You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-01 14:38:43

hozza

Arch Wiki Software Update and Formatting Contribution

I'm new to Arch but old to Linux.

Really want to get involved (especially with the amazing Wiki), I just have a few questions, I'm far from a Wiki expert.

The Wiki seems to be in the "old style" of Wikipedia? A few months back the GUI changed on Wikipedia and I assume this was a version update or something? If so, why has the Arch Wiki not been updated, did it introduce new bugs or something?

And, I've noticed a few gramatical errors and formatting hiccups. Is it acceptable for a new Wiki user to get started off my fixing these issues? (changing the spellings and making small formatting tweaks)

Thanks for the help in advance and if I'm being a n00b feel free to shut me down and send me to the relevant documentation. smile

#2 2012-09-01 15:10:15

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Re: Arch Wiki Software Update and Formatting Contribution

It is completely up to you what you do to a wiki contents. You are welcome fixing those spelling issues, etc. especially as this is not a very popular task to do.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#3 2012-09-01 15:24:01

hozza

Lovely! Anyone have any insite into the software version thingy?

#4 2012-09-01 15:58:59

hozza

Also, this is quite frustrating. I'm trying to register with the Arch Wiki, filling in the form. With the human/arch verification system, which I'm quite comfortable with (as I did it to get on this forum).

I fill in the Wiki registration form (even though the form appears broken as the "Answer" textbox displays above and slightly to the right of the "What does this output?" question) and I give it the output. I'm quire sure I'm doing it right but the page just flashes and will not register my account.

I've tried getting the output from 2 Linux OS's and tried registering on two different OS's. I'll try another browser.

Edit: Nope, still does not work on another browser. Can anyone help?

Last edited by hozza (2012-09-01 16:01:18)

#5 2012-09-01 16:08:35

hozza

hozza wrote:

Also, this is quite frustrating. I'm trying to register with the Arch Wiki, filling in the form. With the human/arch verification system, which I'm quite comfortable with (as I did it to get on this forum).

I fill in the Wiki registration form (even though the form appears broken as the "Answer" textbox displays above and slightly to the right of the "What does this output?" question) and I give it the output. I'm quire sure I'm doing it right but the page just flashes and will not register my account.

I've tried getting the output from 2 Linux OS's and tried registering on two different OS's. I'll try another browser.

Edit: Nope, still does not work on another browser. Can anyone help?

Woops, sorry. My system clock was out, thats a little evil.

#6 2012-09-01 18:08:23

karol
Archivist

hozza wrote:

The Wiki seems to be in the "old style" of Wikipedia? A few months back the GUI changed on Wikipedia and I assume this was a version update or something? If so, why has the Arch Wiki not been updated, did it introduce new bugs or something?

Do you mean the new Wikipedia skin https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti … kin=vector ?
You can pick it from the list in 'Appearance' tab in 'My preferences' once you're logged into the wiki.

#7 2012-09-01 18:16:59

fsckd
Forum Fellow

hozza wrote:

It does get updated and there is a thread or two where it has been announced. The skin used on our wiki is called "archlinux" and is based on Wikipedia's "monobook". Wikipedia's new skin is called "vector" and is available. You can set it via account preferences when you finish registration. You can also see it without logging in by adding "&useskin=vector" to the url, like this. In a similar way you can make Wikipedia use "monobook".

Edit: beaten by karol. smile

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#8 2012-09-01 18:40:12

hozza

karol wrote:

Do you mean the new Wikipedia skin https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti … kin=vector ?
You can pick it from the list in 'Appearance' tab in 'My preferences' once you're logged into the wiki.

Thank you, that is what I meant.

fsckd wrote:

It does get updated and there is a thread or two where it has been announced. The skin used on our wiki is called "archlinux" and is based on Wikipedia's "monobook". Wikipedia's new skin is called "vector" and is available. You can set it via account preferences when you finish registration. You can also see it without logging in by adding "&useskin=vector" to the url, like this. In a similar way you can make Wikipedia use "monobook".

I see now, it's just a skin and not a sign of an older software version. Is there any reason Arch sticks with the old style (monobook) skin rather than the more beautiful new style (vector)?

And is there any way we (If other agree with me) can get it changed to vector? A poll or something maybe.

#9 2012-09-01 20:24:16

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

hozza wrote:

Is there any reason Arch sticks with the old style (monobook) skin rather than the more beautiful new style (vector)?

It's not clear to me that the vector skin is all that "stable" -- for example:

1) The header of the wiki is jacked-up with vector compared to arch classic.
2) Browse to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd and check out the incorrect spacing.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#10 2012-09-02 13:49:12

hozza

Looks fine to me, would need a few tweaks though. To incorporate the Arch colours etc. and the logo doesn't really fit there, over to the left.

I'm quite handy with CSS,XHTML,JS etc. If I were to make a nicer Arch-ified Vector theme, do you think I would be used and how would I submit it to the people who run the Arch Wiki?

#11 2012-09-02 14:08:00

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

@hozza - Yes, just open a flyspray with your patch.  Patches are HIGHLY recommended for feature requests.

EDIT: Just realized there isn't a project in the bug tracker for the wiki... perhaps bernarcher can suggest?

Last edited by graysky (2012-09-02 14:14:51)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#12 2012-09-02 20:38:32

hozza

Ok, I'll start on the skin. Can someone (bernarcher) start a project in the bug tracker or something? I've never used flyspray before.

#13 2012-09-02 21:24:07

karol
Archivist

I'm not sure if it will be accepted. Maybe it falls under "we don't patch upstream code" and just as there's only of Arch-themed forum style, there's just one for the wiki.

