You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-24 15:56:05

dlin

ArchLinux_Newbie_Guide added in wiki

Hi, everybody, I'm Daniel YC Lin, come from Taiwan.
One year ago, I'm trying using colinux, and found archlinux seems more lightweight than Gentoo(I using Gentoo Linux about 2-3 years).  But because the internationalization problem, I forgive this.

After one year, I found ArchLinux seems more usable to handling Chinese, I start trying to use it again one week ago.

About 100 wiki/doucument link reading,  I conclude on the wiki page
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arc … wbie_Guide .  Wish this guide could help other people get into ArchLinux quicker.

Please give me some comment about this guide, and help me to fix the strange English of me.  Thanks.

Running 4 ArchLinux including sh4twbox,server,notebook,desktop. my AUR packages

#2 2005-09-24 20:09:15

Vince

Re: ArchLinux_Newbie_Guide added in wiki

Perhaps you could change 686 to say "every processor from P2 up" ?

#3 2005-09-24 20:55:05

paranoos

"every processor from P2 up" is misleading. first of all, 686 includes PPro. also, it is wise to note that AMD CPUs newer than the K7 should also be supported. However, other 686-class chips, such as those from VIA or Cyrix, or the AMD K6, won't work, since they don't support the (optional) cmov instruction, which the compiler requires.

SO, if you want to be specific, you could say Arch can be run on i686 supporting the cmov instruction, such as Intel Pentium Pro and Pentium 2 and newer, AMD Athlon and newer, but not Cyrix or VIA.

But we shouldn't be that specific, i686 is most correct. If you think your machine should work, but can't get it installed, then you need to check /proc/cpuinfo (on a linux machine you can boot smile ) and see if it lists cmov as one of the flags.

#4 2005-09-24 21:08:32

Vince

A newbie isn't going to know what a cmov instruction is, but "P2/Pentium Pro and up, plus athlon and up, but not Cyrix or VIA"  would be nice
calling the i686 a low-end PC is going to confuse a lot of newbies and may make some of them thing that arch wont' run on their P4 tongue

#5 2005-09-25 04:51:03

deficite

I knew what i686 was before I even touched Linux.

#6 2005-09-25 05:52:54

Vince

Chances are you weren't the average newbie..

#7 2005-09-25 13:00:03

Kern

your

ArchLinux Improver
We wish ArchLinux be more smart, more friendly to newbie

seems to conflict with

Short:
Arch Linux is an i686-optimized linux distribution targeted at competent linux users (read: not afraid of the commandline)

from the official archlinux About page.

I dont think theres much intention of simplifying Archlinux itself to cater for complete linux novices, but extra guidance in the form of an Arch Wiki newb page i think would be quite welcome smile

Its a nice change to see someone helping with WIKI contribution, rather than sit at the side and say "arch needs to be easier for newbs" criticism.

Well done.

#8 2005-09-25 15:04:23

dlin

Kern wrote:

your

ArchLinux Improver
We wish ArchLinux be more smart, more friendly to newbie

seems to conflict with

Short:
Arch Linux is an i686-optimized linux distribution targeted at competent linux users (read: not afraid of the commandline)

from the official archlinux About page.

I dont think theres much intention of simplifying Archlinux itself to cater for complete linux novices, but extra guidance in the form of an Arch Wiki newb page i think would be quite welcome smile

Thanks your encurage.   Yes, some my opionion seems conflict with newbie.  But who knows,  maybe oneday the Archie Livecd will become more friendly to any one who just understand in 'windows' GUI' environment.

And, because I found although I'm familar with *unix since the 1.2 MB floppies business distribution Xenix, I still can't quick jump into arch in one day.   That's the document problem, so, if there have anyone could just tell others, what problem they have solved when playing with ArchLinux.  That will help newbies enjoy AL.

And, in fact, there still have many question exist in my brain, I guess there must have many experienced ArchLinux user have solved.  Wish there will have many people to modify this wiki, share their experience when they just jump into ArchLinux.

I also edit another wiki page, http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UsefulPackages .

That is a install note from my gentoo experience,  but I think that can be a base wiki.   I wish someday there have somebody to update them to more correct on ArchLinux.

Why I doing such 'UsefulPackages'?   Let me talk a little story.   I'm familar with Gentoo, as I know, utf-8 env can edit Chinese on mlterm/rxvt/....   But, I've tried many such terminal software,  just failed.  About one week later, one friend tell me, in ArchLinux, there have a 'terminal' package is workable.   Wa!  I waste many time sad   So, I think we need to suggest new user in ArchLinux, what's workable/best package which popular used.

Both wiki page welcome you to edit, add some your experience into it.  Thanks.

Running 4 ArchLinux including sh4twbox,server,notebook,desktop. my AUR packages

Board footer