You are not logged in.

#176 2012-08-18 13:52:07

knopwob
Website

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

chneukirchen wrote:

I'm not sure this ever worked, but Pidgin messages in UTF-8 are not properly displayed (latin1 mangled instead).

i18ln

I haven't encountered broken characters from any application yet. Are you using a xft font and if not, does it work when you try an xft font?
I'm using

font = UbuntuMono-10

#177 2012-08-18 15:32:18

illusionist

First thank you so much for this great piece of program, I really appreciate your efforts. Keep up the good work.
I am using dwm and trying to bind mod4+x key to close the notifications but it does not seem to work. (mod4+x is not bound to anything). Even the default keybindings also does not work for me. Maybe I am doing something wrong.
Can you shed some light on how to do that properly. I am using this PKGBUILD and the default dunstrc with "-config" flag. here is the .dunstrc i am using : .dunstrc

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

#178 2012-08-18 15:50:41

knopwob
Website

@illusionist:

I'm glad you like it. Let's start with the basics. Are you running the current version?

$ dunst -v
Dunst - Dmenuish notification daemon version: v0.3.0-26-g788ed74

Secondly, is your dunstrc actually loading e.g are the notifications displayed in your colors?
And if that's the case, does dunst print anything when you run it from the terminal? Please note: dunst only grabs the keys when there's actually a notification displayed (except the history key, which is always grabbed), so some errormessages are only printed after the the first notification.

#179 2012-08-18 16:35:24

illusionist

@knopwob
thank you for replying.
here is the dunst -v output

no dunstrc found -> skipping

Dunst - Dmenuish notification daemon version: v0.3.0-26-g788ed74

and the file is loading perfectly, i can see all the changes i've made. I think here is some catch, the exact thing i am doing is running this in the terminal

$ dunst -config .dunstrc

and on the second tab doing this

$ notify-send "hello this is a text."

then a notification appears and I try to use the keybindings but nothing works. I must be missing something here.

Last edited by illusionist (2012-08-18 16:37:26)

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

#180 2012-08-18 16:54:37

knopwob
Website

illusionist wrote:

@knopwob
then a notification appears and I try to use the keybindings but nothing works. I must be missing something here.

Hmm, I don't see anything out of the order. Do you have anything "unusual" in your setup. An exotic keyboard layout or something like that?
And does closing the notifications by mouseclick work? (left-click close one notification, right-click close all notifications)

I'll let you know if I can think of anything else and please let me know, when you fixed the issue in the meantime, I'm curious wink

#181 2012-08-18 17:02:23

illusionist

not any unusual setup. just "us" keyboard layout and closing the notifications with mouse does work.
As far as I can think it could be related to "_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW property" , i'll look further and see what can be done. thanks

@github

#182 2012-08-18 21:46:15

knopwob
Website

So, with the latest addition of wordwrapping I need a visual clue for wether a line is a new notification or the continuation of a wrapped one. I'd like to hear your opinions on the folloing suggestions:

version 1:
separator1

version 2:
separator2

version 3:
separator3

I've you have some other ideas, I'd like to hear them, too.

Also I've pushed some changes that should fix some issues with the older versions of wordwrapping.

#183 2012-08-19 10:51:29

Unia
Website

^ I like the lines separating the notifications. Perhaps you can make this line configurable, like that I can configure it to display over the full width of the notification, or just below the text as you currently have, and also that I can configure the "thickness" of the line (version 1 and 2)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#184 2012-08-19 11:45:00

Army

I like #1 and #2 most (they are equally good for me), #3 doesn't exactly indicate that this is a new notification.

#185 2012-08-19 14:01:21

chneukirchen

knopwob wrote:
chneukirchen wrote:

I'm not sure this ever worked, but Pidgin messages in UTF-8 are not properly displayed (latin1 mangled instead).

http://www.knopwob.org/public/dunst_i18ln.png

I haven't encountered broken characters from any application yet. Are you using a xft font and if not, does it work when you try an xft font?
I'm using

font = UbuntuMono-10

I used

dunst -geometry 0x5-5+15 -fn 10x20 -format "%s: %b" \
  -nb '#333' -nf '#eee' -lb '#333' -lf '#777' -cb '#333' -cf '#f02' &

It works with XFT fonts (such as Sans-10). Gonna use "Fixed:pixelsize=20:foundry=Misc" instead, thanks!

#186 2012-08-19 14:42:59

ninian
Website

I'd agree with Army and Unia that having a line is better than none (#3). #2 would do me fine, but Unia's thoughts about the width and thickness of the separator being possibly configurable sound sensible if it didn't entail too much work.

#187 2012-08-19 15:15:48

ZekeSulastin

If I had to pick and "configurable" wasn't an option, I'd probably go with 2; having a separator of any sort would be preferable to none big_smile

(Just started using this \o/ I might have missed it when I switched to -git, but is there a way to have wordwrap AND the width-of-text geometry, such that the notification width matches the text width until it wraps at a certain threshold?)

Last edited by ZekeSulastin (2012-08-19 15:22:45)

#188 2012-08-19 19:23:40

knopwob
Website

I don't really mind making the separator configurable. Should be done at some point during this week.

ZekeSulastin wrote:

(Just started using this \o/ I might have missed it when I switched to -git, but is there a way to have wordwrap AND the width-of-text geometry, such that the notification width matches the text width until it wraps at a certain threshold?)

No, currently not. I'll add an issue for that on the bugtracker. One problem is, that I don't see a way to put this configuration into the geometry option without changing it's format.

#189 2012-08-19 19:28:29

JokerBoy

Hello knopwob. Since I updated dunst-git today, it's seems that my notifications are displayed vertically without any text. I tried to revert to an old commit, but the same thing. Do you have any suggestions for my problem? smile

Here's a screenshot also: http://ompldr.org/vZjV0dQ

#190 2012-08-19 19:44:31

knopwob
Website

JokerBoy wrote:

Hello knopwob. Since I updated dunst-git today, it's seems that my notifications are displayed vertically without any text. I tried to revert to an old commit, but the same thing. Do you have any suggestions for my problem? smile

Here's a screenshot also: http://ompldr.org/vZjV0dQ

The Blue line on the left is the notfication? If you're configuration didn't change between now and when it worked, then I don't really know what's going on.

Did you revert to a commit that you know works, or did you just pick a random one? If the latter and you don't know which commit was working, you could try the stable package.

#191 2012-08-19 20:12:44

JokerBoy

I tried the stable package and it works ok. I'll look into it tomorrow and report any issue with -git. Thanks.

#192 2012-08-19 20:17:52

Sirsurthur

Just for information, I get the same issue as JokerBoy with latest git version.

#193 2012-08-19 20:36:25

knopwob
Website

JokerBoy wrote:

I tried the stable package and it works ok. I'll look into it tomorrow and report any issue with -git. Thanks.

Sirsurthur wrote:

Just for information, I get the same issue as JokerBoy with latest git version.

Can both of you please post your config (and cmdline, if there's anything)?

#194 2012-08-19 20:53:09

JokerBoy

default config.h from config.def.h, without any dunstrc, and without using any flags to cmdline.

#195 2012-08-19 23:22:04

zeltak

WOW knopwob

Just discovered dusnt and my prayers have been answered ;-) i have been waiting for something like this forever (i should really check the arch forums more often..lol).

Thank you so much for your amazing work!

i just have a quick question/request now (more to follow im sure smile), Is there a way to make dunst play nice with volume changes? currently it shoes volume changes really nice but they get stacked up quickly and you are only left with the few earliest volume values, can we have the latest notifications come on top or perhaps a progress line?

thx alot again!

Z.

#196 2012-08-19 23:31:22

knopwob
Website

zeltak wrote:

i just have a quick question/request now (more to follow im sure smile), Is there a way to make dunst play nice with volume changes? currently it shoes volume changes really nice but they get stacked up quickly and you are only left with the few earliest volume values, can we have the latest notifications come on top or perhaps a progress line?

What do you use to change your volume? A program sending notifications can say that notification foo replaces notification bar (that's part of the protocoll and not dunst specific). BUT if this works correctly with other notification-daemons than there might be a problem on dunst's side that I would have to look into.

#197 2012-08-19 23:50:38

knopwob
Website

@JokerBoy and @Sirsurthur:

The problem should be fixed. It was a result of two problems. First I introduced the option "word_wrap", but ignored it roll  so it tries to wordwrap even though it is disabled, and secondly, before wrapping, I didn't check if the width == 0, so it splitted on every letter.

#198 2012-08-20 06:14:03

Sirsurthur

Thanks knopwob ; your modifs make it work again !

#199 2012-08-21 21:08:10

zeltak

hi again knopwob

i was wondering if there was a way to get stacked notifications? one could define how many notification would stack up until the  "Show how many messages are currently hidden" kicks into actions. currently as i understand we can only stack notifications if they are from different urgency type?

thx again for dunst its def one of my fav apps of all time

best

Z

#200 2012-08-22 03:28:17

knopwob
Website

zeltak wrote:

i was wondering if there was a way to get stacked notifications? one could define how many notification would stack up until the  "Show how many messages are currently hidden" kicks into actions. currently as i understand we can only stack notifications if they are from different urgency type?

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean. Here's how the situation currently is. With the geometry parameter you can define a height, which is interpreted as the number of notifications that can get displayed simultaniously (It was the number of lines, but now with wordwrapping this isn't true anymore). If this height is reached, the "(x more)" message is displayed (if the option "indicate_hidden" is set).
Notifications get sorted by urgency (and timestamp), so the most urgent notifications will be displayed at the top. But a new notification can not push a displayed notification into the hidden area.

So let's say you have a height set to 3 and there are 3 "normal" notifications being displayed and now there comes an urgent notification. This urgent notification will not get displayed until one of the old three will be removed by timeout or the user. The reasoning behind is that it could get confusing because you can't tell if a notification was pushed back and reappeared or if it had been two different notifications with the same text.

If this is not the behaviour you meant, could you please rephrase your question, thank you.

Board footer