#14 2012-09-02 22:46:57

fsckd
Forum Fellow

hozza wrote:

Can someone (bernarcher) start a project in the bug tracker or something? I've never used flyspray before.

Forum moderators do not have special powers on the bug tracker. wink
Search the bug tracker for how feature requests for the wiki are made. Copy them.
Good luck. smile

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#15 2012-09-02 22:56:09

luvfree

hozza wrote:

first we'll have to teach you how to spell insight. ^o^

Linux only since 2002! Arch Linux only since 2010!
UEFI booting an intel based system trouble free since 2016!

#16 2012-09-02 22:58:06

Allan
Pacman
Website

There is a "Web Sites" category in the Arch Linux project of FlySpray

#17 2012-09-03 10:22:34

hozza

luvfree wrote:
hozza wrote:

first we'll have to teach you how to spell insight. ^o^

Apologies, my speeling is bad. I can spell all the code right, thats all that matters. wink

Allan wrote:

There is a "Web Sites" category in the Arch Linux project of FlySpray

Cheers, I'll look into that.

Last edited by hozza (2012-09-03 10:24:44)

#18 2012-09-03 14:48:42

ANOKNUSA

hozza wrote:
karol wrote:

Thank you, that is what I meant.

fsckd wrote:

I see now, it's just a skin and not a sign of an older software version. Is there any reason Arch sticks with the old style (monobook) skin rather than the more beautiful new style (vector)?

And is there any way we (If other agree with me) can get it changed to vector? A poll or something maybe.

And what if I don't like "vector?"  What if I prefer the current style as-is?  Why, then I suppose I'd have to take five seconds to change it myself from "vector" to "monobook," as anyone can change from "monobook" to "vector" in the "My Preferences" tab.  I don't mean any offense but, to be blunt, I was under the impression that this thread was about contributing to and updating the wiki, not asking the devs to force a cosmetic change upon the whole community just because you don't want to take the infinitesimally small amount of time to change your personal settings.  Submitting your own patch to correct the stylesheet issues would be totally cool, though.

P.S: As with  most other aspects of life, polls are virtually meaningless here.

#19 2012-09-03 15:28:04

stefanwilkens

Great to hear that you're motivated to work on Arch's excellent documentation!

Before you start poking holes in the various articles, have a look at this wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Help:Style
It documents the article style that we try to apply across the whole of the Arch Linux wiki.

Major props to the Arch Linux wiki team for realizing this uniform style.

And, I've noticed a few gramatical errors and formatting hiccups. Is it acceptable for a new Wiki user to get started off my fixing these issues? (changing the spellings and making small formatting tweaks)

This is always beneficial. Go forth and fixeth smile

Last edited by stefanwilkens (2012-09-03 15:29:36)

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

#20 2012-09-03 15:29:55

WonderWoofy

ANOKNUSA wrote:

I don't mean any offense but, to be blunt, I was under the impression that this thread was about contributing to and updating the wiki, not asking the devs to force a cosmetic change upon the whole community just because you don't want to take the infinitesimally small amount of time to change your personal settings.  Submitting your own patch to correct the stylesheet issues would be totally cool, though.

I too am a bit confused as to the discrepency between the topic and content of this thread.  In the time taken to respond one could have cycled through all the wiki gui options. 

About the polls being meaningless... do you subscribe to the arch-general mailing list... that poll and most of the discussion around it is worthless.

#21 2012-09-03 15:31:45

hozza

ANOKNUSA wrote:

And what if I don't like "vector?"  What if I prefer the current style as-is?  Why, then I suppose I'd have to take five seconds to change it myself from "vector" to "monobook," as anyone can change from "monobook" to "vector" in the "My Preferences" tab.  I don't mean any offense but, to be blunt, I was under the impression that this thread was about contributing to and updating the wiki, not asking the devs to force a cosmetic change upon the whole community just because you don't want to take the infinitesimally small amount of time to change your personal settings.  Submitting your own patch to correct the stylesheet issues would be totally cool, though.

I don't mean to step on anyones toes or upset any Archers. I was just enquiring as to why the skin wasn't updated to the latest version (i.e. from monobook to vector) as I'm sure that there are other reasons other than general consensus that Wikipedia decided to upgrade, such as performance and/or optimisation?

I haven't looked at the code so I can't be sure. It's not really important at all, and if people didn't want to change then obviously it wouldn't be changed.

I just thought as Wikipedia did it (upgraded) shouldn't we? smile

P.S. I'll do the Arch version patch anywho, just so it can be available and working, for those who wish to use it.

#22 2012-09-03 18:01:03

Zancarius

hozza wrote:

I just thought as Wikipedia did it (upgraded) shouldn't we? smile

Wikipedia upgraded their UI much to the chagrin of their user base. MediaWiki, Wikipedia, etc., are all owned by the Wikimedia Foundation, so if the software changes or the preferred theme changes, all their sites change with it. smile

While I'm still not convinced that "vector" is a marked improvement over the old theme, as with any change, I've forced myself to adapt and get used to it. It's not that bad. Heck, it's even an improvement in some respects. I think the single biggest complaint was with the placement of the search box (which is important for a wiki), and breaking users of old habits can be difficult. The interesting thing about change on this scale is that, fast forward a year--or two or three--and you'll be hard pressed to find an average user who even remembers what it was like. We're an odd species sometimes!

But, I'm all for cleanup. Cleanup is good, and if you're willing to invest the time in making it even better, more power to you. That's really the underlying spirit of the Arch community--everyone contributes in their own way. I think the more important part is that everyone can contribute to almost anything. That's what really sets Arch apart from others.

Last edited by Zancarius (2012-09-03 22:08:58)

He who has no .plan has small finger.
~Confucius on UNIX.

Board footer