You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-12 13:16:09

beopen

lxde: no shutdown suspend hibernateand reboot options

i have installed the following SLIM,pm-utils upower. Dbus runs as daemon.
.xinitrc line for lxde is  exec startlxde
It is said in wiki slim automatically handles ck-launch-session.
Nevertheless i also tried the oft quoted line of ck-launch-session dbus-launch to start lxde in the xinitrc file. That also does not work
So currently reverted back to exec startlxde.
As of now lxde just gives the logout option which is from openbox.
Now i have to poweroff and reboot using terminal.

So how to get the above four options.
Also i find one more buggy thing, when you click the logout button, it takes about 5-6 seconds for the window to appear.
Nevertheless i want to know how to get the above options.

#2 2012-08-14 12:25:24

beopen

Re: lxde: no shutdown suspend hibernateand reboot options

any help pls ?

#3 2012-08-14 13:33:08

Lennie

Do you mean that the logout dialog doesn't show up at all when clicking on 'logout' (or whatever it says) in lxmenu? Or that nothing happens when you klick any of the alternative?

If the logout-menu show up but nothing happens when you click it, it's probably caused by authentication failure. I had some authentication problem with Slim, so try without Slim and see if it works then.

#4 2012-08-14 18:18:21

Barthalion
Forum Fellow

Did you add yourself to power group?

#5 2012-08-15 06:08:54

beopen

i am added to power group as mentioned in the beginners guide right from the beginning.
when you click the red logout button it takes 5-6 seconds to come on the screen. Next when the same comes with the message " logout lxde session" it comes with 2 buttons below namely
1. logout 2.cancel. The other buttons are not there.
There is no option for shutdown, reboot,suspend, hibernate.
I just cheked with an Lubuntu 12.04 live cd which i have and there every  option is there.
So right now i am shutting & reboot down in arch linux using terminal, which i am able to do comfortably.

#6 2012-08-15 07:03:51

Lennie

What I have seen when I used LXDE is that there is 2 different 'logout buttons', one in the panel and one in the menu. The one in the panel is only logging out from the lxde-session, but the one in the menu also has shutdown and reboot. Has it disappeared from the menu?

#7 2012-08-15 12:05:45

beopen

i checked the menu button. It also shows the same window as you get when you click the panel button. It also takes 5-6 sec to appear after you click.

#8 2012-08-15 16:32:25

Lennie

What happens if you run 'lxde-logout' in terminal? That should open the dialog for shutdown, reboot...

#9 2012-08-16 02:52:27

beopen

that also shows the same behaviour. 5 seconds for the window to come with the same options logout & cancel.No other options.

#10 2012-08-16 11:55:44

Lennie

This for sure is a problem with Consolekit, and I'll bet the cause of it is Slim, again...
I checked the source code for lxsession-logout, and it uses Consolekit. It only shows those alternatives that are available, so if Consolkit is not working properly, it will not show the alternatives for shutdown and reboot.

Do the following:
* Get rid of Slim, and use startx from console until your problems are solved.
* Make sure you have dbus in your DAEMONS array in rc.conf.
* Your .xinitrc should only have this line:

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch startlxde

Delete or comment out everything else.

#11 2012-08-17 12:08:58

beopen

hi lennie,
i did the changes as you mentioned.
1.all the lines in the xinitrc file commented out including the snippet script which comes by default & appended it with just this one line exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch startlxde
2.slim is out and now using startx.
3.On lxde the status is same. The logout window takes 5-6sec to appear and only gives logout and exit options.

#12 2012-08-17 14:12:45

Lennie

Strange... I have no more ideas.

#13 2012-08-18 16:03:43

beopen

so does this not be reported as a bug in LXDE with such delay in  the logout window plus no options to get out of the system [shutdown,reboot,suspend,hibernate].
There is no point to use it then.

#14 2012-08-18 17:10:53

bgc1954

I doubt it's a bug as I just reinstalled lxde--haven't used it in awhile--and don't have any of your issues.  I have pm-utils installed but not upower and it still works with no delay.  I was going to blame it on slim as well but now you're using startx. I use xdm for a login manager but startx is about as simple as you can get.  The only thing I can think of is that I have /etc/sudoers with the following content to permit me to halt or reboot without a password.

username          ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /sbin/halt
username          ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /sbin/reboot

Maybe that lets me have the shutdown and reboot in the logout menu?

Edit: Scratch that thought.  I just commented out those two lines and logged out and back in and logout menu still functions fine.  Something is messed up in your setup and maybe someone else will have an idea.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-08-18 17:16:27)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#15 2012-08-18 18:58:32

beopen

well post my core installation,which is straighforward and simple as simply guided by the beginners guide all i have done is follow the wiki for slim and lxde and in them everything is simply mentioned. All i have done is install slim,lxde package. Post that when you see your desktop, you see the problem. So you go to the forum.
Secondly, i can agree a problem in setup if suppose there was some commands like Pacman -S shutdown, reboot,hibernate to generate those buttons in lxde and i missed to run one of them.
I guess the Lxsession should display all those buttons, thats what i have seen in systems like lubuntu.
As of now to my problem no answers are clear. Some are blaming slim, some are suggesting editing xinitrc, some are saying some lines in xinitrc should be like this and that.
But you tell me what has that got to do with the buttons which is supposed to be shown by the lxsession menu.
To have such a disaster, i should really have messed something in my installation which is not possible[ the arch installer does that for you and the config files say rc.conf, etc/hosts, etc,etc during setup have nothing to do with generation of those options in the lxsession menu] or i have not installed something which does give those options in the logout menu.
So to get those options on the lxsessions, something is not installed may be true, but something is messed in the system seems a bit strange. because everything goes in a flash upto the tty and Start of X. The problem begins thereafter only.
And that too to point where is not clear.
1.Slim 2.xinitrc or 3. lxde
except guesses, no clear solution.
So all i can say is there is a bug or if someone knows that issue very clear, he can guide better.
p.s. there is a same query on the lxde forums http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31508

Last edited by beopen (2012-08-18 19:03:11)

#16 2012-08-18 19:43:11

bgc1954

I don't know why you're insisting it's a bug and that post on the lxde forums is from January--alot can happen in 8 months.  I just installed lxde on a newly installed Arch that I did a few days ago to try out the new iso without aif.  It had no other wm's besides openbox but I used xdm on this install as well.  I don't use suspend or hibernate on my desktop so pm-utils and upower are not installed but I still have shutdown, reboot, logout and cancel with no delay when the menu comes up.  That's why I was saying that something else is messed up.  Just installing slim and lxde would not cause this problem.  My best suggestion, and I don't recommend it often, would be to uninstall slim and lxde and then reinstall lxde.  I've now done two installs of lxde and can't replicate your problem.

Edit:  And just for good measure I installed slim and started it by editing my /etc/inittab and didn't even touch the slim.conf.  I still get the shutdown and reboot options in the logout menu so I guess we can't blame slim either for a change.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-08-18 20:15:24)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#17 2012-08-19 12:00:41

beopen

i have installed only at the end of july.Post when i see the desktop this issue is seen and thus to the forums.
Reinstallation i have kept as a last option only if there is really no valid answer to the problem. because on the net and even on arch linux forums this problem is seen. Multiple answers are there, but the problem the way i had put i saw only two of the similar type and in one case it is not answered as you see in that previous link of lxde forums. Then  there is this one which i had seen on the first day when i started this query and infact thought not to start a new query, but i was not knowing whether to mess up in the other guys query. The link https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1145293.
Now today i got this which also mention the same above problem like me as a bug on the net in a fedora bug report. Here is the link =https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.c … BUG 800658 The topic is same as like mine.
Now whether it is solved or not i am not sure. The answer is also not convincing whether it is solved for everybody.
However i want to mention the following. When i type lxde-logout on the terminal and the same window behaviour happens, when you click cancel, this message is output on terminal

** (lxsession-logout:587): WARNING **: dbus-interface.c:94: DBUS: The name org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files

Because in the above arch linux query link which i have mentioned that guy also gets the same message.

