You are not logged in.

#201 2012-08-22 12:31:57

zeltak
Member
From: New England
Registered: 2010-08-07
Posts: 165

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

thx knopwob

thats exactly what i wanted. im sorry i didnt notice that the hight is interpreted as the number of notifications,  i thought it was the hight for each single notification. a few more small question if you dont mind:

1) has the line wrapping beem implemented yet
2)does dunst support icons (there is a  "%I  iconname (without its path)" in the config but im unclear regarding to what that means. if it does support icons are these simple xpm/xbm or also png's etc?

thx alot again, i trully appriciate your hard work!

best

Z

Offline

#202 2012-08-22 13:45:04

knopwob
Member
From: Hannover, Germany
Registered: 2010-01-30
Posts: 237
Website

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

zeltak wrote:

thx knopwob

thats exactly what i wanted. im sorry i didnt notice that the hight is interpreted as the number of notifications,  i thought it was the hight for each single notification. a few more small question if you dont mind:

1) has the line wrapping beem implemented yet

Partially yes. You have to set a width (this one is measured in pixels) via the geometry option and you have to set

[global]
    word_wrap = yes

in your dunstrc. The wrapping works, but there isn't a separator between notifications yet. So it might get confusing wether a line is a new notification or the continuation of the line before. Btw. I think I haven't mentioned this before: you can put '\n' into the format option to do a manual linebreak. I'm using this for example:

[global]
    format = "%s\n%b

So I have the summary on one line and the body (if any) on the next line.

zeltak wrote:

2)does dunst support icons (there is a  "%I  iconname (without its path)" in the config but im unclear regarding to what that means. if it does support icons are these simple xpm/xbm or also png's etc?

No it doesn't support icons. I just added the possibility to add the icon path/name to the format option, because I have the information anyway so it wasn't any extra work to add this. I haven't decided yet wether there will ever be icon support. It mainly depends on

  • how much work it would be

  • how good it can be integraded (in terms of code and visual appearance)

  • how many or what kind of dependencies it would add

  • my motivation (in other words how annoying you people get by constantly requesting it tongue )

If someone is interested in writing a patch, just some notes to consider:

  • It has not to be perfect. I don't mind doing some fixups, multiple reviews etc. But it shouldn't be a complete mess either.

  • If you're unsure if I would accept a new dependency, ask me beforehand. You would feel bad because you did your work for nothing and I would feel bad because I had to discard your effort. (Definetly no gtk and no qt!)

  • If you have any questions feel free to ask me here, on the github issue tracker or in private via email. I'll try to respond as fast as possible (but it might take a day or two, depending on my real life)

  • The icons should be optional

  • I think I should put some of these points into a HACKING file *note to myself*

zeltak wrote:

thx alot again, i trully appriciate your hard work!

I'm glad you like it

Offline

#203 2012-08-22 17:08:58

punkeroso
Member
From: Rome, Italy
Registered: 2007-01-19
Posts: 104

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

Hi,
I really would like to use this software, but I can't get it to work!
I always get this:

[punkeroso@vaio ~]$ dunst -config dunstrc
X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
  Major opcode of failed request:  28 (X_GrabButton)
  Serial number of failed request:  261
  Current serial number in output stream:  262

I'm using compiz standalone and I've commented out all the keybindings in the default dunstrc.
How could I know what key is conflicting,  if any?
Many thanks!

Offline

#204 2012-08-22 17:24:28

Rasi
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2007-08-14
Posts: 1,862
Website

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

question: why is dunst automatically started, whenever i run a notfication with notify-send?

its definately nowhere in my autostart.


He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

Offline

#205 2012-08-22 18:12:58

knopwob
Member
From: Hannover, Germany
Registered: 2010-01-30
Posts: 237
Website

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

Rasi wrote:

question: why is dunst automatically started, whenever i run a notfication with notify-send?

its definately nowhere in my autostart.

Because dunst provides a *.service file, that tells dbus that dunst provides the org.freedesktop.Notifications interface and therefore dbus starts dunst. It's the same way how notify-osd and would others get started by dbus when there's no notification-daemon running.

Offline

#206 2012-08-22 18:15:50

knopwob
Member
From: Hannover, Germany
Registered: 2010-01-30
Posts: 237
Website

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

punkeroso wrote:

Hi,
I really would like to use this software, but I can't get it to work!
I always get this:

[punkeroso@vaio ~]$ dunst -config dunstrc
X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
  Major opcode of failed request:  28 (X_GrabButton)
  Serial number of failed request:  261
  Current serial number in output stream:  262

I'm using compiz standalone and I've commented out all the keybindings in the default dunstrc.
How could I know what key is conflicting,  if any?
Many thanks!

It looks like it's not a key but a mousebutton (otherwise it would say X_GrabKey instead of X_GrabButton), and dunst should handle a conflicting keybinding more gracefully by displaying an error message and continue running. But I've not thought about the fact, that a mousebutton could also conflict. I'll make dunst handle this error more gracefully as well.

Offline

#207 2012-08-22 18:30:27

knopwob
Member
From: Hannover, Germany
Registered: 2010-01-30
Posts: 237
Website

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

knopwob wrote:
punkeroso wrote:

Hi,
I really would like to use this software, but I can't get it to work!
I always get this:

[punkeroso@vaio ~]$ dunst -config dunstrc
X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
  Major opcode of failed request:  28 (X_GrabButton)
  Serial number of failed request:  261
  Current serial number in output stream:  262

I'm using compiz standalone and I've commented out all the keybindings in the default dunstrc.
How could I know what key is conflicting,  if any?
Many thanks!

It looks like it's not a key but a mousebutton (otherwise it would say X_GrabKey instead of X_GrabButton), and dunst should handle a conflicting keybinding more gracefully by displaying an error message and continue running. But I've not thought about the fact, that a mousebutton could also conflict. I'll make dunst handle this error more gracefully as well.

Okay, I've added an error handler to XGrabButton. So if I understand your situation correctly you should now be able to run dunst, but it will print an error message, that it is unable to grab the mousebuttons. But it should continue to run, even though the mouse buttons won't work.

Please update and let me know if the situation improved.

Offline

#208 2012-08-22 19:17:29

zeltak
Member
From: New England
Registered: 2010-08-07
Posts: 165

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

thx  knopwob

this code in my rc

knopwob wrote:

    format = "%s\n%b


seems to just put a \n in the notification instead of actually breaking the line, im probably doing somethig wrong right?

best

Z

Offline

#209 2012-08-22 19:22:59

knopwob
Member
From: Hannover, Germany
Registered: 2010-01-30
Posts: 237
Website

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

zeltak wrote:

thx  knopwob

this code in my rc

knopwob wrote:

    format = "%s\n%b


seems to just put a \n in the notification instead of actually breaking the line, im probably doing somethig wrong right?

best

Z

I'm guessing the missing quotation mark is just a copy&paste error. But even with that error it works here. Could you please post your complete dunstrc?

Offline

#210 2012-08-22 19:52:34

zeltak
Member
From: New England
Registered: 2010-08-07
Posts: 165

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

sure:

here is the rc file:

http://paste.xinu.at/bH0/

thx

Z

Last edited by zeltak (2012-08-22 19:53:54)

Offline

#211 2012-08-22 20:15:38

knopwob
Member
From: Hannover, Germany
Registered: 2010-01-30
Posts: 237
Website

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

zeltak wrote:

sure:

here is the rc file:

http://paste.xinu.at/bH0/

thx

Z

Aah, you have the width set to 0 in the geometry. Wich means that the window is as long as the longest notification and wordwrap is disabled. But this means also that the code that checks for "\n" is skipped, which is of course an error on my side.  I'll should be able to push a fix soon.

Offline

#212 2012-08-22 20:20:03

zeltak
Member
From: New England
Registered: 2010-08-07
Posts: 165

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

great

thx for checking it out

best

Z

Last edited by zeltak (2012-08-22 20:20:20)

Offline

#213 2012-08-22 20:36:56

knopwob
Member
From: Hannover, Germany
Registered: 2010-01-30
Posts: 237
Website

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

should hopefully be fixed, so please update.

Offline

#214 2012-08-22 21:21:21

zeltak
Member
From: New England
Registered: 2010-08-07
Posts: 165

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

Thx knopwob

the new update does fix the /n issue it works well now but i seem to have a new issue (maybe its just me not getting it again smile)

if i leave the width at '0' then now the notifications are cut after a few character. if i change the width to '5' or '11' i get a long veritcal line:

http://www.enlightenment.org/ss/e-50354 … 870884.jpg

what am i doing wrong?

here is my current config

thx again

z.

Offline

#215 2012-08-22 21:46:12

knopwob
Member
From: Hannover, Germany
Registered: 2010-01-30
Posts: 237
Website

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

zeltak wrote:

Thx knopwob

the new update does fix the /n issue it works well now but i seem to have a new issue (maybe its just me not getting it again smile)

if i leave the width at '0' then now the notifications are cut after a few character. if i change the width to '5' or '11' i get a long veritcal line:

http://www.enlightenment.org/ss/e-50354 … 870884.jpg

what am i doing wrong?

here is my current config

thx again

z.


I think you forgot the link to your config wink

The width is measured in pixels, so what you are seeing is that it word_wraps on every letter. A width somewhere between 300 and 800 (depending on your screen resolution and and font size) would be more apropriate wink

At the moment I can't tell you what's going on when you set the width to 0 since I can't reproduce it here. Maybe I can tell you more when you post your config file.
I can reproduce it now. Seems I've introduced a new bug with the fix a few hours ago sad I'm looking into that

Last edited by knopwob (2012-08-22 21:51:25)

Offline

#216 2012-08-22 22:13:37

knopwob
Member
From: Hannover, Germany
Registered: 2010-01-30
Posts: 237
Website

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

knopwob wrote:

I can reproduce it now. Seems I've introduced a new bug with the fix a few hours ago sad I'm looking into that

Yes, it was again a bug. You seem to be got at triggering them wink
And just to let you know: It's pretty late here so I'll be going to bed soon. I hope that was the last bug you trigger for today tongue

Offline

#217 2012-08-22 23:57:31

punkeroso
Member
From: Rome, Italy
Registered: 2007-01-19
Posts: 104

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

knopwob wrote:

Okay, I've added an error handler to XGrabButton. So if I understand your situation correctly you should now be able to run dunst, but it will print an error message, that it is unable to grab the mousebuttons. But it should continue to run, even though the mouse buttons won't work.

Please update and let me know if the situation improved.

Many thanks, now it's working also if I get

BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
Unable to grab mouse button(s)

at every sent message.
I'll try to go deep in this, but I think it's something related to compiz and some strange mouse binding.
Thanks again, now it's time to update all my scripts to make them using dunst!

Offline

#218 2012-08-23 00:32:00

zeltak
Member
From: New England
Registered: 2010-08-07
Posts: 165

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

knopwob wrote:

You seem to be got at triggering them wink


lol....im glad i have some kind of talent in the floss community since i cant code  ;-)

the wrap is fixed now smile

i think there is actually another bug but i wont bother you with it now. ill investiagte and report tomorrow

thx alot again

Z.

Last edited by zeltak (2012-08-23 00:33:16)

Offline

#219 2012-08-23 18:44:31

knopwob
Member
From: Hannover, Germany
Registered: 2010-01-30
Posts: 237
Website

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

zeltak wrote:

i think there is actually another bug but i wont bother you with it now. ill investiagte and report tomorrow

Just say it, I can't fix a bug that I don't know wink

Offline

#220 2012-08-23 20:42:14

zeltak
Member
From: New England
Registered: 2010-08-07
Posts: 165

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

hehe ok you aksed for it...

so it seems like now when i set the windows to a user defined length (see config pastesd) i can get the items to stach one atop each other and i get a wierd black box beneath the actual notification. i have made a video (see below link) to present how it looks
let me know if more information is needed, thx alot again

Z



config:

http://paste.xinu.at/K3pPh/

video:

http://paste.xinu.at/NKiu9/

Offline

#221 2012-08-23 21:04:49

knopwob
Member
From: Hannover, Germany
Registered: 2010-01-30
Posts: 237
Website

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

zeltak wrote:

hehe ok you aksed for it...

so it seems like now when i set the windows to a user defined length (see config pastesd) i can get the items to stach one atop each other and i get a wierd black box beneath the actual notification. i have made a video (see below link) to present how it looks
let me know if more information is needed, thx alot again

Aah, you've triggered a known bug that I haven't tracked down yet. The problem is, that you set the height in the geometry too high. Unlike the width and the position, the height is the number of notifications that can get displayed at the same time. I know this can get confusing, but otherwise you would have to make sure that the height in pixels is a multiple of the font height. And this bug gets triggered, if the height( as notifications, not pixels) multiplied by the font height is greater than the display height.

So a workaround should be to set the height to something small, like 5. At least I hope that's the problem wink

Offline

#222 2012-08-23 21:21:43

zeltak
Member
From: New England
Registered: 2010-08-07
Posts: 165

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

thx knopwob!

so setting the height to 5 does indeed solve the black border issue, but now i cant get them to 'stack' up since the height is low (only 5) right? so i can only view 1 notification at a time. is there a workaround for this?

thx again

btw this may be a completely stupid idea but have you considered also audio notifications along side the visual? i understand if you find this unnecessary ,just a thought smile

best

Offline

#223 2012-08-23 21:39:17

knopwob
Member
From: Hannover, Germany
Registered: 2010-01-30
Posts: 237
Website

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

zeltak wrote:

thx knopwob!

so setting the height to 5 does indeed solve the black border issue, but now i cant get them to 'stack' up since the height is low (only 5) right? so i can only view 1 notification at a time. is there a workaround for this?

Normally it should display 5 notifications. Are you by any chance testing this with sending multiple times the same text? because dunst merges notifications that have the same text into one and displayes a counter next to the notification.

zeltak wrote:

btw this may be a completely stupid idea but have you considered also audio notifications along side the visual? i understand if you find this unnecessary ,just a thought smile

best

There's a feature request to specify a program that can be run on certain notifications. If that gets implemented you could use that in combination with mplayer.
Another use case for this feature would be the possibility to put the notification trough a text-to-speech program.

But that's not yet implemented

Offline

#224 2012-08-24 01:20:56

zeltak
Member
From: New England
Registered: 2010-08-07
Posts: 165

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

hya

yep that was the issue (same notification), work brilliantly now!

thx for the info on the extra command thing, sounds cool.

thx again knopwob

z.

Offline

#225 2012-08-27 13:47:20

punkeroso
Member
From: Rome, Italy
Registered: 2007-01-19
Posts: 104

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

Is there a way to have, for instance, the summary style in bold?
We could have some tag to put in the format line, for example "<b>%s</b> %b"

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB