You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-30 14:16:07

gnome menu's with arch

i know that the menus are one of gnomes few downfalls, because i see lots of posts about them everywhere, but i wanted to try here with a couple of questions.

first off, and i kinda doubt this, is there some magical way to just populate the menus. ive never actually used debian, but someone told me when you apt-get something, it just pops in the menu's in gnome and kde. is there anyway to have that happen with arch. and is there some magical script that will just run through normal directories and find stuff and put it in the menus?

beyond that, stuff that is already in the menu seems to have some magical lock with the icons. if i change my icon theme, i know the gaim in my menu will get that icon, but if i manuallly add gaim, it will not. what is the trick to that, i thought it might somehow be related to what i was asking above.

thanks!

#2 2003-11-30 19:21:09

kritoke
Website

Re: gnome menu's with arch

It is actually pretty easy, but very undocumented for the most part.  Open up Nautilus and go to this url: applications:/// and then you can just right click and create new launcher to add a new application.  It is pretty straightforward to do other things, you just right click properties to change those icons and what they point to and such.  Most gnome programs in arch install themselves to the gnome menus automatically in Gnome 2.4.

Kritoke

http://counter.li.org/ Registered Linux User #318963 kritoke@jabber.org

#3 2003-11-30 19:25:52

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Debian's system is kinda neat.  They wrote a program called 'menu' that converts a simple menu file to different WMs menu formats.  It's a cool system, but I don't think it's appropriate for Arch.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2003-11-30 19:30:56

kritoke
Website

That does sound nifty, I never used debian much beyond getting so pissed off at it and it's dependency hell that I had to remove it rather quickly, hehe.

Kritoke

#5 2003-11-30 19:32:57

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

We really don't need to argue over dependency problems with different distros... as much as I'd like to defend Debian  wink

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#6 2003-11-30 20:11:11

kritoke
Website

Agreed.  I think my problems always were caused by using unofficial repositories.  I hope the TURs never get that pain in the ass, so far we seem to be doing a good job and hopefully it will stay that way.

Kritoke

#7 2003-12-01 05:07:24

sarah31
Website

never had a problem with debians' "dependecy hell" i used all three of their repos at one time or another without issue. the only time debians dependencies become a pain in the ass is upon removal. i had lots of instance where one few hundred KB app would take out a few hundred MB of packages.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#8 2003-12-01 05:11:22

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

He's talking about using other people's repos, not any of the official debian ones.  That's when you run into problems, using unofficial repos.

- Blaise Pascal

#9 2003-12-29 00:17:24

is there some magical way to just populate the menus. ive never actually used debian, but someone told me when you apt-get something, it just pops in the menu's in gnome and kde. is there anyway to have that happen with arch. and is there some magical script that will just run through normal directories and find stuff and put it in the menus?

So, there is a solution or not ?

#10 2003-12-29 02:04:14

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

no

- Blaise Pascal

#11 2003-12-29 02:39:54

RdsArts

ksi_ wrote:

So, there is a solution or not ?

Well, there is one that's sure-fire to fix the problem.....

Don't use GNOME. wink

Board footer