#18 2012-08-19 12:04:26

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

"that guy" was running an ARM install. Is yours an ARM install? lxsession-logout should not be calling hal in a current install.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-08-19 12:04:40)

#19 2012-08-19 12:22:26

beopen

Yeah i missed to paste that point, in one of the post he had mentioned it. mine is not an ARM install. Its a plain normal cd installtion of the downloaded core image.

#20 2012-08-19 12:52:02

Lennie

I just made a new install of Arch in virtualbox. I followed the Beginners Guide until 'startx'. After that I installed the whole group of lxde.

First time I started lxde with: 'xinit /usr/bin/startlxde'. It was the same as you described: only logout and cancel in the logout menu and I couldn't see the other partitions in Pcmanfm. But the logout menu showed up immediately.

I logged out, back to console, and then I started lxde again, this time with

xinit /usr/bin/ck-launch-session startlxde

Now I got the options for shutdown and reboot.

I installed gfvs and after that the other partitions showed up in Pcmanfm. (I think I needed to reboot before it took effect.)

lxsession-logout can use either HAL or consolekit. I got the same error about HAL when I started it from lxterminal. That's nothing to worry about.

I'd also suggest you reinstall lxde, and dbus.

#21 2012-08-19 17:19:00

bgc1954

Something you might try is running

ck-list-sessions

in a terminal to make sure you have an active consolekit session.  Also doing a little reading on consolekit mentioned something about being in the group "wheel" to allow users to shutdown their computer.  Make sure to logout and then log back in.  Maybe that might help.  I always put myself in the wheel group when I install so maybe that's why shutdown options work for me.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-08-19 17:50:58)

#22 2012-08-22 16:36:15

beopen

1.i uninstalled lxde slim and extras mentioned on the lxde wiki which i had installed.
2.did a sys upgrade
3.installed lxde group only
4.feedback below:
launch command:xinit /usr/bin/ck-launch-session dbus-launch startlxde [ dbus launch was used only in setting 2,]
Only 2 buttons are shown still in the logout menu window.
Under the following settings this is the observation.

setting 1: no dbus in daemons array, only ck launch

$ ck-list-sessions
** Message: Failed to connect to the D-Bus daemon: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

the logout menu appears instant and smoothly when logout clicked.
setting 2: no dbus in daemons array,  ck launch dbus launch

$ ck-list-sessions
** Message: Failed to connect to the D-Bus daemon: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

the logout menu appears instant and smoothly when logout clicked.

setting 3:dbus in daemons array only ck launch

ck-list-sessions
active = TRUE
	x11-display = ':0'
	x11-display-device = '/dev/tty7'
	display-device = '/dev/tty1'
	remote-host-name = ''
	is-local = TRUE

in this it takes 5-6 seconds for the logout screen to appear.

if u type lxde-logout in terminal

** (lxsession-logout:613): WARNING **: dbus-interface.c:94: DBUS: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files

** (lxsession-logout:613): WARNING **: dbus-interface.c:94: DBUS: The name org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files

gvfs, upower, pm utils etc nothing is yet installed,

In this case everything is the same as before re-installing of lxde, if dbus is put in daemon array in rc conf. Only this new warning of upower is coming as it was then installed.
The problem is still persisting as it was at the start of the query in this setting.
The only change observed is if dbus is not in the daemon array, the 5-6 sec taken for the logout menu to come is not seen both in setting 1 & 2.

#23 2012-08-22 21:17:36

bdalenoord

Just my 2 cents... This somehow reminds me of a problem I had with XFCE and the logout-dialog...

Does your setup run with a disabled nvidia card through an acpi-call? Make sure you blacklist the nouveau-module if so...

#24 2012-08-23 06:48:28

beopen

i dont have a nvidia card or any other additional graphic cards.

Last edited by beopen (2012-08-23 06:51:12)

#25 2012-11-16 14:48:17

gymka
Website

had same problem, in my case problem was that i removed consolekit. current lxsession version don't has systemd-logind support so compiled git version + patch ( http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph … tid=894871 ) and everything works again. i reported that problem in https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32706

Last edited by gymka (2012-11-16 14:48:39)

Board footer