You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-20 06:53:40

TuxLyn

[RESOLVED] xorg-server not found

Hey guys, I have this weird error when trying to install x server

command used:
pacman -S xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-server-utils

error: target not found: xorg server

I'm using leaseweb mirror which is synced according to arch status page and yes every is properly un-commended. This is the first time I've encountered this error.

Any one have any clue what's going on ?

SOLUTION: There is no solution, it looks like mirrors was out of sync. So I simply tried next day and it worked flawlessly smile

Last edited by TuxLyn (2012-08-20 22:28:45)

::: Using Arch Linux Since October 25, 2011 :::
::: Tutorials: http://distrogeeks.com/ :::

#2 2012-08-20 07:27:02

andmars

Re: [RESOLVED] xorg-server not found

and have you tried a different mirror yet?

#3 2012-08-20 07:29:51

TuxLyn

Of course I did, otherwise I would not ask here ;-)

#4 2012-08-20 12:20:11

Modeler

TuxLyn wrote:

error: target not found: xorg server

Could it be a simple typo? "xorg server" is not "xorg-server".

Failing that try installing the packages individually, i.e. "pacman -Sy xorg-server". There isn't a lot that can go wrong if you have a good internet connection and "pacman -Syy" works.

Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster"

#5 2012-08-20 12:44:37

karol
Archivist

Modeler wrote:

try installing the packages individually, i.e. "pacman -Sy xorg-server". There isn't a lot that can go wrong if you have a good internet connection and "pacman -Syy" works.

As a general rule, don't use 'pacman -Sy foo - use 'pacman -S foo' or 'pacman -Syu foo'. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=89328

@TuxLyn
Please post your pacman.conf, your mirrorlist etc.

#6 2012-08-20 18:13:57

nomorewindows

@Modeler, what's with the Commodore-Arch symbol?  Are you using Arch on a Commodore?  Nice parody symbol though.

I would try pacman -Ss xorg-server or just pacman -Ss xorg to see what comes up, you may need to add '| less' to it.  See why it doesn't like xorg-server even though it likes xorg-xinit and xorg-server-utils.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#7 2012-08-20 22:27:45

TuxLyn

Alright guys it worked today. This is weird because on the website it said that mirror is synced but it looks like it was not. Because this is the only explanation I could think off. It all works good today. Thank you for the reply's. Subject CLOSED.

#8 2012-08-21 09:44:01

Modeler

karol wrote:

As a general rule, don't use 'pacman -Sy foo - use 'pacman -S foo' or 'pacman -Syu foo'. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=89328

Hmm, that's a good point. I do this because I frequently add individual packages and often find that the version cached is not current, and I don't want to upgrade the entire OS at the same time. This is really bad practice and not the Arch way [slaps self].

nomorewindows wrote:

@Modeler, what's with the Commodore-Arch symbol?  Are you using Arch on a Commodore?  Nice parody symbol though.

It's only symbolic; if there were Commodore hardware available that would run Arch well, I'd be so there. I don't count these things – overpriced netbook hardware with none of the convenience and I think they messed up with the keyboard.

Basically I love Commodore and I love Arch, both have the most awesome logos so I thought it would be fun to merge them smile

Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster"

#9 2012-08-22 14:52:16

nomorewindows

Modeler wrote:

Basically I love Commodore and I love Arch, both have the most awesome logos so I thought it would be fun to merge them smile

You must've really photoshopped the heck out of the 'C' to get the arch in there!

Last edited by nomorewindows (2012-08-22 14:56:51)

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer