You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-10 17:26:29

edmael
Website

System stuck at "::Running early hooks [udev]"

Hi everyone,
I've got a strange problem, but I don't know where it came from.
It's almost two weeks I'm suffering it and I thougt it was related to the kernel I was using (-ck), but today I tried with the stock one and I've got the same problem.
I'm using Grub2 and, right after choosing the entry the system is stuck for almost two minutes. Then it boot.
Removing the "quiet" option I saw it "pause" when on display I've got the message: Running early hooks [udev]

How can I know what's wrong?
Thanks wink

#2 2012-08-20 10:11:38

BertiBoeller

Re: System stuck at "::Running early hooks [udev]"

Damn, no reply to this threat yet. I have exactly the same problem. I have to measure how long the system is stuck at the "::Running early hooks [udev]" but it's definately more than a minute.

#3 2012-08-20 10:28:56

DarkCerberus
Banned

Have you run pacman -Syu and replaced udev with the new systemd-tools - also it may be wise after doing that to run mkinitcpio -p linux and then grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

See the following announcement:

http://www.archlinux.org/news/systemd-t … aces-udev/

Our enemies are your enemies, Nick. Disorder, war. It's just a matter of time before a dirty bomb goes off in Moscow, or an EMP fries Chicago.  ---  Alexander Pierce, Captain America: Winter Soldier
Access Denied! De-cryption failed, override denied all files sealed! --- Triskelion, Shield OS
-----
How to ask questions the smart way

#4 2012-08-20 12:14:14

falconindy
Developer
Website

There's probably a stuck firmware request. You should not be attempting to load modules such as 'microcode' from your initramfs.

#5 2012-08-20 21:51:26

BertiBoeller

I have 'microcode' in my initramfs (the modules loaded via initramfs are the ones listed in mkinitcpio.conf in MODULES= right?). Do you have any idea how to debug and find out the cause of the problem?

#6 2012-08-20 23:06:39

falconindy
Developer
Website

BertiBoeller wrote:

I have 'microcode' in my initramfs (the modules loaded via initramfs are the ones listed in mkinitcpio.conf in MODULES= right?). Do you have any idea how to debug and find out the cause of the problem?

That's my point. Remove it. It doesn't belong there.

Longer explanation: The microcode module is nothing but a firmware loader. Contrary to the design of most other modules which will not request firmware on module initialization, the microcode module intentionally does block and wait for firmware. Recent udev assumes that modules are well behaved (aka not calling request_firmware during module initialization) and will not prematurely cancel firmware requests while in the initramfs. Since you haven't included the matching CPU firmware blob for microcode to load, udev hangs waiting for a firmware request that will never be fulfilled.

#7 2012-08-29 19:14:04

BertiBoeller

Thanks a lot for your recommendation! After removing 'microcode' from my 'mkinitcpio.conf' my system boots fast again.

Board footer