing to fullscreen.

#970 2012-08-15 20:45:27

Army

Awesome!!!

#971 2012-08-15 23:09:18

portix

I also added shortcuts for seeking forward/backward, it seems that fullscreen always needs user interaction and it's not possible to enable fullscreen programmatically.

#972 2012-08-16 00:32:40

kismet010

Thanks for the script @portix

#973 2012-08-16 01:31:41

jakob

portix wrote:

I also added shortcuts for seeking forward/backward, it seems that fullscreen always needs user interaction and it's not possible to enable fullscreen programmatically.

Too bad, that would be the last tiny bit missing for the feeling to be like "home with mplayer", but being able to use youtube with the keyboard just like that is fantastic! Thanks alot!

#974 2012-08-16 08:37:58

Army

Actually fullscreen with webkit's video player is very messy here. I switched to fullscreen yesterday, but couldn't quit fullscreen anymore. In the end all I could do was killing dwb sad I've had this issue since I switched to webkit browsers. A while ago this even made my whole system freeze and I had to do a hard reset of the computer.

Don't you have these problems with the webkit video player?

#975 2012-08-16 08:56:30

jakob

Army wrote:

Actually fullscreen with webkit's video player is very messy here. I switched to fullscreen yesterday, but couldn't quit fullscreen anymore. In the end all I could do was killing dwb sad I've had this issue since I switched to webkit browsers. A while ago this even made my whole system freeze and I had to do a hard reset of the computer.

Don't you have these problems with the webkit video player?

Yes, had the same issue: when clicking <Esc> or the button to end fullscreen, the video played on for another 10-30 seconds and I also thought about killing dwb, but then suddenly, it was back to normal size again and I could simply close the tab and continue using dwb…

Board footer