You are not logged in.

#4251 2012-08-27 14:27:06

omeringen
Member
Registered: 2012-05-28
Posts: 109

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Offline

#4252 2012-08-27 23:25:54

technolog
Member
From: Europe / Slovenia / Grosuplje
Registered: 2012-01-28
Posts: 116

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

I am using the legacy fglrx driver (4K series).

Shall I upgrade to the new Xorg to 1.12.4 ?

Last edited by technolog (2012-08-27 23:26:38)

Offline

#4253 2012-08-28 14:56:32

fede1587
Member
Registered: 2012-08-26
Posts: 17

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

fede1587 wrote:

Hi! I'm fede1587 and I'm a new user of Archlinux (but not a new user of Linux). I love it and the KISS philosophy.

Four days ago I intalled the new version of Arch but unfortunately I have a very big problem and after 4 days of work I have not been able to solve it.

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FW41J with a ATI HD4650. I need Ati proprietary drivers, because with the open source ones, the laptop become too hot. After installing the catalyst legacy pakages (234k, catalyst-utils and catalyst-hook) both from AUR and from the repository (following the great guide in ArchWiki) and configuring, when I lanunch startx, sometimes Gnome starts and sometimes I got black screen with horizontal lines.

I'm searching for solutions from 4 days and I read a lot of topic, and I try a lot of things, but nothing!

According to the various threads, I have:
1) Load the module fglrx
2) Blacklist the radeon module
3) Re-run mkinitcpio
4) Run aticonfig --initial
5) Run aticonfig --acpi-services=off
6) Add nomodeset to grub

After I tried to change kernel (thinking about some incompatibilities). I installed linux-lts, and I try with this kernel, but I have the same issue. I also try whit Bridge Linux, but nothing changed.

This is the only output found in my error.log (Xorg.X.log is empty):
Aug 26 02:36:51 localhost kernel: [   13.326922] [fglrx:KCL_MEM_VM_MapRegion] *ERROR* remap_pfn_range failed
Aug 26 02:36:51 localhost kernel: [   13.326932] [fglrx:__create_mapping] *ERROR* Can not get virtual address
Aug 26 02:36:51 localhost kernel: [   13.326935] [fglrx:__mc_heap_map_virtual_space] *ERROR* Failed to map the virtual space
Aug 26 02:36:51 localhost kernel: [   13.326938] [fglrx:mc_heap_map_virtual_space] *ERROR* Can not get virtual address
Aug 26 02:36:51 localhost kernel: [   13.326940] [fglrx:MCIL_GetVirtualAddressInDescriptor] *ERROR* Can not get the virtual address
Aug 26 02:36:55 localhost kernel: [   16.622882] [fglrx:KCL_MEM_VM_MapRegion] *ERROR* remap_pfn_range failed
Aug 26 02:36:55 localhost kernel: [   16.622892] [fglrx:__create_mapping] *ERROR* Can not get virtual address
Aug 26 02:36:55 localhost kernel: [   16.622895] [fglrx:__mc_heap_map_virtual_space] *ERROR* Failed to map the virtual space
Aug 26 02:36:55 localhost kernel: [   16.622898] [fglrx:mc_heap_map_virtual_space] *ERROR* Can not get virtual address
Aug 26 02:36:55 localhost kernel: [   16.622900] [fglrx:MCIL_GetVirtualAddressInDescriptor] *ERROR* Can not get the virtual address
Aug 26 02:36:55 localhost dhcpcd[529]: wlan0: sendmsg: Cannot assign requested address
Aug 26 02:36:56 localhost kernel: [   18.364335] [fglrx:KCL_MEM_VM_MapRegion] *ERROR* remap_pfn_range failed
Aug 26 02:36:56 localhost kernel: [   18.364346] [fglrx:__create_mapping] *ERROR* Can not get virtual address
AuAug 26 02:40:18 localhost /usr/sbin/crond[452]: (CRON) INFO (Syslog will be used instead of sendmail.): File o directory non esistente
Aug 26 02:40:25 localhost dhcpcd[476]: wlan0: sendmsg: Cannot assign requested address

I hope you can help me, because I love this distro but I can't use it with the open source driver of the ATI card (too hot) :-(

Thanks a lot for the help and sorry for my bad english.

No one knows how to help me? Sorry for the emphasis but is really important ... :-(

Moderator warning: fede1587, never do this again!!! Do not cross-post whatsoever! You'll risk a ban otherwise.

Last edited by bernarcher (2012-08-28 15:40:43)

Offline

#4254 2012-08-28 16:40:58

snack
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2009-01-13
Posts: 673

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

@Vi0L0: linux 3.5 appeared in [core]. Does catalyst-daemon from [catalyst-hd234] work with this new kernel? There is no package dependency on linux<3.5 (nor on xorg-server<1.13, BTW) so at next upgrade I'll have a 3.5 kernel and I don't want to end up with a broken system...
Thanks!

Offline

#4255 2012-08-28 16:45:31

Commander
Member
Registered: 2011-02-12
Posts: 37

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Vi0L0 wrote:
Commander wrote:

Seems i got terrible issues with 12.8 After few hours I get EQ errors that get bigger and bigger and in the end time i get segfault and crash to login.....

Can you be more specific? Which hardware, DE, what were you doing, etc

Oh sorry,

GPU: XFX 6970 xxx edition

And well Xorg flipps me off sometimes when i launch a winegame. The computer just freezes sometimes or crashes to login. Rendering issues are also present See the whole log from the EQ errors maybe it will help.

The EQ errrors are like this:
: whole event logs
http://codepad.org/BAq53GDX


one example:

[113120.434] [mi] EQ overflowing.  Additional events will be discarded until existing events are processed.
[113120.434]
[113120.434] Backtrace:
[113120.443] 0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x36) [0x5602d6]
[113120.443] 1: /usr/bin/X (mieqEnqueue+0x26b) [0x54158b]
[113120.443] 2: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x47f92) [0x447f92]
[113120.449] 3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so (0x7f4b31b11000+0x5f74) [0x7f4b31b16f74]
[113120.449] 4: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x6ef97) [0x46ef97]
[113120.449] 5: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x93380) [0x493380]
[113120.449] 6: /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x7f4b465c4000+0xf170) [0x7f4b465d3170]
[113120.449] 7: /lib/libc.so.6 (__libc_fork+0xab) [0x7f4b45507abb]
[113120.449] 8: /usr/bin/X (Popen+0x90) [0x566310]
[113120.449] 9: /usr/bin/X (XkbDDXLoadKeymapByNames+0x1fe) [0x50826e]
[113120.450] 10: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x1130ea) [0x5130ea]
[113120.450] 11: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x34531) [0x434531]
[113120.450] 12: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x23615) [0x423615]
[113120.450] 13: /lib/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xf5) [0x7f4b45473725]
[113120.450] 14: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x238ed) [0x4238ed]
[113120.450]
[113120.450] [mi] These backtraces from mieqEnqueue may point to a culprit higher up the stack.
[113120.450] [mi] mieq is *NOT* the cause.  It is a victim.
[113120.518] [mi] Increasing EQ size to 512 to prevent dropped events.
[113120.518] [mi] EQ processing has resumed after 49 dropped events.
[113120.518] [mi] This may be caused my a misbehaving driver monopolizing the server's resources.

Offline

#4256 2012-08-28 19:36:19

Reded
Member
From: Manchester, England
Registered: 2012-02-21
Posts: 233

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Hey guys, I'm using Catalyst Legacy from the catalyst-hd234k repo (I have an HD 4650) And after the kernel update today, fglrx doesn't seem to load - My display is slow and choppy (Dragging windows around isn't smooth, and games are EXTREMELY slow)

FGLRX returns this:

X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  139 (ATIFGLEXTENSION)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  66 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  13
  Current serial number in output stream:  13

I'm using Catalyst-daemon, not sure if I should be using anything else. I switched to systemd last week or so, so I guess it's that that's not initialising fglrx? I have a file in /etc/modules-load.d called autofglrx.conf, and it contains the line 'autofglrx' (It worked before... Should I change that?)

Is there something dumb I'm missing? Or is something going wrong? yikes


"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

Offline

#4257 2012-08-28 19:55:12

snack
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2009-01-13
Posts: 673

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Reded wrote:

Hey guys, I'm using Catalyst Legacy from the catalyst-hd234k repo (I have an HD 4650) And after the kernel update today, fglrx doesn't seem to load - My display is slow and choppy (Dragging windows around isn't smooth, and games are EXTREMELY slow)

FGLRX returns this:

X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  139 (ATIFGLEXTENSION)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  66 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  13
  Current serial number in output stream:  13

I'm using Catalyst-daemon, not sure if I should be using anything else. I switched to systemd last week or so, so I guess it's that that's not initialising fglrx? I have a file in /etc/modules-load.d called autofglrx.conf, and it contains the line 'autofglrx' (It worked before... Should I change that?)

Is there something dumb I'm missing? Or is something going wrong? yikes

I asked Vi0l0 about compatibility of catalyst-hd234 with linux 3.5 a couple of posts above, then decided to try. It works perfectly for me (x86_64, linux-ck-corex 3.5.3-2, Mobility HD3470, catalyst-daemon 12.6-3).

Offline

#4258 2012-08-28 21:41:03

andy_v
Member
From: Estonia
Registered: 2012-04-27
Posts: 31

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Reded wrote:

Hey guys, I'm using Catalyst Legacy from the catalyst-hd234k repo (I have an HD 4650) And after the kernel update today, fglrx doesn't seem to load - My display is slow and choppy (Dragging windows around isn't smooth, and games are EXTREMELY slow)

FGLRX returns this:

X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  139 (ATIFGLEXTENSION)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  66 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  13
  Current serial number in output stream:  13

I'm using Catalyst-daemon, not sure if I should be using anything else. I switched to systemd last week or so, so I guess it's that that's not initialising fglrx? I have a file in /etc/modules-load.d called autofglrx.conf, and it contains the line 'autofglrx' (It worked before... Should I change that?)

Is there something dumb I'm missing? Or is something going wrong? yikes

Seems that catalyst-daemon doesn't work with systemd yet (probably lacks a systemd unit) and hence the kernel module wasn't rebuilt when you upgraded the kernel. Try

sudo catalyst_build_module all

and reboot.

Offline

#4259 2012-08-28 22:06:43

Reded
Member
From: Manchester, England
Registered: 2012-02-21
Posts: 233

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

big_smile Thanks Andy_V, that worked!

*Makes a memo to do that everytime theres a kernel update*

There's a few small issues with systemd... I probably switched to it a bit prematurely tongue

Last edited by Reded (2012-08-28 22:10:24)


"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

Offline

#4260 2012-08-28 22:10:06

Vi0L0
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2009-06-24
Posts: 1,319
Website

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

rasmuz wrote:

Vi0L0 what is the difference between pxp package and non pxp?

pxp let you to use powerXpress technology, so you will be able to switch between integrated or discrete gfx card to gain either more battery life or more power on notebooks which can use this technology.
We can perform such a switch because this pxp package will:
*) let you to install libgl package (mesa's libgl is needed if you want to switch to intel driver)...
   a) pxp is placing it's own libGL library into other non-standard place. Then there is another important directory /usr/lib/castalystpxp where we are creating symlinks (symlinks to either catalyst's libGL library or mesa's libGL library - depends on what gpu you want to switch to), and we are telling the system to search for libraries in /usr/lib/castalystpxp in a first place, so before searching inside /usr/lib, otherwise it would always use mesa's libgl...
   b) pxp is placing it's own libglx library into other non-standard place. It's telling X to use /usr/lib/xorg/modules/updated/extensions in a first place, and there we are creating symlinks so we can switch between catalyst's or mesa's xorg module.
*) bring you switching scripts with which aticonfig could work, those scripts - switchlibGL and switchlibglx are now placed in /usr/lib/fglrx - as it looks like amd is no longer hardlinking aticonfig to use /usr/lib64. Those are simple bash scripts which i wrote basing on amd and suse scripts.
So with them you can successfully perform switching through aticonfig with:
aticonfig --px-dgpu
aticonfig --px-igpu
*) there's also another simple but usefull script called pxp_switch_catalyst (edit it to see what it's doing smile)


@fede1587:
it doesn't look good, if downgrading to xorg111 won't help you... and if "export CLUTTER_VBLANK=none" inside profile won't help you - i guess you should place bug report on unoficial ati's bugzilla.


[linux 3.5]
all catalyst's packages supports this kernel for many, many weeks smile
I've also updated catalyst package couple of hours ago, compiled on core's linux 3.5.3

as for a catalyst-daemon and systemd - like i said i'm working on it, for now systemd support isn't done, i suggest to use generator or hook...
and i must to say that after some quick research i've got problems with it.
It looks like target files are used to sync booting, we have to stop whole init (to not let kdm or gdm to start to early) so catalyst-daemon.service could work and compile fglrx and release it, but how to do it nicelly? For now i dunno... I'm not sure is it even possible smile
Even similar service like network got hardcoded into systemd network.target to not get out of sync...
Edit: Will ExecStartPre= be the answer?... gotta check it! Edit2: nope :-/


andy_v wrote:
sudo catalyst_build_module all

just to clarify: daemon doesn't support all option, it will build module for initialized kernel, so simple "sudo catalyst_build_modul" will do the same

Reded wrote:

*Makes a memo to do that everytime theres a kernel update*

Then i would choose generator :>


technolog wrote:

I am using the legacy fglrx driver (4K series).

Shall I upgrade to the new Xorg to 1.12.4 ?

Sure.



BTW: BIG thanks for all good words! It really means a lot to me! Indeed great community arch's got! :-)

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2012-08-29 20:38:59)

Offline

#4261 2012-08-28 22:18:46

snack
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2009-01-13
Posts: 673

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Once again, a big THANK YOU Vi0l0 for your excellent work with Catalyst. Never had a problem since I'm using your repos, their quality is at least on par with that of official Arch repos.

Offline

#4262 2012-08-28 22:49:29

andy_v
Member
From: Estonia
Registered: 2012-04-27
Posts: 31

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

snack wrote:

Once again, a big THANK YOU Vi0l0 for your excellent work with Catalyst. Never had a problem since I'm using your repos, their quality is at least on par with that of official Arch repos.

+1. Really appreciate the effort you've put into making catalyst so easily installable/usable in Arch linux!!

Offline

#4263 2012-08-30 18:31:17

PLANTROON
Member
From: Slovakia
Registered: 2012-08-08
Posts: 61

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Thank you Vi0L0, excellent work, but I said: fuck the guyz from AMD, they should do this work... You do it for free, dont you?? I had no problems installing the drivers from hd234k repo. +999...9

Offline

#4264 2012-08-31 08:08:32

Vi0L0
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2009-06-24
Posts: 1,319
Website

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

PLANTROON wrote:

Thank you Vi0L0, excellent work, but I said: fuck the guyz from AMD, they should do this work...

Naaah, maintaining packages for Arch and putting it into the repos shouldn't be their job cool

It would be very nice if they could write drivers which would "just" work on linux, without problems, without slowdowns, with full support of AMD's devices...
Support for fresh kernels and xserver is another thing...
Not to mention wine gaming or vaapi...
Yes, "they should do this work".
Maybe because of Steam upcoming for linux AMD will bring more attention into linux' catalyst roll.

PLANTROON wrote:

You do it for free, dont you?? I had no problems installing the drivers from hd234k repo. +999...9

Yes, free free. Thank you smile

Offline

#4265 2012-09-02 23:15:37

Thar
Member
Registered: 2007-08-28
Posts: 20

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

I recently learned that if I want to play 32-bit 3D games on Arch64, I need to swap my display driver for AMD's proprietary Catalyst hmm

This is problematic for several reasons (most importantly, I use non-stock kernel) and I am quite happy with open source driver. Is there any way to have 3D accel with multilib and still use xf86-video-ati? I know there is nothing on the wiki, but perhaps some undocumented method does exist? It is possible with Catalyst after all, so why not with open source driver?

Offline

#4266 2012-09-02 23:57:11

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2006-11-26
Posts: 5,819

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

There shouldn't be a problem with a non-stock kernel. The catalyst packages in the AUR provide an initcpio hook so every time your kernel (and kernel-headers) gets upgraded the driver is rebuilt. If you set up your system as per the instructions, you shouldn't have the slightest problem.


Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Offline

#4267 2012-09-03 15:02:56

libgradev
Member
From: Wandering the Wilds
Registered: 2012-02-23
Posts: 29

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Thar wrote:

I recently learned that if I want to play 32-bit 3D games on Arch64, I need to swap my display driver for AMD's proprietary Catalyst hmm

This is problematic for several reasons (most importantly, I use non-stock kernel) and I am quite happy with open source driver. Is there any way to have 3D accel with multilib and still use xf86-video-ati? I know there is nothing on the wiki, but perhaps some undocumented method does exist? It is possible with Catalyst after all, so why not with open source driver?

As .:B:. says a custom kernel should be a non-issue - I ran with linux-ck for some time.

Gaming: you will need the 32bit libs and I'm not sure of the state of these on the open source driver but you can install them easily with Catalyst.

Depeding on what you are trying to run you may just be better switching - last I tried the open driver (~10 months ago) there was significant graphical glitches and slowdowns on my HD6950.


ASUS P8Z68V-PRO | Intel Core i7-2600K | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | AMD RX480 8GB | LG 34UC88 | 3x NEC EA232WMi | 2x Crucial M4 128GB (RAID0) | 5x WD Red 4TB (RAID6) | Sennheiser URBANITE XL Wireless | Roccat KoneXTD Optical

Offline

#4268 2012-09-04 07:49:21

davidovitch
Member
From: Copenhagen
Registered: 2011-02-02
Posts: 31
Website

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Thar wrote:

I recently learned that if I want to play 32-bit 3D games on Arch64, I need to swap my display driver for AMD's proprietary Catalyst hmm

This is problematic for several reasons (most importantly, I use non-stock kernel) and I am quite happy with open source driver. Is there any way to have 3D accel with multilib and still use xf86-video-ati? I know there is nothing on the wiki, but perhaps some undocumented method does exist? It is possible with Catalyst after all, so why not with open source driver?

I don't have any experience in the field of open source drivers and serious gaming, but Phoronix does publish a lot of articles and benchmarks regarding the progress of the open source drivers. From what I read there, I have the impression it is progressing forwards everyday although they are still no match for the catalyst blob.

Offline

#4269 2012-09-04 15:42:54

Resistance
Member
Registered: 2012-09-04
Posts: 26

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Hi,
first, thanks for your work Vi0L0 ;-).

I was wondering if you guys knew a way of controlling the fan speed (cause the temperature is fine and the sound is really annoying) ?
I don't have this option anymore in amdcccle.
I can change it from 50 to 100% using the command "aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 >50"" but

aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 49"
PPLIB command execution has failed!
ati_pplib_cmd: execute "set" failed!

Even tried the SDK from AMD but apparently the Overdrive5 functions are not supported hmm (http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1283438#1283438).

Anyway, if somebody have an idea, would be cool, thanks ;D

Offline

#4270 2012-09-06 04:37:39

ssfdust
Member
Registered: 2012-09-06
Posts: 31

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

hello,@Vi0L0,thanks for your work.
i have tried several catalyst combinations like catalyst-utils and catalyst , catalyst-utils and catalyst-daemon or catalyst-total.but none worked.i can't even configure successfully when using aticonfig.it always gives me messages switchlibGL not found.
Last,i try catalyst-pxp ,it configures successfully.but xorg doesn't work.it prints "no sreens found".i think i meet a similar problem as commonmanthemes.i also read reed1's comments.but no matter i switch modeset or nomodeset, it doesn't work.I check my bios to find i can only switch UMA and switchable.could you offer me some ideas?


Lenovo Y471A-ifi
Arch x86_64 KDE Vim zsh
To enjoy brand new start

Offline

#4271 2012-09-07 09:28:05

Gen2ly
Member
From: Sevierville, TN
Registered: 2009-03-06
Posts: 1,529
Website

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Just installed catalyst driver from Vi0l0 repository and I had a hard lock (freeze in hardware, even Alt + PrntScrn + REISUB doesn't work) when trying to switch to the integrated GPU:

sudo aticonfig --px-igpu
sudo pkill X

The Xorg.0.log doesn't look to help me much.  Tried three times and got the same result.  I tried this from the console and it looks to be an IRQ conflict?  I'm not sure:

pic

Anybody else seen this?


Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

Offline

#4272 2012-09-07 18:03:03

civi
Member
Registered: 2012-09-07
Posts: 6

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

I have problem with catalyst drivers. When I had open drivers everything works fine, but when I install catalyst-total-hd234k 12.6-4 I cannot turn off my computer because I have freez on word POWER OFF. Hibernate works fine, but shutdown -h now and poweroff not working. I turning off arch by reboot and push the button? Any solution for this problem? I have kernel 3.5.3-1
Here is my dmesg http://pastebin.com/agW5vAnW
Xorg http://pastebin.com/jXQaY0nG
and everything log http://wklej.org/id/821195/

Last edited by civi (2012-09-07 19:28:20)

Offline

#4273 2012-09-10 15:43:51

szharkov
Member
Registered: 2012-06-10
Posts: 2

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

ssfdust wrote:

hello,@Vi0L0,thanks for your work.
i have tried several catalyst combinations like catalyst-utils and catalyst , catalyst-utils and catalyst-daemon or catalyst-total.but none worked.i can't even configure successfully when using aticonfig.it always gives me messages switchlibGL not found.
Last,i try catalyst-pxp ,it configures successfully.but xorg doesn't work.it prints "no sreens found".i think i meet a similar problem as commonmanthemes.i also read reed1's comments.but no matter i switch modeset or nomodeset, it doesn't work.I check my bios to find i can only switch UMA and switchable.could you offer me some ideas?

I guess I had the same issue. But reed1's advice worked - I downgraded Intel driver (xf86-video-intel) to the 2.20.2-2 version. After that X server started successfully, but Gnome login screen didn't appear. I could only see the wallpaper and mouse, although I could move it and I could switch to the other tty. As a temporary solution I switched to the integrated graphic card and it loaded fine, I managed to log in and enabled automatic login (without password verification). It helped, now it works with AMD graphic card, but I wonder how to make it work with password verification. Also I wonder how to make it work with updated xf86-video-intel driver. Could someone give me a hint? Thanks in advance.

Offline

#4274 2012-09-13 10:38:18

ssfdust
Member
Registered: 2012-09-06
Posts: 31

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

szharkov wrote:
ssfdust wrote:

hello,@Vi0L0,thanks for your work.
i have tried several catalyst combinations like catalyst-utils and catalyst , catalyst-utils and catalyst-daemon or catalyst-total.but none worked.i can't even configure successfully when using aticonfig.it always gives me messages switchlibGL not found.
Last,i try catalyst-pxp ,it configures successfully.but xorg doesn't work.it prints "no sreens found".i think i meet a similar problem as commonmanthemes.i also read reed1's comments.but no matter i switch modeset or nomodeset, it doesn't work.I check my bios to find i can only switch UMA and switchable.could you offer me some ideas?

I guess I had the same issue. But reed1's advice worked - I downgraded Intel driver (xf86-video-intel) to the 2.20.2-2 version. After that X server started successfully, but Gnome login screen didn't appear. I could only see the wallpaper and mouse, although I could move it and I could switch to the other tty. As a temporary solution I switched to the integrated graphic card and it loaded fine, I managed to log in and enabled automatic login (without password verification). It helped, now it works with AMD graphic card, but I wonder how to make it work with password verification. Also I wonder how to make it work with updated xf86-video-intel driver. Could someone give me a hint? Thanks in advance.

thanks for your reply.when i am free ,i will try again.could you post your xorg.conf ?


Lenovo Y471A-ifi
Arch x86_64 KDE Vim zsh
To enjoy brand new start

Offline

#4275 2012-09-13 19:10:40

szharkov
Member
Registered: 2012-06-10
Posts: 2

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Here is my xorg.conf (when AMD card is active):

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
	Driver      "fglrx"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
	Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
	Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB