You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-28 18:05:09

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

capabilities module

Modinfo says this is a linux securtiy module, which doesn't tell me a whole lot.
Can anyone explain what exactly this does and what its used for other than vsftd?

#2 2005-09-28 21:36:53

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: capabilities module

I believe 'capabilities' was some security implementation in the 2.4 kernel series. In the 2.5 line, the LSM was used (linux security module), which allows a stackable security interface.

SELinux, LIDS, and a few other MAC systems utilize the lsm. I imagine that 'capabilities' was carried forward in some regard, and rewritten to utilize the LSM for its policy backend. Never used it myself though..so I dont know what 'capabilities' is for sure..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-09-29 05:10:58

awalk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capability_%28computers%29

Maybe that'll answer some questions? Don't have any experience using the Linux implementation.

#4 2005-09-29 11:21:10

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

hmm...so I take it this 'capabilities module' is an active mechanism to stop other programs from modifying permissions to other files and programs through security hooks or stackable security interfaces(?).
Regardless, I gather this is mainly used for servers not desktops, which was my main concern in the first place.
Thanks guys.

Board footer