You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-23 23:42:42

gverilla

Screen "wraped around" the right edge!

Hi,
I set up a dual screen setup with my Radeon HD6970 (xf86-video-ati as the driver). For the screen setup I put the xrandr command in my .xinitrc!

xrandr --output DVI-0 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output DVI-1 --mode 1680x1050 --pos 1920x0 --rotate normal

My second screen(DVI-1) is an Avalon 225WT(the company is rather obscure, can't even find their website or anything about them, so don't know the specs ...)
It is natively connected through VGA, so I connected it to the DVI-port through a VGA-to-DVI-adapter.
The problem:
The image on this screen is distorted! The 3 topmost rows of the screen are aligned, the rest is shifted far to the right and wraps around (simplified it looks like this: 234567#01, where the numbers are the pixels from left to right and # is an about 60-px wide black column)
Also, I would've attached a screenshot, but in it, everything looks fine. scrot seems not to see this problem...

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by gverilla (2012-08-24 13:50:35)

#2 2012-08-24 18:42:48

Cyrusm

Re: Screen "wraped around" the right edge!

first of all, the --rotate normal flags probably aren't necessary, but they won't hurt anything.

For my monitors, I had to specify the primary monitor as follows

xrandr --output DVI-0 --primary --auto --pos0x0 --output VGA-0 --auto --right-of DVI-0

maybe something similar will work for you.

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#3 2012-08-24 19:36:05

alphaniner

This sounds to me like a monitor alignment [via monitor's internal configuration] issue, though I have rarely seen it happen with LCDs.  Have you tried configuring the second screen with the same rez in a single screen configuration?

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#4 2012-08-25 16:26:52

gverilla

I looked into both of your approaches, but I can positively rule out xrandr as the source of the problem.
First I tried Cyrusm's approach by trying to set several different settings with xrandr (--auto, fixed positions, even rotation). I used scrot to see, what X thinks im seeing, and everytime it looked alright to me. So I don't think the problem is in the configuration.
Also I noticed, that the monitor already wraps in the tty-console (with the highest resolutions already loaded), but not in the GRUB-menu (where both monitors still have the same lower resolution).
I tried, what aphaniner sugested and repluged the monitor (it only works in DVI-1, it's designated for VGA-compatibility, DVI-0 didn't work for the monitor...)
As a single-screen there where no problems with the monitor, even in the highest resolution.
The problem seems to appear, whenever I plug the other monitor in and the dual-screen mode starts.
Why can't both screens be handled seperatly? Is there any way to set the monitor properly?

Board footer