You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-26 19:56:31

DrKillPatient

Blank display when exiting X, using NVidia blob

I'm using the proprietary NVidia drivers for my Macbook's 9400M graphics card, and while X can start, it seems to have trouble quitting. I can startx normally, but if I kill X or quit my window manager, the screen will go entirely blank. The system is not actually frozen, because if I issue a "reboot" command while in X, the screen will blank for just a moment (as opposed to showing the console, which it usually does) before rebooting normally. I've also tried to startx from the console, quit the WM, and blindly type "sudo reboot" and my password, after which the computer still reboots. If I blindly type "startx", the display will show whatever's in X as it would normally, but once again blanks when I return to the console. Xorg.0.log says that the server terminated normally.

It seems to me that the console is still present and working, but not doing anything. What can I do to restore its normal behavior while keeping the NVidia binary blob?

EDIT: I might not have been clear on what happens when I first start the computer. The console appears normally before X starts, but it only breaks after X has been started at least once.

Last edited by DrKillPatient (2012-08-26 20:00:35)

Board footer