You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-17 15:05:50

adr3nal1n

grub-legacy, systemd and mounting XFS partitions during boot

Hi,

Just wanted to post on this in case anyone else runs into a similar issue to me,

After successfully migrating my primary Arch fileserver to use systemd I thought I would do the same to my backup Arch file server,

This did not go so well, as my backup server runs headless with ssh access etc so when it came to my first boot with systemd activated the backup server did not reappear on the network. Had to bring the box into work to connect up to a screen/keyboard only to find systemd had entered and stalled the boot process (so had not brought the network up as a result) at some kind of emergency mode (told me to hit ctrl-D to continue) because it couldn't automatically mount my XFS partitions during boot. I #'d out the XFS partition entries in /etc/fstab and rebooted and it then booted all the way up successfully, albeit without my XFS partitions being mounted of course.

After some very random googling, I considered the only difference between the primary and backup servers and realised the primary was using grub2 and the backup was using the grub-legacy boot loader.

I replaced grub-legacy on the backup file server with grub2, re-added my XFS paritions back into /etc/fstab and rebooted and everything now works correctly.

Hope this info helps someone with similar issues.

I must say, I do like the whole systemd experience so far and have even managed to create a few custom service units.

Cheers.

Board footer