You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-26 18:05:26

CanisMajorWuff

Device 'UUID=...' not found

I have ASUS G75VW. Its SATA controller support RAID mode. I configured RAID0 with two hard drivers. I installed a basic arch system how I always do that (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide).
My array is /dev/md126. And I have the following partitioning on it ( I used sgdisk ):

1 /dev/md126p1 EF02
2 /dev/md126p2 8200          swap
3 /dev/md126p3 8300          /
4 /dev/md126p4 8300          /tmp
5 /dev/md126p5 8300          /var
6 /dev/md126p6 8300          /home

I installed grub-bios from pacman and executed this command:
     grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/md126
It was finished successfully. Also I disabled UEFI boot in BIOS
After reboot I saw a usual grub menu. I selected "ArchLinux kerner...."
After a few seconds I got "ERROR: Device 'UUID=...' not found"
I entered to my system through Arch installer iso and checked this UUID with 'blkid' this was my root partition id.
I don't know what is the problem.
Could you suggest me something?

#2 2012-08-26 19:58:07

Nrezinorn

Re: Device 'UUID=...' not found

I had the same UUID error on a fresh install just now.  For some reason grub was being stupid, or I did something out of order.  I fixed it by simply reinstalling the linux kernel via pacman and re-executing `mkinitcpio -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg`

Although your errors sounds more like you need to add the md drivers to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.  I'd start there if what worked for me doesn't help you.

Good luck!

#3 2012-08-26 21:16:48

DSpider

"mkinitcpio -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg" is wrong... You're not rebuilding the initramfs image and you're not re-generating the grub.cfg either. I think you meant "mkinitcpio -p linux".

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … onger_boot

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-08-26 23:55:43

Nrezinorn

DSpider wrote:

"mkinitcpio -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg" is wrong... You're not rebuilding the initramfs image and you're not re-generating the grub.cfg either. I think you meant "mkinitcpio -p linux".

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … onger_boot

ahh yes.  Sorry!  Jumbled all these commands together into some fictional one.  I was razzled @ having to think about stuff during the installation.

Thank you.  Hope this info helps him in the right direction.

#5 2012-08-27 02:50:54

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps you can derive some insight from the method I use to boot raid0.  When installing, skip the bootloader.  Enter mdadm hook in mkinitcpio.conf.

After skip of bootloader, mount the system in chroot.

Include the boot partition in the chroot setup.

Then download grub2-bios, perform.... grub -mkconfig   -o /boot/grub/grub/config.

Then... grub-install  /dev/(boot such as /sda)

run.... mdadm -D --scan >> /etc/mdadm.conf
Then run..... mkinitcpio -p linux
EDIT: mdadm will be referenced in the listing that follows...
Then reboot.

The method uses MBR install and requires free space before the /boot partition to allow for grub2  .

I have several raid0 bootable grub2 single device, paired devices and triple devices .  All were prepared with the same procedure.

None of these boot from USB with grub2 as the bootloader.  This is a common problem in Linux systems.

My devices are CF cards of various capacities and none have failed after two years or more of service.  No swap is provided in my systems just boot and root. 

Good luck with your efforts.

Last edited by lilsirecho (2012-08-27 02:54:24)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#6 2012-08-27 09:54:17

gondsman

Are you using systemd or sysVinit? If you're using systemd, welcome to the party: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/31236#comment98370
Also, in order for the kernel to mount your root partition, you should have the mdadm_udev hook in your mkinitcpio.conf and /sbin/mdmon in your binaries line (same file).

Last edited by gondsman (2012-08-27 09:55:57)

#7 2012-08-28 17:29:02

pjezek

My problem is from the same family. Using latest Arch ISO, Grub(2) is used. This is the second day I have been trying to finnish new installation in vain after systemd freezing failure. My last curing steps in the installation process was: recreating all partitions except of /home on sdb4 (sda hosts Win7 on separate HD). After base installation on clearly formated, properly mounted and then arch-chrooted partitions reboot ended with known grub rescue console with some old UUID. I erased MBR by dd zeroed sectors and reinstalled linux, refreshed mkinitcpio initram and reinstalled grub-bios. All went well until bios-install reporting abortion due to "Path '/boot/grub' is not readableby GRUB on boot." I tried to install grub on ext2 formated separate /boot on sdb1 (when sdb2 is root, sdb4 /home and sdb5 extended /var with reserfs). I underline that grub and all another installed packages are fresh, not outdated. Thanks for your explanation.

Our tomcat for your mice! Archlinux for your comps! Alfa Romeo for your roads! Faster running guaranted!

#8 2012-08-28 19:48:58

gondsman

pjezek wrote:

My problem is from the same family. Using latest Arch ISO, Grub(2) is used. This is the second day I have been trying to finnish new installation in vain after systemd freezing failure. My last curing steps in the installation process was: recreating all partitions except of /home on sdb4 (sda hosts Win7 on separate HD). After base installation on clearly formated, properly mounted and then arch-chrooted partitions reboot ended with known grub rescue console with some old UUID. I erased MBR by dd zeroed sectors and reinstalled linux, refreshed mkinitcpio initram and reinstalled grub-bios. All went well until bios-install reporting abortion due to "Path '/boot/grub' is not readableby GRUB on boot." I tried to install grub on ext2 formated separate /boot on sdb1 (when sdb2 is root, sdb4 /home and sdb5 extended /var with reserfs). I underline that grub and all another installed packages are fresh, not outdated. Thanks for your explanation.

I can't understand how your partitions/disks are organized, can you explain it again?
Anyway, if you're trying to install GRUB2 on a raid array, I can confirm it only works if you manage the array using mdadm, not if you use dmraid (for fakeraid). mdadm does support most of fakeraid chipsets nowadays, so you can use that. Also, you can try syslinux instead of GRUB, which in my experience works brilliantly in a raid setup.

Board footer