You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-22 13:35:21

elahav

Missing kernel headers

It seems that the media directory is missing from the kernel's PKGBUILD file. Thus I am unable to compile drivers depending on tuner.h.

I believe that the section

for i in acpi asm-generic asm-i386 config linux math-emu net pcmcia scsi video; do
    cp -a include/$i $startdir/pkg/usr/src/linux-${_kernrel}/include/
  done

should be changed to

for i in acpi asm-generic asm-i386 config linux math-emu media net pcmcia scsi video; do
    cp -a include/$i $startdir/pkg/usr/src/linux-${_kernrel}/include/
  done

Am I right?

Elad

#2 2005-09-22 17:48:39

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Missing kernel headers

the devs don't read the forums, please post this in the bug tracker (see the button at the top right)

thanks!

#3 2005-09-26 18:35:09

elahav

Thanks. I took a look at the bug database. There is a similar report there (though refering to only one file in the media directory) which has been lying around since early July. It's a shame that such a minor fix did not make it into the new kernel packages.

Is there a way to "bump up" the bug report, so that the developer is made aware of its importance? I have added a note, but I'm not sure that will be enough.

#4 2005-09-26 19:39:02

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

elahav wrote:

Thanks. I took a look at the bug database. There is a similar report there (though refering to only one file in the media directory) which has been lying around since early July. It's a shame that such a minor fix did not make it into the new kernel packages.

Is there a way to "bump up" the bug report, so that the developer is made aware of its importance? I have added a note, but I'm not sure that will be enough.

Well, calling it "a shame" when only one user requested it is kind of selfish - admittedly it's only a small fix, but maybe they didn't have time for it, or would have had to sacrifice other fixes to read and implement this one... I'm not really sure.

However, this fix *may* be in testing.  If it is, testing is being held up by a couple of things right now (libtool-slay, gcc4, etc), so it may take a bit.

#5 2005-09-26 21:53:15

elahav

No, it's not in testing. I checked that before I first posted to this forum.

Well, calling it "a shame" when only one user requested it is kind of selfish

The fact that only one user has opened the bug report, does not mean that the bug does not affect other people as well. Basically, this bug prevents you from compiling any driver that uses the media headers, which, I would say, is somewhat of a problem.

#6 2005-09-26 22:36:51

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

elahav wrote:

The fact that only one user has opened the bug report, does not mean that the bug does not affect other people as well. Basically, this bug prevents you from compiling any driver that uses the media headers, which, I would say, is somewhat of a problem.

Actually - that's exactly what it means - if 1/3000 people complain about something, obviously the other 2999 don't have the issue or don't care.

I'm not saying it's not a bug or anything, but even if this were my issue, and I was the only one who cared, I'd still rather them get some other stuff done than this problem.

Regardless, it's a very easy fix.  If you can, maybe email Judd about it and just say "can you add it for the next kernel release".  /me shrugs

Board footer