You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-25 04:10:12

Xitup

Setting up haskell

I am a new Arch user, and I'm trying to setup a haskell dev environment, but I'm running into a few problems.  In most other distributions I would install the latest haskell platform, but I can't seem to find it.  I see ghc as well as a few other haskell packages, but not the platform meta-package.  According to the wiki, this should be in [extra] but I can't find it there.  Perhaps the wiki is out-of-date?  The only thing I see is an orphaned package in the AUR that people are having difficulty installing.  Surely this can't be what I'm after, can it?

I tried to educate myself by reading from the Arch Haskell resources, but they are not very newbie friendly.  I added the [haskell] repo, but still can't find a haskell-platform package (2012.2.0.0, or any version for that matter) anywhere.  Are there instructions anywhere for setting up the haskell platform on Arch?

Last edited by Xitup (2012-08-26 00:46:40)

#2 2012-08-25 21:06:14

Duma

Re: Setting up haskell

Simply install the packages corresponding to the Haskell Platform components.
Those would be: ghc, cabal-install, haddock, happy, alex.

Components like GHCi are included in ghc anyway.

So I guess "pacman -S ghc cabal-install haddock happy alex" is sort of equivalent to installing the Haskell Platform.

#3 2012-08-25 22:58:20

Xitup

Alright, thanks Duma, it seems easy enough.  Is the platform package deprecated?  I take it then that there is no way to install/run the platform versions (in an overlay perhaps), and that only the latest hackage versions are available.  That should work fine for me, but I'm just curious as some packages have hard version requirements.

It would be nice to have this documented somewhere.  Arch documentation and wiki's are usually top-notch, but for some reason the Haskell info is very hard to come by.  The wikis are all woefully out-of-date, the IRC channel is a ghost town, and there seems to be some kind of spat going on between the Arch devs and the Arch Haskell team.  It has made for an awkward experience thus far.

#4 2012-08-25 23:27:37

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Why not add this information to the Wikis, Xitup? You are free to do so at any time... wink

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#5 2012-08-26 00:45:02

Xitup

I tried installing other packages that compromise the haskell-platform but I'm running into problems.

pacman -S haskell-cgi
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: haddock: requires haskell-xhtml=3000.2.1-1
:: xmonad: requires haskell-mtl=2.1.1-1

I'm confused by your suggestion bernarcher.  It is precisely because I don't know the information that I went to the wiki in the first place.  I would gladly update it if I knew any of the answers myself.  Is it just a clever way of you telling me to figure it out for myself?  Certainly once I am more comfortable (and knowledgeable) I will do my best to contribute, but for now it would just be the blind leading the blind.  I was hoping to appeal to the people who already know what's going on to enlighten me.

#6 2012-08-26 01:04:39

anonymous_user

Some of the packages from the haskell repo (such as haskell-xhtml and haskell-mtl) are newer than those in the standard Arch repositories. However, it seems haskell-cgi is asking for the versions from the Arch repositories:

http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra … skell-mtl/
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/commu … ell-xhtml/

I think placing the haskell repo below (instead of above) the extra and community repos would resolve your issue. However I do not know if thats the best way.

#7 2012-08-26 17:31:15

Xitup

Well it turns out that I had the opposite issue.  The [haskell] repository was already at the bottom of my pacman.conf, so first I tried commenting it out.  It turns out the official repos don't even have haskell-cgi, which is part of the the haskell platform.  It seems that the haskell platform is no longer officially supported.  So I turned back to the haskell repo by uncommented it and moving it above [core] and [extra] to give it priority.  Now pacman complains that some of its packages are older that the official ones that I have installed.  I thought that the [haskell] repo complemented [core] and [extra] by providing packages no longer supported (why is haskell support being dropped anyway?), but in fact it seems to want to replace it with its own versions of haskell packages.  I'll try to uninstall all haskell packages and reinstall using the [haskell] repo, and see where that gets me.

#8 2012-08-28 14:58:05

Duma

I actually think you can install "haskell-cgi" through cabal. There is a package called simply "cgi", but I guess it refers to the same thing.

Also "happy", "alex", QuickCheck etc. are all available through cabal. You can keep them updated through "cabal update".

I guess this is the way to go. Install only ghc and cabal-install, then everything else through cabal. Hope that helps.

#9 2012-08-28 19:44:13

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

My suggestion:
Install ghc and cabal using pacman, install everything else using cabal.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#10 2012-08-30 20:12:02

Duma

Mr.Elendig wrote:

My suggestion:
Install ghc and cabal using pacman, install everything else using cabal.

Concise and corect.

#11 2018-09-08 12:20:37

psbakre

Download haskell-platform from the site haskell.org

extract the tar.gz file
open the terminal in that directory and install by typing

./install-haskell-platform.sh

It will install.
If it fails then it will show the error that shared library file
libtinfo.so.5 does not exist

(It has been upgraded to libtinfo.so.6)
Login as root and  create a symbolic link in the /lib folder from libtinfo.so.6 to libtinfo.so.5

ln -s /lib/libtinfo.so.6 /lib/libtinfo.so.5

exit root and try the install command again. It should do the job

I know that the question is old but since the issue was still present , it was better to provide a solution

Last edited by psbakre (2018-09-08 12:23:42)

#12 2018-09-08 13:06:21

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#13 2018-09-08 14:30:37

ewaller
Administrator

psbakre, Welcome to the Arch Linux forums.  Thank you for contributing, but I am going to point out that suggestion is, *er*, technically unsound.  It might work in a pinch, but is almost guaranteed to cause breakage then next time the system is updated.  For a rolling release, that is a house of cards.

Anyway, I am going to go ahead and close this old thread.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer