You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-02 00:16:44

dom96

[Solved] Gnome 3 goes into fallback mode after graphics card upgrade

Hello,

I have been using Arch with an AMD Radeon HD 4670 and open source drivers for the past couple of months together with Cinnamon, everything was working well. Recently I have upgraded to an AMD Radeon HD7750 which is not supported by the open source drivers, I have removed the open source drivers and installed the catalyst-total package from the AUR. After doing so Cinnamon failed to start and gave me an error, I have decided to try Gnome 3 and it just goes into fall back mode which I assume Cinnamon cannot work with.

XFCE however works. There is one small issue with it though, the left and right borders of windows are missing (borders of context menus are missing too). Other than that it seems fine however.

What is the problem? Is Gnome 3 support for Catalyst just simply very bad? or have I installed something incorrectly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: Catalyst 12.9 recently came out and a corresponding catalyst-total package was released, intially it broke my X install but after re-running aticonfig --initial it worked fine. I have uncovered an option in the Catalayst Control Centre which lets me use two screens without Xinerama, doing the following: Display Manager -> Multi-display -> Multi-display desktop with display(s) 1, allows me to use compositing and my two screens, and I am still able to drag windows between the screens. After I have saved these new settings I have reloaded Cinnamon and it worked perfectly.

Last edited by dom96 (2012-10-15 15:41:28)

#2 2012-09-02 11:25:34

dom96

Re: [Solved] Gnome 3 goes into fallback mode after graphics card upgrade

Another thing that I have noticed is a strange X error when launching 'xsane': https://gist.github.com/7f28ac7cd393c8671ed3

Board footer